I hope Mejia wins for 2 reasons

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
What's with this vegetable fetish??

Sorry O&C only you are interested in EATING our president..

I bet you like doing Hippo? What is he a nice fat watermelon?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Onions&carrots said:
fdnz is as bland as boiled idaho potatoes with no condiments. bush everyone's grammar here stinks- unerstanable? - okay bob.

rob i challenge you to a duel at high noon for ye have offended my honor. place the ok coral. at 15 paces according the rules of genteelmen.

you'll be surprised at hippo's landslide win. sources which i can't name have guaranteed his win in the first round.

There are people who post here who are totally understandable when they post. There are others who find a little difficulty in expressing themselves & their posts become difficult to understand! Then there is O & C!!!!!!! Heck, he doesn't even understand himself when he tries to be "Clever" or tries to insite the masses!!!

As I mentioned earlier & Rob has confirmed, this person (if one can call him that) always tries to get a storm going to get his own 15 minutes of exposure (he thinks it is fame)!! Those of us that have known him for the last 5 years or so, just treat him with the disdain he deserves - might I suggest we all do te same & let him get back to his kindergarten? He won't have the gaul to be posting once the elections are over unless he tries to say it was all a jest & he didn't mean any of what he wrote. ...... Hmmm sounds a bit like Hippo himself!!!! - Grahame.

Mar 21, 2002
we all live in a yellow submarine

conjusive - is that a new power drink? lol how about another r in referrencing to emphasize the point? insite - is that the british rendition? like centre? you unerstan? j/k

mejia is the duly elected president by a totally transparent electoral process. as such it would behoove you to respect him as such.

you know he does look like a fat watermelon?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Onions&carrots said:
conjusive - is that a new power drink? lol how about another r in referrencing to emphasize the point? insite - is that the british rendition? like centre? you unerstan? j/k

mejia is the duly elected president by a totally transparent electoral process. as such it would behoove you to respect him as such.

you know he does look like a fat watermelon?

Oh Yes .... & he can't write English either!! Capitals come at the beginning of sentences & are required for Proper nouns & question marks are not required at the end of STATEMENTS, exclamation mark or just a full stop is sufficient!!

My, where was this guy dragged up from & by whom?? - Grahame.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
So maybe I am selfish.......(altho' I waited almost 8 yrs to do the reno!)

but I don't think I'm painting EVERYONE with the same brush......
You will note I said "the average Dominican" - meaning those who work for the "average wage" in the DR. Those that I know who are among the "rich" certainly aren't going to vote for 'his baldness' (they didn't last time either!), nor are the "middle" class who have lost so much during this past administration.
However try to have an intelligent,politically oriented conversation with almost anyone in Guayacanes (who are overwhelmingly voting BLANCO) or with the maid, the gardener, the plumber,the electrician, the carpenter, the mechanic etc in Juan Dolio and the conversation will usually end with you banging your head against the wall because " todo 'tan ladrones - no es importante qui es presidente. son todo lo mismo" (pardon my poor Spanish!).
THEN ask the question I posed!! You'll get the same answer every time.
It is NOT a trick question if asked in a serious context and anyone I've asked before to make a point has always answered "they both weigh the same" and then chuckled when they realized the point I had just made!! :surprised
Somehow they can't understand that altho' platano was a half a peso each during the last gov't and is now 7 pesos each they believe what 'Hippo" has told them- 'the dollar has gone up' even tho' we tell them it hasn't really (ours had but the US$ hadn't) -it's because the peso has GONE DOWN!
Ask why a platano that is grown locally would cost more because the "dollar has gone up"!!
As a joke at a barbeque in Guayacanes, just before we left to come back to Canada, we stuck a purple "Leonel" sticker on the inside of the bathroom door - pandemonium broke loose when the first person after it was placed used the facilities!! There was almost a lynching until it was made plain that WE had placed it as a joke (the owner of the premises is a staunch Hippo supporter even tho' he isn't on the gov't payroll and has seen his income devalued as much as everyone elses').

So like CC has so often said or implied' if the Dominicans can't see the folly' why should I feel guilty about enjoying the added purchasing power MY $$ has??
It will be interesting to see WHO DOES win May 16th (while I hope it's purple my money is betting on a white win!!)

Last edited:

TERRY

Feb 1, 2002
MommC said:
but I don't think I'm painting EVERYONE with the same brush......
You will note I said "the average Dominican" - meaning those who work for the "average wage" in the DR. Those that I know who are among the "rich" certainly aren't going to vote for 'his baldness' (they didn't last time either!), nor are the "middle" class who have lost so much during this past administration.
However try to have an intelligent,politically oriented conversation with almost anyone in Guayacanes (who are overwhelmingly voting BLANCO) or with the maid, the gardener, the plumber,the electrician, the carpenter, the mechanic etc in Juan Dolio and the conversation will usually end with you banging your head against the wall because " todo 'tan ladrones - no es importante qui es presidente. son todo lo mismo" (pardon my poor Spanish!).
THEN ask the question I posed!! You'll get the same answer every time.
It is NOT a trick question if asked in a serious context and anyone I've asked before to make a point has always answered "they both weigh the same" and then chuckled when they realized the point I had just made!! :surprised
Somehow they can't understand that altho' platano was a half a peso each during the last gov't and is now 7 pesos each they believe what 'Hippo" has told them- 'the dollar has gone up' even tho' we tell them it hasn't really (ours had but the US$ hadn't) -it's because the peso has GONE DOWN!
Ask why a platano that is grown locally would cost more because the "dollar has gone up"!!
As a joke at a barbeque in Guayacanes, just before we left to come back to Canada, we stuck a purple "Leonel" sticker on the inside of the bathroom door - pandemonium broke loose when the first person after it was placed used the facilities!! There was almost a lynching until it was made plain that WE had placed it as a joke (the owner of the premises is a staunch Hippo supporter even tho' he isn't on the gov't payroll and has seen his income devalued as much as everyone elses').

So like CC has so often said or implied' if the Dominicans can't see the folly' why should I feel guilty about enjoying the added purchasing power MY $$ has??
It will be interesting to see WHO DOES win May 16th (while I hope it's purple my money is betting on a white win!!)
"They are all robbers" is not an ucommon response to this question in Canada, U.K. U.S.etc.
MommC I was wondering why you make yourself a target with these condescending posts.Then I noticed your reasons for editing.You have my sympathies.
Terry.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
it is so

I find this is so, also, but I also find it is a definite minority now....most middle and lower middle class people realize what has happened to them but, there is a hard-core of the Dominican Revolutionary Party (PRD) followers who forgive everything that their 'leaders' do and they could set fire to the entire country and that would still be fine with them....I think what's wrong with them is that they eat too many plantains....EL PLATANO EMBRUTECE (plantains make people dumber) and the PRD's followers probably have a higher than average diet of this...??

I feel as you do....I earn US$ here and I have kept up and some things are less expensive but, I want Hipo out because my country, after getting on the right path in 1996 and making a generational leap, has gone back at least 10 years in the last 4 with this ding-dong in charge and that's bad for everybody....like someone said previously here, to support a bad government is not only irresponsible but inmoral.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Like the "Dominican jorks" who return after living in "Nueba Yol"

and combining the worst of both cultures,I find myself thinking like a Domincan after living here for 9 years!!!!!!!!! I do what "I" please,even if it is to the detriment of others!! I throw my trash out the window of my van.I park wherever I damn well please! One way streets,not to me! Traffic back-up,I go around!I am actually becoming a pretty good "Lier"! Not up to Dominican standards yet,but give me time!If I tell you I will be somewhere at 8 pm,"Forgedaboudit"!
The fredom is the best part about life here!
The DR,where the "Morally Bankrupt" is KING!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The right attitude..

frank alvarez said:
I feel as you do....I earn US$ here and I have kept up and some things are less expensive but, I want Hipo out because my country, after getting on the right path in 1996 and making a generational leap, has gone back at least 10 years in the last 4 with this ding-dong in charge and that's bad for everybody.....

I too, have benefited from purchasing goods from stores that had not compensated for the devaluation of the pesos. I am not denying that the rapid devaluation that El Burro caused was beneficial to those who had US currency on hand, as they got more bang for their buck.
The real point is as Frank Alvarez says above.
Bravo Frank !

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Keep in mind that I can't vote so have no say in who is elected.....

the best I can do is "debate" the "virtues" of one candidate over another and attempt to persuade some of those who don't normally vote that only they can change the way things are. The ones in my neighbourhood didn't listen last time (they were convinced that Hippo was going to give them everything for nothing ) and by all appearances they are now convinced that "the good times" will come if his baldness is elected again!! How does one convince an adult that Santa Claus really doesn't exist except for that short period before elections when he's busy buying votes with free rice and motorcycles if you happen to be in the right place at the right time???
Is it "morally" wrong to take advantage of the higher buying power my Canadian dollar has??? I don't think so......
Am I being condescending as Terry suggests??
No...I'm just stating (in a very detailed manner) what I witnessed in my area in the four months I was there this year.
Do many really say "they're all crooks " in Canada,the US and Europe? Of course some do, however we do attempt to elect those we feel will do the best job for the country with the least amount of "patronage" (or feeding at the trough as we in Canada are prone to say). We don't expect our gov't to give us something for nothing (unless of course you're part of the "welfare" minority) and realize that what we do get will cost but we do know that our schools are educating, our hospitals function (even with waiting lists at least when your number comes up the resources are there) and our police are not a large part of the problem (yeah we all have bad ones in the barrel but humans are an imperfect lot!). :devious:
BTW ....my reason for editting my previous post fits all of us at some point or another! :confused:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I don't think it is morally wrong to take advantage of the higher purchasing power of U.S./Canadian dollar, PROVIDED one increases the level of one's charitable contributions accordingly. I would find it hard to live with myself if I simply got the best exchange rate going & then kept it. If you plough it back into the country by providing more employment, giving more meals etc to hungry people, then one is not pillaging the economy.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
spending the money

If I am spending money and staying on a budget it does not matter how good of a return I get I still support the economy. I hate to say it but part of the attraction of the DR is the bad economy is good for us immigrants (EXPATS).
So while we emotionally may feel bad for the poor Dominicans we are more than happy to hire that maid now that the cost of labor as become reletively lower. It is just how hypocritical we really are. We want the economy to improve but so much that the cost of living increase to the level of our home countries.
This said as a want to be imigrant.
John

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Ex-pat $ is very welcome

No ex-pat should feel bad about the state of the economy and capitalizing on it, on the contrary you are only helping not hurting as long as your money is spent legally of course.

Only Dominicans are to fault for poor choices for president. Don't feel it is none of your business to express your opinion to those around you even if you don't have the right to vote, on the contrary if you do have a positive influence on people by all means express what your conscience tells you, that is part of democracy and you have the right because your money makes a difference.

Rosemary

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 13, 2004
Narcosis said:
No ex-pat should feel bad about the state of the economy and capitalizing on it, on the contrary you are only helping not hurting as long as your money is spent legally of course.

Only Dominicans are to fault for poor choices for president. Don't feel it is none of your business to express your opinion to those around you even if you don't have the right to vote, on the contrary if you do have a positive influence on people by all means express what your conscience tells you, that is part of democracy and you have the right because your money makes a difference.
IN the name of anything sacred, where do you justify, that money has the right to command anything ! It and you may rule and conquer people, but only to a limit ! Dreams, Pride, Dignity, will ride only so far on money, then they part company ! Thank God ! To someone like you ,I wish you three stones !

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
originally posted by ROSEMARY IN the name of anything sacred, where do you justify, that money has the right to command anything ! It and you may rule and conquer people, but only to a limit ! Dreams, Pride, Dignity, will ride only so far on money, then they part company ! Thank God ! To someone like you ,I wish you three stones !

No-one said money was "commanding" anything......nor is it!
Lambada, jsizemore, and Narcosis have it right when they say that it's ex-pat $$$ that support this country (The Dominican Republic -in case you think I mean Canada!). I personally contribute roughly $20,000 Can dollars each year to the economy and more in the years that I do renovations or purchase big ticket items like vehicles or furniture. I also contribute to the employment stats by employing household help and also by teaching a class every year while I am here that gives skills to young people which enable them to obtain employment.
That doesn't take into consideration the "charitable" contributions I make each year (which CCCCC takes me to task for -see the "it's about time" thread!).
Nor does it include the "tourists" who visit each year (and spend their $$$ here) because I've invited them to the island! It also doesn't include the tour operators and fisherman who increase their income because as a "friend" I actively seek revenue generating opportunities for them (I.E. talking to other tourists at the local coffee shop/disco/bars to convince them to take a tour or to let them know where they can get fresh fish for tomorrow nights' dinner!).
I did my best last time around to convince those I know to vote for the PLD (yes as CCCChris said Leonel did do the best for the country and the country has gone back not 10 years but more like 30 under "Hippo's " rule) and I did my darndest this year to convince them again to vote "purple" for Leonel. Will they??? Nope!! They wanna be part of the "Good Times" his baldness is promising! :disappoin
Do they deserve what they get??? Guess I'll take a page from CCCCChris on this one!! :alien:

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Rosemary:

Thanks for the stones?? maybe you are having a bad day/life who knows I on the contrary wish you the best.

We should not mix oranges and apples on this subject, what Rosemary is accusing me of is exactly what Hippo/PRD are doing in this campaign; buying conscience through votes.

What the poor of the DR need, is to rid this type of practice which is used againts them.

They should on the other hand respond to the fruit of their own labor, this is DIGNITY and PRIDE, they should learn that what they work for is what they will recieve and if you as an ex-pat are on the giving end because you have recieved a service, you then have earned a right in this equation as well and your voice should be heard as well even if it does not get counted in the ballot box.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Bravo!

Narcosis said:
Rosemary:

...what Hippo/PRD are doing in this campaign; buying conscience through votes.

What the poor of the DR need, is to rid this type of practice which is used againts them.

They should on the other hand respond to the fruit of their own labor, this is DIGNITY and PRIDE, they should learn that what they work for is what they will recieve and if you as an ex-pat are on the giving end because you have recieved a service, you then have earned a right in this equation as well and your voice should be heard as well even if it does not get counted in the ballot box.

Bravo! Completely in agreement....until the lower Dominican classes, used for decades to be parasites by the succeeding governments, learn to not depend on the government for jobs, handouts, etc., and not rent or sell their consciences, lousy 'leaders' will continue to keep them right where they are by giving them a temporary prize in exchange for a long term deepening of their poverty as a result of inept management in government; never a better example than the present situation with the PRD/PPH crowd. The best chance to get away from this bad practice is to go with the PLD (Leonel Fernandez), who already demonstrated that they do not follow the populist policies of the other two major parties, the PRD and the PRSC. Hope the conscientious majority prevails!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Take it easy, dude

sangwong said:
----------------------------------
I thought this was an open forum, where free people are allowed to express their opinions..
You are half right, but it's a DR open forum, not a forum for you to vent your anger about the USA.
As for your personal attacks on others for their opinions and letting you know you are getting off track for this forum, it certainly demonstrates some mental or emotional instability of your own.
Perhaps it's time you relax a bit, or if you need to vent your anger, take it to an appropriate place.
We are here to exchange information and opinions about the DR, and help out those who wish to travel or live here.
This forum provides a great service to many and should not be abused.
Marco.

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
It was about time we had a retarded President in office, i mean how else was the rest of the country gonna understand what the president was saying...
example... a reporter told Hipolito Mejia "Bread has gotten too expensive" Hipolito's answer to that was "man does not live on bread alone, eat platano and yuca".
Now thats an answer. by the people and for the people.
I dont think Leonel understands what hes reading in his speech.