I just did a speed test...............

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Yep. . . .I HATE that upseros site. I can show verizon techs 10 websites that show my bandwith is 300k DOWN while I was paying for 1.5 meg. They only go to upseros and say. . . no you are fine. My vonage phone was not working well at all, skype calls were horrible and streaming video would buffer. . . .but they point to upseros and say I am fine.

I bet upseros is in the cyber park. . .connected with a fat pipe. . . lol. . .

I have had problems since march and still have not gotten tham resolved. I recently moved and my bandwith is better but still not what I have been paying for.

The speed problem just developed recently and is expected to be completely resolved soon.
There are no guarantees in life, but your wife should not expect to have any problems by the time she gets here.
This is the speed testing website that Verizon techs use.

upseros - Test de velocidad de la conexi?n a Internethttp://snottystory.blogspot.com/

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I'm surprised about the Skype calls being horrible at 300K broadband (although you didn't mention your upload speed). According to Skype you should still be able to have a conversation at 33Kbps dial-up !? (But they say anything to get you download their software....)

Skype Help

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yep. . . .I HATE that upseros site. I can show verizon techs 10 websites that show my bandwith is 300k DOWN while I was paying for 1.5 meg. They only go to upseros and say. . . no you are fine.
You hit the nail on the head.
Upseros won't even give you low readings, like other sites will.
It can sit there analyzing for 5 minutes, until a spark of bandwidth comes through, grab it and give you a report on that fraction of a second's worth of speed.
When the net slows right down to below dial up speed, upseros' page just won't open.
In my complaint to verizon of varying speed, I have been keeping records at random times of upseros (just to keep them happy) and Pecunia, which gives you really quick fairly accurate results.
SpeedTest

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'm surprised about the Skype calls being horrible at 300K broadband (although you didn't mention your upload speed). According to Skype you should still be able to have a conversation at 33Kbps dial-up !? (But they say anything to get you download their software....)

Skype Help
From what I can tell, Skype works like a charm with 100kbps and up, and doesn't even draw much signal when in use.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
PC World - PC World Downloads - Net.Medic

This small free program will give you your speed both up and down at all times. Just right click on the Kps box and choose ?float over desktop? .
That's a great little program, but does not constantly measure your potential bandwidth. It measures what you are consuming.
If you download heavy things, all at the same time, you will get to see what the max is, but other than that, there's no way of telling what your general speed is.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I have to report that I am a Verizon user (768 down, 128up).

Service was down yesterday (monday 25) morning around 10:30am for about an hour... I called 220-1111, and the guy told me there was an "averia" (problem) on the whole country...

I noticed that ultimately, since about 2 or 3 weeks, the download speed is weaker, and sunday afternoon, my download went down to 74 Kb/s...

Verizon internet flash used to be close to perfect for me, until the recent weeks... I don't know what's going on...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have to report that I am a Verizon user (768 down, 128up).

Service was down yesterday (monday 25) morning around 10:30am for about an hour... I called 220-1111, and the guy told me there was an "averia" (problem) on the whole country...

I noticed that ultimately, since about 2 or 3 weeks, the download speed is weaker, and sunday afternoon, my download went down to 74 Kb/s...

Verizon internet flash used to be close to perfect for me, until the recent weeks... I don't know what's going on...
We had that breakdown yesterday as well.
What area are you in, Squat?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Same here in Puerto Plata, I could not even respond to Rocky's post yesterday. (nice pictures by the way)

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Are you having any consistency problems, lately?
Like sometimes fast, sometimes slow?

Most of the times it is indeed irregular... Sometimes it drops without explanation... This is very new, as we use to have a very good adsl service. Keep in mind we have power almost all the time down here in LT...

There must be some works going on, or worst : lack of repair...

But if you guys up in Sosua have the same problems, it must be at least the whole north coast... I would be interested to read the feedback of Verizon Internet Flash users in Santiago & Sto Dgo...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Most of the times it is indeed irregular... Sometimes it drops without explanation... This is very new, as we use to have a very good adsl service. Keep in mind we have power almost all the time down here in LT...

There must be some works going on, or worst : lack of repair...

But if you guys up in Sosua have the same problems, it must be at least the whole north coast... I would be interested to read the feedback of Verizon Internet Flash users in Santiago & Sto Dgo...
I'm supposed to be getting a call today from a Santo Domingo Verizon techie to resolve the problem.
Of course, I'm not holding my breath, but I do intend on pressuring them until it's resolved.
In the meantime, I copy random speed tests into "Word" to have some proof, as the problem is intermittent.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
This is really bad news, I hope Verizon can sort it out soon. My plan of coming to North Coast for a couple of months in winter and work from there using the internet is fast becoming a pie in the sky !?

Keep us posted please.....

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
This is really bad news, I hope Verizon can sort it out soon. My plan of coming to North Coast for a couple of months in winter and work from there using the internet is fast becoming a pie in the sky !?

Keep us posted please.....
It's not bad news.
The net has always been quite reliable and even despite some of us having intermittent speed problems, it amounts to no more than an inconvenience.
Skype users haven't even been bothered.
Some heavy sites like gaming zones are slow or hard to get into, at the worst times, as well as downloading something big can be like watching grass grow, but I can tell you that my neighbours do NOT have the problem I have.
It seems to be particular to my line.
I'm hoping it's just a wiring problem, or maybe something at the central office.
You have nothing to worry about.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
I am skyping without any problem, and most of the time the quality is better than cell phone... Right now, things seem to be ok...

Rocky, I am curious to know what the Sto Dgo tech will tell you... Ask him about those "nationwide internet breakdown"...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I am skyping without any problem, and most of the time the quality is better than cell phone... Right now, things seem to be ok...

Rocky, I am curious to know what the Sto Dgo tech will tell you... Ask him about those "nationwide internet breakdown"...
If & when he shows, I'll ask.