I just did a speed test...............

C

Chip00

Verizon

Fellow Gringo

Check out Plan Avanzado 2 on the following link. As usual the people at Verizon didn't tell me about it, I had to find it for myself:

Verizon

It's smoking fast when except when they shut the system down on some Fri./Sat.'s.

It's not cheap, but then again is anything cheap other than platano down here?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I have the "Basico 2"
Verizon

and it works fine whenever the service is ok... However those days, service is not ok, and my speed is much reduced...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
All things considered

Verizon in the DR, does fairly well, given the circumstances.
When I first moved here, it truly took an average of 6 months to get a telephone line installed.
Long distance to the US cost 10 pesos per minute, plus tax, and the pesos was at 12.5 at that time, making it very close to $1 US per minute, tax included.
Calling Canada was 14 pesos tax included, or $1.12 US.
When I first got DSL 4 1/2 years ago, it cost an additional 1,500 pesos plus tax, when the exchange was approx 18 pesos to the US dollar.
That was the 256 kbps line.
Tax included, made it close to $100 US/month.
Now it would cost $53 US, tax included for a 768 kbps DSL line.
I know people in England who tell me that all they can get is dial up service, and they pay as much as we do for the DSL.

I know how infuriating breakdowns can be, and my patience has been taken to it's limits a few times, but all things considered, we are lucky to get what we get for the price we pay.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Plan #2 you say.............

I have the "Basico 2"
Verizon

and it works fine whenever the service is ok... However those days, service is not ok, and my speed is much reduced...

Thank you Squat, Yes I have plan Basico 2. they advertise down speed 768 kbps and up speed 128 kpbs.

I just did a MySpeed Bandwidth Test, Internet Speed Test, Broadband Speed Test test and came out with the following down speed 462 kbps. and up speed 64.5their comment quality of service 49%

Not bad tonight, fastest I have seen in a while!
However this is not what I'm paying for?
And I did not see any discount on my bill as a result..................

Larry (A.K.A. Gringo)

haifa

Feb 13, 2011
i used to test my speed through this site. ScanMySpeed
my speed is
downloads: 1.09Mbps
uploads: 0.8Mbps
i know my speed is worse. any ways to improve it.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
1386082774.png

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Does any other Orange Flybox NetHogar user out there share the same experience as I do here ? That is no more slow speed after using my 10GB monthly limit of download...
For me, it has been 3 months that I have up to 7 megs of download speed, completely unlimited...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Although our plan is 4mb/1mb, a free upgrade from 1.5mb/756k this is the BEST speeds we've ever gotten yet:

1410972291.png

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
I have to be honest with my DR1 fellow posters... I showed off some times ago with fantastic speed... But I am back to regular "slow speed", because I have already used my 10GB quota of monthly download...
1416085747.png

That said, it is not that bad, I can do mostly everything, and if I want to see some Youtube videos, I'll download them first (using the "Download Helper extension for Firefox DownloadHelper - Media download Firefox extension )