I just did a speed test...............

dany_west

Feb 23, 2009
What you really need to know when using a Cable based Internet is the speed at peak times. Do they have the newtork overloaded, so you get fast speed sometimes and other times slow speed?

You need to run a speed test at different times and days to see how good the service is. In Cable there are many users on the same bandwidth, where if you have a land-line service it is yours alone.

WOW man this is the worst explanation on i heard in my life, you really don't have any clue in what you are saying!!!
Cable/DSL/WiMax/Wifi - all connect to the same NODE, one edge router(bandwidth).
Cable basically is limited to 300-400Mb per subscriber (depends on technology) .
Dsl is very limited because the Distance from the NODE affect the maximum speed.
Anyway, you are totally wrong...Next time investigate before...

Because we are not in the US and people have here up to 10MB, the Cable network can't be overloaded.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
WOW man this is the worst explanation on i heard in my life, you really don't have any clue in what you are saying!!!
Cable/DSL/WiMax/Wifi - all connect to the same NODE, one edge router(bandwidth).
Cable basically is limited to 300-400Mb per subscriber (depends on technology) .
Dsl is very limited because the Distance from the NODE affect the maximum speed.
Anyway, you are totally wrong...Next time investigate before...

Because we are not in the US and people have here up to 10MB, the Cable network can't be overloaded.

BS. Tell this to the people that live here and have been through the aggravation with Cable and all forms of Internet. Stay where you are and be happy.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
we have 8Mb/s in the house and run it also as wireless over our Beach, runs very fine and very most Times the 8Mb/s or even more are available, but it has it's ups and downs here in the DR, that's why we have a 8MB connection, to make sure that we always have at least 6Mb/s available for the real use.
the Networks here in the DR are Always "overloaded", not reliable on the offered/sold Speeds,
you always need to take some Mb/s more than what You permanently need to guarantee your needed Speed.
and you need to complain to Claro permanently during the first Months and provide them with the printed Proof that their sold Speed been not available 24/7, it really lowers Your monthly Rates/gives extra Mb/s for the same Rate.

we wanted here originally a simple 2 Mb/s connection, been a cheap offer on monthly Rates, but it also been a Toatal over all "Cheapy", as it was a unreliable crap. we started to complain from the first week ahead, twice a week a visit to the Claro office and a thousand phonecalls to them. so they gave us a offer for an upgrade to 5Mb/s, deal done, but we still printed our speeds and proofed them that we do not get real 5MB/s, it took a total of 3 weeks and we finally got for our 5Mb/s Deal a 8Mb/s connection to guarantee that we really always have 5Mb/s.
since then we are not complaining anymore, specially that they gave us 2 full moths Free in addition, lol.

Mike

sujith34

Aug 6, 2011
My speed result is,
download=1.09Mbps and
my upload=0.87Mbps
and i check my speed from scanmyspeed and the reason why im using this speed checker is that i dont have flash to support speedtest.net so i went for this and without java and flash its working..

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Please don't waste your time doing speed tests from Non DR locations, they will just be deleted, as they have zero relevance.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Robert: Do you mean that those of us who live here should not do speed test run by off-shore sites ? Or our friends off-shore should not be able to tell us how really slow we are in comparison to what is available in hotels in Miami?

I realize that having double digit speeds is unnerving, humbling and infuriating for us, but it also gives us ammunition to complain to our providers.

Anyway, it does seem rather harsh, since this was just information used for comparative purposes (and to do some ragging, I suppose!)

Cordially,

HB, the peacemaker....

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Robert: Do you mean that those of us who live here should not do speed test run by off-shore sites ? Or our friends off-shore should not be able to tell us how really slow we are in comparison to what is available in hotels in Miami?

I realize that having double digit speeds is unnerving, humbling and infuriating for us, but it also gives us ammunition to complain to our providers.

Anyway, it does seem rather harsh, since this was just information used for comparative purposes (and to do some ragging, I suppose!)

Cordially,

HB, the peacemaker....

What use is a speed test done in Miami or Rome to those of us that live in the DR, it has zero relevance.
I think you have been here long enough to know that complaining to Codetel, Tricom, Orange etc about the speeds compared to other countries is a complete waste of time. Just like if you did the same in the USA, Europe, Asia etc.

Best to keep it 100% DR related, that way it stays relevant and useful to those that have connection issues here.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well, apparently there is some improvement, since I am at 3.12 Mb/s when before I was at .56 mb/s...so I guess somebody is getting the message. As I learn more about Internet, I realize that the numbers I get in Florida are not wrong, just out of my comprehension, since they are astronomic compared to here..

One thing I noticed was that when I ran tests, they seemed to be run from off-shore sites but with SDQ as the point of origin. Is that right? Do all of our broadband come from SDQ...??

Anyway, it is improving little by little, and I guess if you are willing to pay more than the minimum, you can get much faster speeds...which is good to know for gamers and such.

HB

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I also have been experiencing horrible times with Verizon for many months but over the last week but at present it is Pathetic ,,,horrible

SatinPeach

Feb 18, 2008
WOW I don't get those speeds at home where we now live. I just hope I can get a 3. anything when we are down. Any idea what delancers speeds are like? Would like to know prior to coming. We will be on a big hill in Sosua. Hope to hear from someone. Thanks. Arriving Nov. 15 till May 11th 2012. this is responding to one that posted 10. something. Don't know who to go with when we arrive. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have heard of having your own set up about $150 period and its yours. gives you a router and your own "catch the signals that are free?" Anyone heard of that. Have been using de lancer for the past 3 yrs not fast at all.. Heard they may have improved? Don't know for sure tho. As I said any input would bw appreciated.

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
With an Orange Dongle

I got this today as a backup for DSL. It seems pretty good. What I like is there is no contract, and you pay only when you want to use it. I would not use it as my primary internet, as it costs 130rd per day, and I get better speed with DSL for less money. But if Claro has problems all I have to do is put 130pesos on a number they gave me, plug it in and I have Internet.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/0.png It is not copying. But the speed was 142 down and 67up.

Last edited:

sujith34

Aug 6, 2011
In the office here in Santo Domingo

1468998485.png

Hi,my speed test results
my download speed =1.09Kbps and upload speed =0.87kbps
and i check my speed from ip-details.com