I just received my cellphone bill......

Status
Not open for further replies.

bendundat

Sep 16, 2008
my calls to the DR are killing me! Somebody give the name of the best calling cards for the US to the DR. Thanx.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) If it is not immediate family, drop the "person"..
2) If it is immediate family get them to get one of the calling plans that call for free to the US. they give you a number and an extension and bingo! the call is there...
3) Skype
4) MagicJack.com

I do hope you are not calling the "Love of your life"...since the odds are 99999 to one that you are not the only one calling....

HB

Crystal

Nov 7, 2005
Believe it or not Sears has a pretty good phone card for $9.99 and you can usually get 50-60 minutes of talk time. Otherwise, you can check any of the Spanish stores in your area for calling cards to the DR or Carribean.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Hey

my calls to the DR are killing me! Somebody give the name of the best calling cards for the US to the DR. Thanx.

where are you calling from? what location?
I agree with Crystal, check out local grocery stores and see what calling cards they carry. you can get some pretty good rates from there.
I call DR [land line] using a $2US calling card and speak for 72 minutes, thats a deal! :cheeky:

bendundat

Sep 16, 2008
I am calling from Maryland. I willl be callling a cellphone in the DR.
I know about the spanish stores but their selection is so vast I would'nt know where to start. I was hoping that somebody with some experience to steer me in the right direction so that I could save some time and money. I hear that a lot of those cards are rip-offs.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Do research

I am calling from Maryland. I willl be callling a cellphone in the DR.
I know about the spanish stores but their selection is so vast I would'nt know where to start. I was hoping that somebody with some experience to steer me in the right direction so that I could save some time and money. I hear that a lot of those cards are rip-offs.

this is why you have to go out and look at these spanish groceries and find a card that works for you. I dont know if they are available in Maryland but see if you can find any cards by STi. They are great and have awesome rates. i use one here in NY called New York Central and for $2 i can talk 72 minutes to a land line, no joke.
go out and see what they offer and report back to us, maybe i can tell you from experience which cards are good to use and what to stay away from :cheeky:

Crystal

Nov 7, 2005
Look specifically for the cards that say DR, PR, or the Carribean. Buy one and try it. If you don't like it try another. It will be more expensive calling a cell phone. You get better timing calling from land line to land line. When calling from cell phone to cell phone you get the worst time for your money, so keep that in mind. You will pay more per minute calling from cell phone to cell phone. Also, you can check to see if your cell phone company has an international plan. Otherwise, as HB says, try Skype or Magic jack.
C

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You will pay more per minute calling from cell phone to cell phone.

When you dial the 1-800 access number, the card does not know what kind of a phone you are using!

It is indeed more to call a Dominican cell, than a land line....but it does not matter whether you use a pay phone, land line, or cell to dial!

You might eat up your monthly local minutes, but that does not affect the "dialed rate" of the card.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Your best bet is to do what was already mentioned, go to the Spanish Stores. They usually have the minutes posted for each country, if not ask the attendent which is a popular card to call to the DR.

Also, a good rate for a $5 card is over 100 min. Unfortunately, the cellphone rates are much more expensive and you will be lucky to get 40 min for a $5 card. All the big name brand of calling cards are a rip off and it would probably be cheaper to call from your house.

It make make since for the person who you are calling to call you from an internet center as the rates are failry cheap down here.

DRICK1274

Aug 13, 2008
You can also go online and look up rebtel,they give you a local number for the person,you won't have to keep going to buy cards.the cost for cell phones is 4.9 cents per minute for cell phones it's less for landlines.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
My carrier here (AT&T wireless) gives me $0.18/min to landline numbers in the DR and $0.27/min to DR mobile phone numbers. No cards, connection fees, or other foolishness.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Verizon has an International Long Distance plan on land lines, for an additional $9.99/month gives you 300 minutes = .03/minute....not bad!
(14.99 without a LD plan)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
if she has internet at home and a pc (doubt very much) then get her magicjack. It works like charm when used without pc (programmed on a voip device-like vonage).
Tell her to go to webpage Bueno and dial usa for free (pligin has to be installed first).
AZB

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
if she has internet at home and a pc (doubt very much) then get her magicjack.

She already pawned the PC, her Gringo novio bought her, to buy her chulo bling for his birthday!

terrible tambo'

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
I was just on my Cricket phone for 2 hrs, practicing my spanish over the phone, from Philly to La Union, DR.................Right now they say theres a glitch in the system, no international charges at this time.........unlimited............I'm on some sort of travel plan with that company.......

I'm still with at&t, with my main phone and cricket as my sidekick for 48 us a month and 36 for the first month free................you pay 36 us, for the phone............and you can call other islands, I don't know what's going on, along with the representative..............it's a pay as you go plan, and you are suppose to set up another account for international to draw from............

So find out if your area is with-in Philly's area and get a phone from here and use it where you live.................

I'm enjoying it while it lasts, along with a bunch of other Dominicans here and NY, as I was told............

But what do I know, I'm an old man........................:bunny:

I just wanted to be the first to post it, because a lot of times I have to get my spanish and engish dictionary out to keep up with you guys and girls............:bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
You can also go online and look up rebtel,they give you a local number for the person,you won't have to keep going to buy cards.the cost for cell phones is 4.9 cents per minute for cell phones it's less for landlines.

I've been using this for a few years, especially before moving to the DR. You dial a local access number from your mobile or home phone, it then dials through the internet to the number in whichever country you are. I cannot praise this service enough for what its done for my phone bills over time. Especially as I used to have free local calls, on my UK mobile and hence only paid the Rebtel charge to call the DR.

I had an email from them about a month ago, and they now have a DR access number so you can call from here too.

You can also give a local number to friends overseas, for them to call YOU, and you pick up the tab though. My family have local numbers in the UK for my mobile and they get free local calls to call me here. I pick up about ?0.05 per minute on the call.

Have a look, no need to sit at the computer, or punch in 20 numbers after calling an access number.

Ok, I've raved enough.

Steve

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The problem is, most of you guys have poor girlfriends who can only afford a cell phone with a calling card account. cell phone calls cost way more then a regular landline phone calls in DR. So please find girls who have a real phone at home or if they have real jobs with a real phone installed. I can't believe how the gringos pay so much money to call DR.
is it too much to ask in a woman to have a land line installed at home (forget about DSL and laptop), just a simple landline which she can afford to pay? is that too much to ask in finding a woman? Why is it that most guys have girls who only have cell lines and no signal.
AZB

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
My 2 cents. Anyone tried Stanacard? Standard rates to DR without promo-code - 3.5 cents/min to landlines, 5 cents/min to DR cell phones. All rates cand be found here. Local access numbers in USA, Canada, Russia, UK, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, HK, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and even from Russia (good for my friends and relatives!). Same rates from all those countries. No surcharges, no any other fees, no expiration date. Excellent quality. Have been using it for about 3 years now.

2 tricks if you decide to try it.

1. Use my promocode 122354 or this link to sign up and you get double balance on your first charge. Pay US$ 10 and receive US$ 10 on top. In this case your real rate to DR will be only a half of the standard rates.

2. Do not register more than one phone for each account. Here is the reason - you can not use promocode again with the new account or your previously registered phone number (or with same credit card). Instead, when the balance runs low, register another account (use different e-mail address and different credit card), register another phone number you will be calling from. But before you create your second account, go to the old account and click on "refer a friend", write down your own promo code and use it with the new account (and give out to your friends so that you all can benefit from it). Once you top up your new account, say for US$ 10, your new account will get double balance and old account will get $ 10 for the referral. Easy!

Status
Not open for further replies.