I LOVE Mero!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Very good info CB. I had always wondered how much of solid ice I was paying for.
AZB

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Ive never heard Red Snapper referred to as Colorado. Chillo is the word for Red Snapper in Spanish and is the only one Ive heard. Yellowtail snapper would be Jurel, but Ive never seen yellowtail in the DR...maybe in a high-end sushi place?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ive never heard Red Snapper referred to as Colorado. Chillo is the word for Red Snapper in Spanish and is the only one Ive heard. Yellowtail snapper would be Jurel, but Ive never seen yellowtail in the DR...maybe in a high-end sushi place?

Hi David, I just double-checked with my husband in case I was wrong [wouldn't be the first time!!]. First thing he asked is where you are in DR? He's never heard the word Jurel. I asked him about the yellowtail and he says "they're all over". I asked if he meant he saw them when he was diving or saw them 'on land' and he said "both". A man of few words, hah.

AE

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
LOL...succint and to the point! As i understand it, chillo is the word for snapper in general, and at least on the north coast, all if not most of the snapper is red snapper. Ive never heard jurel used either...sounds more Supermanish than Spanish anyway :bunny: i would love to try fresh yellowtail...its my favorite fish for sushi...so im sure it would be great grilled or frito entero....

I try to stay away from coturra or papagayo (parrot fish)...ive never had a problem with it but Ive heard it is more likely to make you sick than other types of local fish...and it tends to have more small bones than mero or chillo.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I try to stay away from coturra or papagayo (parrot fish)...ive never had a problem with it but Ive heard it is more likely to make you sick than other types of local fish...and it tends to have more small bones than mero or chillo.

My husband agrees with you. He said no one ever ate them in the old days. When he would be diving or snorkeling he'd never spear a parrot fish unless it was big [at least 2' long]. They mostly feed off the coral reefs, and actually ingest coral along with the algae they eat. These days the waters on the south coast near the capital are so fished out of some of the better fish [like mero] that they do catch the parrot fish, and a lot of the frituras sell them.

AE