I made a short video about why I'm moving from USA to DR

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Specifically to Sosua. Hope you all like it. I wonder if other Americans have the same concerns about the US that I do -
A.P. ---- been to the DR 34 times. A few words of advice. Regardless of what you think, no one does anything for free. At some point there is always a pay back expected. Like the mob doing you a little favor... at some point they come around. Be wise to that. Also, please know that no matter where you go in the DR, no matter what you look like, you are a gringo. That means you are now seen as a millionaire. Even with two dimes in your pocket, it doesn't matter - you are still a millionaire to them. You can plead poverty, it won't work. You are a gringo from the U.S. and rich. Be careful exchanging money. Record serial numbers of bills to be exchanged, so you don't get a substitute bill back and told fake, while they keep your original bill and profit 100%. Be street smart. $1200 a month make seem like a lot when exchanged. At first it seems you are rich will all their bills, then notice three days later, you've blown through all their Dominican money. Five hundred pesos is worth only $8.50. Not much my friend. Good luck. Learn Spanish so you will know what they are saying about you behind your back.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Everyone has their own opinion and mine is that Sosua has a better beach, can definitely be quiet, especially these days LOL, Has 2 excellent supermarkets and some wonderful restaurants. Better or at least more options that Cabarete. I have always found Cabarete boring or felt limited in options and it's definitely no better with Covid ;) but YMMV
Yes, to many, Sosua is a cultural paradise with international opportunities that rival London, Paris and Tokyo. To others its a weekend gentleman's escape to cut loose with the ladies before heading back to reality.

Michael DR

Jun 7, 2020
Earth
Yes, to many, Sosua is a cultural paradise with international opportunities that rival London, Paris and Tokyo. To others its a weekend gentleman's escape to cut loose with the ladies before heading back to reality.
Sosua, like Life is what you make of it.

I rarely bother except to occasionally meet up with buddies that still go there and to spent time with friends that live in the area. It's very convenient, normally, for foreign travellers with POP so close. If not for the beach and friends I would not bother. There are far more overall interesting and satisfying places to live and visit IMO.

CristoRey

Welcome to Wonderland!
Apr 1, 2014
A.P. ---- been to the DR 34 times. A few words of advice. Regardless of what you think, no one does anything for free. At some point there is always a pay back expected. Like the mob doing you a little favor... at some point they come around. Be wise to that. Also, please know that no matter where you go in the DR, no matter what you look like, you are a gringo. That means you are now seen as a millionaire. Even with two dimes in your pocket, it doesn't matter - you are still a millionaire to them. You can plead poverty, it won't work. You are a gringo from the U.S. and rich. Be careful exchanging money. Record serial numbers of bills to be exchanged, so you don't get a substitute bill back and told fake, while they keep your original bill and profit 100%. Be street smart. $1200 a month make seem like a lot when exchanged. At first it seems you are rich will all their bills, then notice three days later, you've blown through all their Dominican money. Five hundred pesos is worth only $8.50. Not much my friend. Good luck. Learn Spanish so you will know what they are saying about you behind your back.
Lived down here almost 9 years straight.
3 months off the island since 2012. Lived all over the country. In general the perception is we (Americans) are rich gringos however the Dominicans who actually get to know you will respect you with or without the money. Its just like the states. Street smarts is a must in any developing country thats run by a mafia style government.
$1,200 a month in Sosua shouldn't be a problem for a single guy who doesn't spend his life on a barstool looking for prostitutes.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Record serial numbers of bills to be exchanged, so you don't get a substitute bill back and told fake, while they keep your original bill and profit 100%.
This seems a bit extreme. I have lived here for ten years and, so far, nothing like this has happened to me. I have never even thought of recording serial numbers, let alone done it.

Now that I have said this, maybe it will happen to me tomorrow!