I made a short video about why I'm moving from USA to DR

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Agreed. But closed for a while. Really sad. Hopefully they are able to reopen.

On the opposite side of the street there is a small bar where you can have refreshments and do the same people watching. But there is almost nothing to see at the moment.

Best bet is coming over on a weekend, a lot of Dominicans usually spend their day on the beach. Often bring drinks & food with them.

Ojo Club next to Mojito has excellent food and authentic Italian pizza.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Been dividing my time between an apt in Cabarete and my house in Maimon. Have to say we find Cabarete a little boring. And yes, the sea is more intense here compared to other areas, but I don't see a big problem with swimming. Sosua is definitely more fun but, as we always say about NYC, it's a fun place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there (at least not in town). Spent a lovely afternoon yesterday on Playa Sosua getting ripped with my significant other.

Have you tried swimming in Maimon Bay?

Last edited:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Many times, because it's so close. The water is very calm there, as you know.. I also enjoy Playa Guzmancito for its authenticity. I love the craziness of the Dominicans.
I suspected as much. Being alone on a quiet beach can get boring pretty quick. Pretty much good for FB pictures.
That's why we used to go to Sosua beach and occasionally Cabarete.

Reactions: David B

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This is my favorite beach on the North Coast for sure. Playa Caleton, about 50 minutes east of Cabarate. Ask for Tony to set up a table on the beach in the shade for fresh fish and lobster.
Been passed there dozens of times back and forth between Nagua y Sosua. Had no idea about this spot. Thanks for sharing.

• Angry
Reactions: CDNBear

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
No doubt that as a windsurfer you don't find Cabarete too windy LOL but for the rest of us, anywhere that has to erect plexiglass barriers to protect customers from the wind and blowing sand has a wind issue. At least that's my supported opinion. Enjoy the breeze, Bear :D
Where on Cabarete beach do they have plexiglass to protect from blowing sand? I go there almost every day and can't think of anywhere. I go late afternoon because that's when the breeze is stronger and the temperature is just right for me. It's very rare that blowing sand is a problem though.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Ojo Club next to Mojito has excellent food and authentic Italian pizza.
Usually go another place for pizza, but since it is a long time I have eaten anything but an excellent breakfast there, I have no opinion atm.

Their night club, best dominican experience on the beach. Oh those days. This is of course after THE best place closed long time ago, Bamboo. Oh, I am old

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Usually go another place for pizza, but since it is a long time I have eaten anything but an excellent breakfast there, I have no opinion atm.

Their night club, best dominican experience on the beach. Oh those days. This is of course after THE best place closed long time ago, Bamboo. Oh, I am old

I was wondering how it was before, since it's such a beautiful spot. Unfortunately, I missed it. Any experience I have of the North Coast pre-Covid in terms of nightlife is confined to Puerto Plata. I'm sorry I missed the heyday of Sosua, for example.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
I was wondering how it was before, since it's such a beautiful spot. Unfortunately, I missed it. Any experience I have of the North Coast pre-Covid in terms of nightlife is confined to Puerto Plata. I'm sorry I missed the heyday of Sosua, for example.
La cola para hacer pipí era un infierno, al menos lo recuerdo.y era horario de apertura 24/7 al menos si hubiera gente presente

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Where on Cabarete beach do they have plexiglass to protect from blowing sand? I go there almost every day and can't think of anywhere. I go late afternoon because that's when the breeze is stronger and the temperature is just right for me. It's very rare that blowing sand is a problem though.
Good question. I have seen plexiglass I think at Tuva, but I doubt it is for protection against sandblasting.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Would you say that most visitors to the beach "can swim" adequately? Do you think that if they got caught in a strong current that they wouldn't panic?

You may find Sosua boring but many (tens of) thousands visit every year. You may be a strong enough, experienced and powerful enough swimmer who knows the water there and to not panic but can you say the same for the people just visiting there?

How many or better asked what percentage of Dominicans are confident and trained swimmers? What about the percentage of them that are scared of the water or are not competent swimmers?

My answer to all of this is no, most people are not trained or competent swimmers. Many just want to stand in the waves and cool off. Most, even trained and experienced swimmers panic when caught by surprise in a strong current and many die. Many of the Dominicans I've come to know don't swim well and are fearful including my better half, and she spends a lot of time in the pool, too.

No doubt that as a windsurfer you don't find Cabarete too windy LOL but for the rest of us, anywhere that has to erect plexiglass barriers to protect customers from the wind and blowing sand has a wind issue. At least that's my supported opinion. Enjoy the breeze, Bear :D

You must have visited on the good days then, unfortunately they are very few.

• Haha
Reactions: Michael DR

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
Allow me to modify "plexiglass" to wind barriers in general. It's been a while and I don't want to exaggerate and memory is a funny thing.

Bear mentioned Tuva which has tall glass "wall" on their patio, I recall specifically a bar/restaurant at one of the Kite Beach hotels that had plexiglas, Mojitos IIRC has roll down bamboo shades, at one point a couple or so years ago other Los Gringos or Lazy Dog had a (plastic?) windbreak and Lazy dog and I think the adjoining business had curtains. I can't swear to it but I've also sat near a wood or bamboo windscreen on that beach. It's windy as hell some afternoons and that's mostly why I rarely venture there. It seems to me it's been a couple, maybe even 3 years since I was there last and I don't miss it a bit lol

• Wow

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
Good question. I have seen plexiglass I think at Tuva, but I doubt it is for protection against sandblasting.
What do you think it was for then? Not that it matters. If you really want to tell us that Cabarete, a world renown Kit Surfing beach is not windy...go for it LOL!