I need all the adivce and help I can get from you good people.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Veljko said:
:)
I came across couple of posts discussing airline tickets. Some say you must have return ticket some say you don;t need it? What is the situation regarding this? Do I need to have fixed return date and how long it should be from the time of arrival (since someone told me that uppon entry I get a visa for 15 days then It's logical that the return is in 15 days too)?
If I have a return ticket could I change it down there to a later date?

Thanks
As far as the airline ticket is involved, you have the following choices:
  1. Come on a ticket with an open return date- very expensive.
  2. Come on a charter and just trash the return flight.-probably the cheapest.
  3. Come on a discount ticket with a return date.-Make sure you can pay a change fee to change the return date. Usually you can defer the return for up to 1 year. The change fees are usually about $50-$75.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I usually travel with MartinAir if charter is not available when I visit back home. So does my family when they come to visit me.
Once they also came by charter from UK, as it was the cheapest at that time.

Veljko

Aug 31, 2005
How do I

And how do I go about searching for charter flights? From Belgrade only Air France has a conection over Paris but nothing else.Bu I guess I could go to another city in Europe and then fly from there... but how do I look for charter flights?

Veljko

Aug 31, 2005
scuba

Any of you know if I can obtain scuba diving licence while IN DR, I mean are there any courses and what is the price?

Thanks

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
You can take an Open Water course at any dive center.

Not sure what the cost is now but a search of dive centers in the DR should give you some prices. I would think it's in the $300-400US$ range now.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
MommC said:
Not sure what the cost is now but a search of dive centers in the DR should give you some prices. I would think it's in the $300-400US$ range now.

I would guess its higher to take a certificate.
You can contact www.seaprodivers.com and ask about prices. They serve only guests at certain hotels, but they would know the prices.

Veljko

Aug 31, 2005
Since I got the advice to move to Santo Domingo first (beacuse it's easier to find a job, apartment etc.) I started looking for info. I can;t find any good photos, I can find photos of the palm tree, and bannanas but not the city itself, you now, to get the feel what it looks like... Do you know where I can find good photos of Santo Domingo (streets, people...)

Also, since for this first time I'm planning this move as a long adventure, I definetely don;t wanna miss on beaches, palm tree shades and swimming... are there beaches arround Santo Domingo that are easy to get to without car, are they nice? And which part of the country has the best beaches?

And since someone sugested Puerto Plata can you tell me what is the difference between Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata?

Thank toy all for all the great answers and instructions so far.
This adventure plan is becoming more and more real and possible for me which makes me happy, but as someone said I wanna get all the information I possibly can get!

evolver

Sep 2, 2005
Thanks forward ?

Hello good people.

First of all, Veljko did a fine job for me. Thanx (hvala) Veljko :). Strange thing, I haven't red all posts but I saw few with design, WEB design. Ok. Same thing here. I would like to add 3D. I am also in job hunt. I don't expect to find that kind of a job in the begining, but latter..... who knows. The plan is just to come in and do what must. Then, find a place to live (room will be ok)and to find a job.
How hard it is :nervous: ?
I've heard that there is one small serbian reasturant in Santo Domingo. Anyone knows?
It would be great to open a bank account there, if it is possible (as a foreigner :cross-eye ).

Spanish? Anyone willing to learn spanish can simply open http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr
Freeky stuff, and works fine for beginners.

Last edited:

evolver

Sep 2, 2005
Dragonfly32837 said:
Since you know each other, maybe you guys should start out as roommates when you first get there.

Thanx man. I mean, that is not a problem. Both of us will not come alone. My concern (I guess, his too) is to find apartment and job in some short period. Otherwise, everything will be for nothing. Trust me, price for a DR ticket is already too high expense in Serbia and it would be terrible to return ....too quikly.

Veljko

Aug 31, 2005
Transporting computer

I was wondering if any of you knows what is the situation regarding the transportation of a computer. It would be a used pc including a used monitor.
Can I just check it in as a luggage or there is a special procedure (regarding air company and local customs). Are there any taxes in DR that I would have to pay since it is not new.

I would definetely need a computer over there so I can work but wouldn;t like to spend money to buy a new one over there. I want to transport the one I have.

Thanks

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
evolver said:
Thanx man. I mean, that is not a problem. Both of us will not come alone. My concern (I guess, his too) is to find apartment and job in some short period. Otherwise, everything will be for nothing. Trust me, price for a DR ticket is already too high expense in Serbia and it would be terrible to return ....too quikly.

As many have said in simular threads, and also in this one.
Alot depends on you. Do not expect it to be easy to find a job that gives you a salary you are able to live in.
Many, many people make it here, and more people fail. It is not fun to hear, but it is the truth.
If you want to live the adventure of going to a country you do not know much about, to a city where you do not know your way around, among people in a culture that you don?t know... it is for sure an adventure and an experience you will have for life. But it is not easy, and most of all it is 100 % up to you to make it or not make it.
Do not expect to get a job and an apartment at the same time.
For an apartment you need to pay 1 month rent in advance and also 1 month deposit of the same amount as the rent.
Works in bars, restaurants etc usually also require 1-2 weeks unpaid training.
Even if you get a job day one, it would take you 6 weeks before you would get your first paycheck. And in reality you won?t get a job day one, so calculate a few more weeks as a minimum.

You need to look at this plans of yours with eyes open, plan and see if it is possible, and then go ahead. ;)

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
If you can get to Germany first, charter flights like Thomascook/Condor/TUI from Frankfurt/Berlin cost anywhere between 250 and 400 Euro per person incl return ticket. If timing doesn't matter, they sometimes (rarely) even have the one way for 99 Euros.

Veljko

Aug 31, 2005
That sound great

PlantaFULL,

That sounds great, compared to Air Frances 1000+ euro from Belgrade.

I have just checked those three you sugested and Thomascook, from Frankfurt gives me the 800 euro price, TUI doesn;t offer online reservations or I couldn;t find it and CONDOR gives me the price from Frankfurt to Puerto Plata of 299 $ away and 323 $ return flight wich is all together arround 500 Euro and thats' a lot cheaper than those Air France's 1000 + Euro.

Why does Thomas Cook give me those high prices. Am I doong something wrong?
Does Condor have flights year round or in peak season or something like that?

I will be going to Frankfurt anyway in a couple of days. So does Condor and other two have offices in Frankfurt (I looked on the site but couldn;t find list of offices) so I can check personaly since I already have a chance?

Thanks a lot for this great info.

P.S. Anyone knows anythin g regarding my question two posts bellow. regarding customs?

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Computers can be transported no problem and they can enter the DR tax-free. Thats the only electronic items that can enter taxfree btw, no matter if used or new.

Thomas Cook and Condor are the same thing, they had a merger or takeover a while ago. On www.condor.de I selected FRA to POP, 20 Sep come = 249 Euro, 27 Sep back = also 249 Euro... Probably cheaper then 1 way and you can always toss the back ticket which I would prefer to have anyways in case you arrive here and decide the country is not for you within a few days.

On thomascook.de I got somwhat higher prices like 299 to come, 369 back. Despite the different names and websites I'm sure it will be the same plane. thomascook.de also offered the "one way" option on their website. I'm not sure they sell it to you unless you have proof of residency tho (stupid airline politics).

I'm not sure these Charters have offices of their own other then within Frankfurt Airport, I know however that there are general travel offices who (re)sell those flights in Frankfurt city as well. There is one for sure in the "Zeilgallerie" which a shopping mall on the "Hauptwache" next to the "Kaufhof".

If you have the money, I'd even book an all included hotel for the first few nights from germany. I know many here will say "all included" isn't DR real-life which is more then true, but this way you have a little piece of mind when exiting the plane after your long journey and don't run the risk of getting ripped off right at the airport. Price-wise, if you book an all included hotel from one of the above websites you can get them as low as 40 Euros per night per person, which is a lot better then what you would get here. Same hotel you arrive without reservation on the desk they're gonna want in the 100+ Dollar range per person. Even tho I live on this Island I book every little "weekend trip" I do over german websites, comes out a lot cheaper. Sad but true.

Veljko

Aug 31, 2005
Planes, trains, computers...

PlantaFULL thanks again,

Is there any other accomodation in DR (Puerto Plata or Santo Domingo) other than all inclusive hotels? Anything cheaper. I honestly have those hotels and would like to skip them. I would definetely need some accomodation once I arrive because I would search for an apartment uppon my arrival (hope it wouldn't take long). But is there anything cheaper and "more DR" than those all inclusive resorts? What are my options regarding these first couple of days?

Also, do you know if I can purchase just the ticket Frankfurt to DR (Condor) without booking the whole package with the hotel. I got some info that even in Frankfurt I can't buy just the ticket, I have to have the hotel booked? Is this tru or false. I would come to FR by train and then get on flight to DR. But on the web site (booking pages) it seems that I can buy just the ticket and pay by CC and then they send it to my address.

As for computer, that's good news, so I can just put it in another bag and check it in as laguage. I guess moniotor (flat off course) is also treated as "a computer" ?

Thanks a lot.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
You can just book flights on those websites. On condor.de for example its right in the horizontal top menu, "Flugsuche" (default) is just flight, "Hotelsuche" is jost hotel etc... Yes they do want to send stuff to your address and I'm not sure a german address is required to book online. What I know however is that the confirmation email you receive after booking is enough to pickup the ticket/boarding pass on the airport.

Flatscreen is computer hardware. The friendly officers might wanna convince you its a mini DVD player you have there in order to rip you off, just insist it is not, worst case you have to do the infamous DR-bribe.

I don't live on the north coast myself but I'm think there are cheaper accomodations there. Here in Santo Domingo there aren't any I know of, even the "lowest" Apart Hotels are charging 1300 pesos (40 Euro) and then you still need food.

If you manage to make contacts to the good folks who live up there and get things setup prior to arrival with someone telling you precisely where to go etc it will be fine. If you arrive without anything setup, noone to pick you up etc, I would rather have the first night booked in a resort simply because after a long trip to frankfurt + 9 hour flight etc I wouldn't be in much condition to run all over in search for the best deal without some rest first. Finding the good deals and paying the prices that locals pay is not that simple here even if you speak spanish...

Veljko

Aug 31, 2005
Studying in DR

Well, after getting some very informative posts and answers here, I have definetely decieded to "try out" DR, I will definetely come for 6 or so months first and see how it goes. As I already said whatever happenes it will be an adventure and another experience, but I would like for things to go well and would love to stay there for a longer time.

Well I'm a graphic / web designer, but my lifelong wish is marine biology.
I wanted to know how's the situation with universities in DR, are they ok, is there marine biology programme or something like that? What are the conditions for foreigners, costs etc.

I am not looking for harvard or some such, it would be more for my pleasure, but if some larger opportunities come out of it, then great, why not.

Well I hopeyou can give me some info.

Thanks again