I need expert electrical advise... need it fast.Why?

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I am in the process of trying to buy a house. Actually a "weekend house" in a reverse commute situation. (this is unimportant ). I have found something that would work for me BUT... I need to offer a price next week and here is my problem.The electrical system would need to be upgraded big time. This is a two level house of about 2500 SQF. Block construction and finished to the extent that I can't go opening holes of any size in the floor on either level. The "panel box" is located in the kitchen with (4) 20 amp breakers). Upstairs there a 3 bedrooms and two baths and a sitting are that would be used for quiet time readings and small TV. This area would need one sheet rock wall to accommodate the tv and some audio devises. First floor needs upgraded electrical for the usual kitchen, bath dining room etc.

I have called in an electrician for a meeting on Friday so that we can estimate what this job would cost. I am not at all familiar with getting this work done on a finished house constructed of block. (I asume that block is filled with concrete).My entire life/career was one of sheet rock walls, crawl spaces and access via the attic. Does this mean all these new lines will be housed using raceways? And/or other types of enclosure to "hide" the wiring around the house?
1. Hiding the wire and cables.
2. How do I get, if needed, a new service line from the street?
3. In general is there any kind of code that is followed?
4.Inspection by power company or gov agency?
5. What size service box would be common here on a new construction.
6. How do I plan for future cooling issues and solar power?Should I be thinking about that now in regards to the number of breakers (blanks) I should be getting ?

I don't own this house yet but I see the above needing to be done in order to move in. As such I want to examine the estimated cost as part of my offer.
Many thanks in advance for advise you may give me.
These questions lead me to believe you are in over your head. You may want focus on an area where you have some experience like gardening. The electrician can tell you anything and how would you know? You're coming to this pot luck savvy group for help? Don't you have resources here on the ground? Maybe you should think about a retirement community in FLA - they take care of all this for you. And you'll have more time for shuffleboard!

• Sad
Reactions: AlterEgo

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I knew you would come up with a practical idea. CB what's your thoughts on having one service box down stairs and another new and separte one on second floor. Might that cut down on the cutting, chipping and patching? Can the service line be divided coming into the house be split (like a two family house, A and B?)
Service box?
You mean a 2nd sub panel?
Abosolutley but unless you plan on creating seperate apartment you don't need another service box.

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Service box?
You mean a 2nd sub panel?
Abosolutley but unless you plan on creating seperate apartment you don't need another service box.
He's probably thinking about avoiding having to run downstairs if a breaker pops.

gregvolt

May 15, 2022
new york
As an electrician by trade for 30 years. block or cement walls are a nightmare when it comes to adding additional outlets. hopefully there is sufficient outlets and lighting for the majority of the rooms that you can just leave those as is. These days most tvs and lights are led or flourescent so current draw is minimal compared to what draw used to be just 10 or 15 years ago. Honestly, one circuit should be more than enough for a standard home with LED tv's and a light in the center of each room. As for the kitchens and bathrooms, hopefully the outlets have conduit back to the panel and you can just add a bit of additional wiring to separate any circuiting that might have been combined with other household outlets. From the couple of times that i looked at electrical stuff in the DR, I did see conduit, if the home was built that way recircuiting isn't difficult, just as a rule of thumb a 20 amp circuit breaker can comfortably supply 1800 watts of power. so a if you have 8 watt LED bulbs, you can put over 200 of them in those 3 bedrooms0 (im kidding, of course you wouldn't have 200 lights but technically you could). Im sure these few circuits would be fine for the majority of the house, I would just concern myself more with getting appliance circuits separated from them and maybe separating the outlets in the bathrooms where you may use a hair dryer.

gregvolt

May 15, 2022
new york
Just got to the 2nd page of this thread and saw the 8 circuit panel. techincally that could be enough. 2-30 amp breakers which i am assuming is for your central air or hot water heater. leaving you 6 breakers . 1 for upstairs rooms 1 for down stairs rooms, maybe 2 for kitchen appliances and possibly 2 for bathrooms. It could be just fine as is. if you did ever need to add extra circuits you could just use GE piggyback breakers.

Reactions: windeguy

zeferus

Feb 22, 2022
Canada
Also note that there are thinner double breakers. In my case I used these of entry AC. Part number for dual 30 amps is

THQP230​