I need personal OPINIONS, without personal ATTACKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Shalena,

I live in North Carolina (Winston-Salem area) and love it. However we do have winter here and last winter was unusually bad.

Raleigh NC, January 2009
Fotosderocio261.jpg

what about this you don't call that a winter?

JJ

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I don't need to insult you in anyway but I do have come questions. Please don't be offended.
First of all, I would like to know if you are coming here for the sake of your kids or for the sake of your own-self?
I see you have 4 kids but I also remember you had kids with a man who was (or still is) in jail back in usa (all was posted on dr1). So seems like there was no father-figure around to take care of the kids before and now it seems you have another kid with r tigre from san jose de las matas who can't even support himself without relying on your financial help.
I hope you are not coming back to be with him and making another baby in the near future. Seems like you have made all the wrong decisions in the past and now it seems evident that you have made another one with another man. If I remember correctly, you had a good job and were living well in santiago, now it seems totally opposite. You seem to have sold everything at pulga prices to rush back home to have a baby of a man who was not with you through-out the child-birth process. Seems like all he wants to do is to go to usa. So after having 3 kids from another man (or men) you had decided to have another one. Wow, you must be a super-woman to take on responsibilities like this without even winking. Now you are thinking of passing on a good job to come back to live in santiago and be with the man who can't contribute much towards keeping a family together. Nice dilemma we are talking about. You mean to tell me you will pass on a good paying job and put your kids to dominican schools in exchange for american grade schools? Boy o boy. as I missing something?
So I have a feeling, you will do whatever you always decide to do, but it seems like the decision will not be based on your mental processing of con & pro but it will certainly will be a blind decision coming from the heart.
Good luck.
AZB
Sorry I have to be rude like this, don't forget, we are talking about the future of your kids.

WOW, one of the very few times I can say I completly agree with one of your posts.

Reactions: AlterEgo

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Seems to me a no brainer. You've got a great career opportunity and the chance to educate your children in the U.S.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
kids have no concept ot "time", so, tell them they are going back, just not yet, in a little while, etc. not next week but after a while, before you know it a few years have passed, the kids have new friends and don't want to go back. i know it's tough when 3 or 4 mouths are nagging you, change the subject. take comfort that at work life may be calmer than at home, enjoy the work, you got selected for a reason. sometimes i'd much rather be at work than at home with the wife complaining about how much she doesn't have, a lot more peaceful and i know what to expect from the guys.........

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
My priority would be educating my children to the best of my ability. Granted your kids love Santiago (who wouldn't?) but their future is going to depend on getting the best education possible.

The quality of life in the DR comes at a cost. Ask yourself how well-prepared for the future your kids will be living and attending school there as opposed to the states.

You need to set up a place where your children can acclimate to the challenges of the future. The best way to do that will be through education. The DR ain't the place for that. The area in North Carolina where you'd be working will suit your kids much better to prepare them for high school, college and beyond.

Whatever your children's interests are, they will be better served by attending school in the states.

As for you, eventually, as you get older you will run out of gas. It happens to everyone. Are you going to keep up such a hectic pace in 10-15 years?

A single mother with four children needs some type of network to rely on. You cannot do it all yourself, even though I've always found you to be something of a "Superwoman". Going back and forth constantly for work in the US not only puts added stress on you, but now you must rely on strangers as a support mechanism for your children. As they grow older they will become more independent, but you now have a newborn. I wouldn't leave a newborn with ANYONE.

The more vulnerable you appear (single mother with four kids, no family in the DR, time away from the country working ) the more you open yourself to wolves in sheep's clothing. Ask yourself this-how many times, in your relations with the Dominicans you've had to depend on, has the situation gotten around to them trying to fleece you or otherwise take advantage?

If you had a strong family in the DR to help, I would say go live your dream. But you don't. Your children miss the DR because it was fun for them, but fun time will not prepare them for the challenges they will face as adults.

And without a good education, they face two paths-abject failure or gross underachievement.

I hope this helps and please understand my intentions were not to bash but to illustrate my point of view.

One of Berzin's best posts. Totally agree.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
You are young and your kids are young. You are still building a financial base for yourself and your loved ones. If it is the father of the child who you need to be with but as you have said thousands of times that you won't bring him over to the USA, well I believe passing by such an opportunity (Chapel Hill job, kids education) just to go to Santiago to be with him is worst than bringing him over. I say if cannot live without him is to bring him over, worst case scenario is he flees to NY and you yank him by putting him in Child Support, so he has to work "obligao".

Do you think I love it here in Vegas? I would be in Playa Caribe by now drinking whisky until it runs out, but I have to think on my and my loved ones future. DR's is not a country to be short of money, or without a steady income. Maybe plan your yearly vacations well and head over the DR to have the time of your life every year. Besides that job will look tight in your resume. If I were you I would stay.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
very American of you to ask the opinion of your children....I think the adult should be teliing the children whats happening

This is true too, here in USA children's opinions has a lot of pull in grown up decisions. When I was a child I was told this: "los muchachos hablan cuando las gallinas mean".

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Berzin, very well put, Thank you.
Let me put to rest the assumptions that I make all of my decisions based on men. If that was the case, I would not even consider the job because "mi novio" is in Santiago. BTW, he is no tiguere, he has his own job and is entering his last year in the University for Engineering. There are many homes in Sajoma and Jarabacoa that were blueprinted by him and built by him and his father.
None of my children were mistakes and I do all that I do for them. I have never been on welfare or depended on my family to support my kids, I could easily drop them off with my "momma" and run off to Santiago to live a single life but I have never been separated from them since age 18. Like I stated before, as a nurse I have worked 50 and 60 hour work weeks, fitting in a day here or there to spend with my kids whereas when we lived in Santiago I spent much more time with them. I learned WHO my kids were, learned more about their personalities, and spent more time with them than I did in the States, then and now. Yes, I rushed back to the States but I had several reasons for that, not just to give birth because at the time I was only 2 months pregnant, I had plenty of time.
I have said too much already as I told myself that I was not going to explain myself to people who do not know me personally and try to guess my biography by what I post on this forum.
Continue with the advice, please no more about mi novio because my decisions have never been based on him, then or now. They are based on my children and I, and how we feel.
SHALENA

P.S.
I have been a Nurse for 10 years and know how babies are made. If I have 10 more it will be my perogative because it's me who supports them.
Thank You

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I Thought alot about my kids education, this time I would put them in Santiago Christian School. Thus school can match any school in the States and over 90% ( or is it 95%) graduate and go on to University in the States. Google it and check it out for yourself.
SHALENA

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
When I was raised we did what we were told, when we were told and all it took was "a look" to put us in check. Our desires were NEVER considered when the parental unit was making wise choices for the good of the family.

Stop with the emotion and use good judgement...it sounds like you're a signle mom with a newborn...be a responsible adult and make the right choices for your family.

You can either raise future doctors and nurses in the U.S. or moto-concho drivers, shoe shiners and windshield washers in Santiago...tell the kids they can return to the DR on their own--when they GRADUATE.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
"History Lesson"

I was born and raised in the North East U.S.

I hated the cold and eventually moved to Florida.
After 25 plus years I became a contract programmer.

Spend 1 1/2 years in D.C. area and then a full year in St. Louis.
Funny how making globs of money as a contractor had an effect on my dislike for the cold weather.

Santiago is not going to get cheaper to live in, in the future.
Job opportunities in the D.R. are not going to be great for your kids in the future.
Santiago right now is a playground for them, it is not a good life choice for them in the future.

And as others have pointed out, once they get older, the PLAYGROUND will go away
..... and so will they, IF and WHEN they find jobs or some Tigre(?) to move in with.

Unless you have an extreme personal reason to give up a promising career, stay in the STATES!
Your kids future is not the playground they now find so appealing.

You and your kids will not be happy living on half the income you had before.

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I Thought alot about my kids education, this time I would put them in Santiago Christian School. Thus school can match any school in the States and over 90% ( or is it 95%) graduate and go on to University in the States. Google it and check it out for yourself.
SHALENA
Yes but it is expensive, if you will be working part time it will be hard to pay for three kids in this school.
I used to play with the baby spraying water with the hose in the marquesina too.
FotosdeCrystal661.jpg

The baby love it.
JJ

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Shalena can you accept the position and go back and forth as you did in the past?

I think you should wait for a few months to make the decision, you just had a baby and your hormones are all over the place. ;) How long do you get in the US for maternity leave?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Shalena can you accept the position and go back and forth as you did in the past?

I think you should wait for a few months to make the decision, you just had a baby and your hormones are all over the place. ;) How long do you get in the US for maternity leave?

I wish but that is not possible. My schedule will be 7am-5:30pm four days per week plus after 1 year, I will have to take call. Plus, to stay on the roll for the job that I have now, I will need to work 3 days for them every 6 weeks as a casual nurse.
I was a travel nurse when I lived in Santiago, it is MUCH different than being on staff.
Also, they give you one week to decide because so many nurses applied, the residency starts Aug 9th
SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I have not been on my current job long enough for paid maternity leave. I am on leave without pay right now
SHALENA

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
an additional child now and to raise all of them with half you had as a income before? don't think much about their beloved playground, think about a good career for yourself for which you have the opportunity now so you are able to maintain the best education for all of them so in the future they will be in the best position to travel themselves and decide themselves where to live and work etc.
in the US YOU will get the best to advance in your own profession, good for all in the future.
in the US THEY will get the best education and you make the bucks to pay for THEM.
if after a few years, financially and professionally ready yourself and educationwise your kids prepared for it, you all together can decide to move to Santiago or somewhere else or to maybe just stay in NC.
but such is of course your decision, and it should be yours, you are the adult in the family, you know yourself and your kids best.
without knowing you and your kids and your way of living very well in person it is impossible to give advice on such important decision.
from my outsider point of view i would say stay and advance and find out what the future brings up in NC for all of you.
good luck anywhere
Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.