I Think I Need a New Barber.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
It is good to see what you deal with... for me, the best indications that a business is worth visiting are:

1. The business is full of customers at most times,
2. The prices are signed or easily obtainable before the service/product is bought,
3. I can see the product or examples before I buy

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
You are not a shortsighted fool,DS.This is how the locals are when they know you are a foreigner.
I was being over charged also in the hair salons when they found out I lived abroad and I'm
Dominican.

Wow, thats crazy, you got that treatment just because you lived overseas? The dentist I use is excellent, he charges me a great rate and he offers good service AND he had a good handshake. He is the only dentist I plan on using. The Barber was just the opposite. I'm not going to give out his name or anything here because I don't want people to know which part of the DR I live in. But I recommend expatriates who come down here to trust their gut. If you think you're being overcharged you probably are.

And, if you think a local is overcharging you, DO NOT CONFRONT THEM. Do not argue. Just let them take their little pesos and then never visit them again. I just really think the whole thing is funny. If I walk past his shop again, and he asks me to stop buy(like he did before), I will politely say we'll see, and then never go there, lol.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Also remember the dominican mentality. You say his shop is always empty. What do they do when sales are down....increase the price and you were the sucker that he thought would pay. Screw him and find another

Well rogerjac, I was the sucker he thought would pay, lol. But that is okay, that is the last peso he will ever get from me. I will check out the other shops in the area.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Wow, thats crazy, you got that treatment just because you lived overseas? The dentist I use is excellent, he charges me a great rate and he offers good service AND he had a good handshake. He is the only dentist I plan on using. The Barber was just the opposite. I'm not going to give out his name or anything here because I don't want people to know which part of the DR I live in. But I recommend expatriates who come down here to trust their gut. If you think you're being overcharged you probably are.

And, if you think a local is overcharging you, DO NOT CONFRONT THEM. Do not argue. Just let them take their little pesos and then never visit them again. I just really think the whole thing is funny. If I walk past his shop again, and he asks me to stop buy(like he did before), I will politely say we'll see, and then never go there, lol.

That's exactly what I do.I don't confront them but I will never set foot in that place again.That's why I don't tip because they overcharge,I figure they already got their tip.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Holy crap! and all this time you were focusing on a "girly" handshake. You got bigger problems than that buddy, don't walk..RUN!

Seriously! And I really got spooked when he called me his friend, the guy doesn't even know my first name! I'm avoiding him like the Bubonic plague!

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
this is a correct price if the barber trimmed your pubes with own teeth and threw a happy ending into that deal...
Better be a barber of the female brand in this case

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"DARK" it is VERY common for barbers in the DR to charge 800 pesos!!!!
You did have anal sex with him, Right????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I bought a WAHL beard & mustache trimmer
I trim those, and cut off all my hair about every 3 or 4 months.
I have a Very Firm Handshake, and don't like having anal sex with a barber, so it's a "Win-Win" situation for me!

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
WOW you got a lot to learn about the DR.......his handshake was weak because he couldn't stop laughing at such a stupid foreigner coming back to pay over 800 pesos for a haircut. 80 pesos for haircut and shave with tip a hundred, maybe 150.

You can get Anna at Salon Anna in Cabarete to wash cut and blowdry your hair for 500 pesos......

800 pesos, LOL

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
That's exactly what I do.I don't confront them but I will never set foot in that place again.That's why I don't tip because they overcharge,I figure they already got their tip.

Someone mentioned earlier that they raise the prices when business is down, I noticed that to yesterday. I went in one store and the shirt were like three times what I paid when I went in the first time. To make matters worse, when I walked in the lady got alarmed because I had my shopping bags with me from other stores I had visited and made me put them behind the front counter because she thought I would steal, are you kidding me? Has this ever happened to you or anyone else? I've been to that store before and paid so why would she think I would steal? The whole thing was uncomfortable and that is yet another store that I probably won't be going back into. Correct me if I'm wrong everyone, but according to the laws of economics, aren't you supposed to lower prices when business is slow?

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
The bag thing has come into fashion lately - it does cut down on theft..

If they make all customers leave their bags at the front counter then I'd say it was just business as usual.. otherwise you might reconsider

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Someone mentioned earlier that they raise the prices when business is down, I noticed that to yesterday. I went in one store and the shirt were like three times what I paid when I went in the first time. To make matters worse, when I walked in the lady got alarmed because I had my shopping bags with me from other stores I had visited and made me put them behind the front counter because she thought I would steal, are you kidding me? Has this ever happened to you or anyone else? I've been to that store before and paid so why would she think I would steal? The whole thing was uncomfortable and that is yet another store that I probably won't be going back into. Correct me if I'm wrong everyone, but according to the laws of economics, aren't you supposed to lower prices when business is slow?

Yes,according to the law of economics as business is slow,you lower the prices.BUT we are talking
about the dominican mentality,which is the opposite.:tired: :D

There is a thick line separating Dominicans abroad from the Locals.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
WOW you got a lot to learn about the DR.......his handshake was weak because he couldn't stop laughing at such a stupid foreigner coming back to pay over 800 pesos for a haircut.

Yes, it was stupid of me......but it was more stupid of him, especially considering that I would have paid him far more than 800 pesos over the long run. Considering his shop is as empty as a ghost town, and there are other barbers around the corner, his trick was only useful in the short term, but truly smart business people always plan for the long term. As a new expat here, I will make mistakes, the important thing is that I learn from them.

And, as the master Sun Tzu says, "strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." :)

Last edited:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Wow, Scorpion, you need to relax a bit. You do not want to say the name of the barber, because people could figure out where you live? What is the big deal with that? You on the wanted list of Interpol, or what?

Anyways, my barber in Sosua charges me 75rds for trimming beard, moustache, eyebrows, nosehair, etc... Have to ask him to include the pubes next time, although sitting in an open air barbershop with my pants down. I don't want all the girls come running around the corner. I pay 125rds for hair, and the whole works.

He does call me "amigo", but that is ok, as that is the habit here, and he doesn't mean it. We have never shaken hands, but have touched fists. But next time, Scorpion, I will insist, as I also like a firm handshake. On the other hand, I would be more worried if his hands were shaking...

And now you got me worried, he also sits outside a lot, with the place empty. Mind you, not all the time. And I discovered it is a very bad idea to go to the barber on Friday afternoon, or Saturday as then all locals go.

So, my hiding friend, relax, find another barber, and start enjoying life.

BelgianK

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Fishy, I have an Italian in Sosua - a woman.

My Cabrera haircut ( see Kozy's thread in 'stylists") was 250...... the big city Sosua cut is 400.

I have watched her cut hair -- I sat in on one - and liked her---- will be trying it next week

Status
Not open for further replies.