I Think I Need a New Barber.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
LOL.................You guys are simply unbelievable. Having said that, let me join the ranks.
Dark_Scorpion,
Get outside. Take in some fresh air and soak up some rays. Things will start to look brighter.
BTW, I agree with you 100% about the limp handshake.....There really is nothing worse.
There is something very creepy about it.
So just cross the street and find another barber, now that you know how much you shouldn't pay.

jonytuga

Oct 16, 2012
Hey island you'll end up marrying a WWE diva :rambo: I believe their handshake is very strong :laugh:
JT

RayO

Mar 25, 2012
It really is sad that they have gringo pricing. When the fruit/veggie truck came by we grabbed a couple of bunches of those small bananas. The guy charges Ray 100rd. We thought that was a little pricey. Next time we wanted bananas we sent the guy that looks after our place out with 100 pesos to get what he could. The guy comes back with 2 fricken big bags full of bananas. We gave most of them away, way too much for us, but what the hell???? Big sucker signs on our foreheads or what. That's why we like to shop at the bigger places like La Sirena, everyone pays the same price.

Olvidado

Jun 19, 2012
DARK, why are you asking the people of DR1 for guidance? Or advice? Or sharing your experiences with people, who according to your book, are NOT your friends? I wonder, I, on the other hand, consider everyone that comes to this forum my friend;
and in fact, I think, in here we all are!

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
DARK, why are you asking the people of DR1 for guidance? Or advice? Or sharing your experiences with people, who according to your book, are NOT your friends? I wonder, I, on the other hand, consider everyone that comes to this forum my friend;
and in fact, I think, in here we all are!

I think he was the same guy trying to ask how to pick up a Dominican chica.....http://www.dr1.com/forums/men-mars-...cana-today-need-advice-how-make-her-mine.html

All I have to say is you have a lot to learn, just don't forget, you will never change this country, this country will change you

People who can adapt to this situation live enjoyable lives here, people who don't are usually miserable, and grumpy

Last edited:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
i think you have not yet fully integrated in the dominican society. it is very important that you maintain distance from the commoners and never lower yourself to grant them a physical contact with you. the handshake of a plebeian is always weak as those unsophisticated proletarians are malnourished and plagued with various diseases and parasites. you don't want to catch their cooties, do you?
in any case, the protocol of the barber visit is fairly simple. you enter the shop, point at the barber and shout: you, dog, serve me! upon which he should bow and respond: yes, master. it is clear the hairdresser you are using is a poor, underdeveloped soul and his weak mind cannot comprehend your greatness and superiority, hence his mistake in calling you a friend. a gentle flogging during your next visit should set the matters straight. i say gentle because it is obvious this vulgar creature has little mental capacity...

a haircut should cost about 5 pesos but it is customary that a representative of a higher class should award his servants with more to show compassion and good will. i suggest you toss 50 pesos note on the floor before leaving. you can be certain that a barber will bless you loudly while breaking down in tears at the sight of such generosity.
i would not be worried that the place is empty. it is clear that the locals with much better perception have duly noted your distinguished presence and they understand they cannot now frequent a place you have graced with your patronage. of course the barber will live well for entire month on the 50 pesos you gave him so he is happy as well.

if you have any more questions about dominican customs do not hesitate to ask!

This should be a sticky !!!!! LMAO :D:D

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Here I am thinking it was a thread about Barbershop recommendations.

Gotta Love DR1 ! :classic:

@OP: If I were you, I would go back to this Barber. Your barber is a smart, quick thinking man. Who would give a strong handshake and the jeopardize the tool his making a living with: his hands. I am sure your a strong looking man with equally strong and beautiful hair (I am aroused just thinking about it), he didn't overcharge you MY FRIEND, that's what your hair is worth ! Don't be modest ! I would suggest you keep that barber, he is a keeper. Also, for the sake of anonymity for you and your future heirs, it is preferable to limit the number of weak hands going through your hair. Good LUCK !

May 29, 2006
Every place I've gotten my hair cut there were two guys and they doing 3-4 cuts each an hour. They did a better job than what I get in the US in half the time and a quarter of the price.

Dec 26, 2011
I think you should go get a massage before you go get your hair cut, you are obviously a little up tight about the barber shop. If a guy gives me a weak handshake I just put it down that he can't be bothered, I am unimportant to him, so what, he is unimportant to me, just cut my hair, I'm not in the barber shop to have therapy or judge anyone by the handshake they have.
If a guy calls me friend, funnily enough I just figure he is being friendly, I can't really complain that someone is making the effort to be friendly.

RD100-150, RD200 if he shaves you also.

Really funny you are so up tight about the barber not being manly enough, and then you come on the forum to complain about the guy that cuts your hair, lol.

I'm sure he'll live without your few pesos, and your sons, there are plenty barbers around I suggest you try the military base, you may even get a salute:p

I think he's disappointed his cuts aren't coming with a happy ending.

Last edited:

Santiagoguy

Apr 21, 2009
It was higher than 800 pesos; I'll put it this way, the prices he charge approach about what you would pay in the U.S or Canada, and that is how I know he is overcharging me. The stupid thing about it is that he would have made a bunch of money over the long term. BUT, I'm reading this book on Dominican culture and unfortunately for them they have a "live for today" mentality. So I figure his mentality was I'm going to overcharge this sucker Dark Scorpion today and to hell with tomorrow. But the dumb ass just lost a long term customer who would have patronized him for years.

Lets do the math, Givadogahome says you can get haircut for 200 RD. That means if I went to this barber every month he would make 2400 RD a year. In three years he would make 7200 RD. In 6 years he would make 14,400 RD. Now he is going to make ZERO from me because he screwed me on one deal. Dominicans like him will never succeed in business because they are not long term thinkers. They think screwing you in the short term will allow them to become prosperous in the long term....it won't and that is why his shop is empty. Now, in fairness, most of the Dominican businesses I've dealt with so far down here have been good. My dentist is excellent, he had a firm handshake, very reasonable prices, and my teeth are pearly White. I plan on using that dentist for decades, I'm a loyal client and once I become a patron of a business I will exclusively use that service many years.

Just something to think about dark scorpion, did it ever occur to you that maybe he over-charged you so you wont go back? I mean, I'ld be a little freaked out myself if some dude was analyzing the way I shook his hand.... I dunno..

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
When I walk into any store with a bag, and they tell me I have to check it, I ask them if they think I am a thief???
They ALWAYS say "NO!".
Then I ask them why I can't carry my bag???
They NEVER have an answer.I give them one more chance to let me enter, and then I leave.
The Dominican theory of economics is this:
It is better to sell one "Widget" at 10 dollars and make a profit of 8 dollars, than to sell 10 "Widgets" at 5 dollars and make 30 dollars!
And NO ONE can change their minds!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I will do the same thing from now on; if they demand that I check in my bags then I will just walk out the store. Regarding the pricing thing, it isn't necessary for them to change their mind. Once their store is empty long enough, economics will
kick in and they will be forced to close their doors. Economics is like gravity, doesn't matter if you're Indian, Chinese or Dominican you will abide by these laws or you will end up in poverty. A great example of this is the situation in Argentina, where Presidente Cristina Kirchner is setting price controls on super market goods to stem inflation....I've already read books on economics and can predict how it will end....shortages of food as suppliers refuse to restock and customers clean off the shelves. Foreigner stores like Walmart will likely cease operations in Argentina due to fears of nationalization. Price controls don't work and never will, and if Miss Kirchner read a high school level economics book she would know that.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Just something to think about dark scorpion, did it ever occur to you that maybe he over-charged you so you wont go back? I mean, I'ld be a little freaked out myself if some dude was analyzing the way I shook his hand.... I dunno..

The barber has no clue I analyzed his handshake. I told him none of the things I'm telling you people here. From what I'm reading in the book I just got, Dominicans don't respond well to criticism anyway. The thing with me is, I watch and analyze everyone here, what they say and most importantly what they do. I also spend a lot of time analyzing my own actions and mistakes. In any event, I'm not that big on talking to locals. My Spanish isn't fluent and words are often meaningless. Better to watch the actions of people and make an assessment from that. I'm looking to do long term business with reliable people down here. That goes for barbers, lawyers, everything. The key issue with me is trust. Anyone who rips you off over a few hundred pesos is really pathetic, even desperate. The truth is that this guy could make a lot of money as a barber if he learned to think long term. But he doesn't and that is why he is unlikely to expand his operation.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Every place I've gotten my hair cut there were two guys and they doing 3-4 cuts each an hour. They did a better job than what I get in the US in half the time and a quarter of the price.

Exactly, good barbers are constantly busy, oftentimes when you go into their shop you will need to wait because they're already cutting hair. LOL, this guy who cut my hair had virtually no customers. That should have been my first clue right there. A Dominican barber who has business sense can make good money. If you do 4 cuts an hour at 200 pesos a pop that is 6400 RD if you work a full 8 hours. Multiply that by 5 days and that is 32,000 RD. Bring in a second barber and that is 64,000 RD. Even a local Dominican can make great money as a barber if they're fast, efficient, no how to build a client list, plus they can bring in a second barber to take on a greater work load.

A REALLY smart Dominican barber will cross sell hair care products in the shop. He could set up a deal with a local Dominican hair care provider where he buys their products in bulk at a discount, then does a mark up and sells to his clients after they cut their hair. You could do this with aftershave, shampoo, the works. Again, a smart barber should have a "menu" of haircuts and photos of how they look so the customer can decide which style they like. When you walk in and sit down for a cut, then hand you the book and let you look over the photos. One reason many Dominicans are poor is simply that have a poor grasp of economics and business. To become a master sales person your business must be distinct, if I were a local barber I would do everything in my power to make my business stand out from the competition. I would have promotions, a website, periodic sales, shoot if these Dominican barbers thought like I thought they could make a killing.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Can you post the name of the book you are reading ? I am curious

Normally....I'm pretty secretive about the books I read, but this book isn't one of my err um, more "classified" publications, so I can reveal it here. The name of this book is "Dominican Republic - Culture Smart!: The Essential Guide to Customs & Cultu​re" by Ilana Benady. This book is excellent, and in my opinion should be on every expat's reading list. Bear in mind, this is the third book I've read on the DR. This doesn't include internet articles and postings here on DR1! Did I tell you guys I'm a book fanatic? Last year I read 46 books and manuscripts, I completed more books last year than computer games, and I beat a lot of computer games last year.

This book is a "small picture" book, meaning it deals with every day life in the DR. But I also recommend books on the DR that deal with GEOPOLITICS, or the big picture. Geopolitical books on the DR are hard to find because the DR isn't a "significant country." It doesn't have the global influence of China, Germany, Great Britain, Japan, Russia, or the USA so few geopolitical writers will waste their time covering the DR, since the country is simply too small and economically/militarily weak to be relevant. Having said that, for those of us who live here, I think understanding Dominican geopolitics is extremely important.

Status
Not open for further replies.