I thought this only happened in NY/LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
18-Year-Old Junior Alexander Manon Beaten to Death by Toronto Police on May 5

Dominican youth beaten to death by cops in Toronto. Cops claim he collapsed and died of a heart attack...witnesses say they beat him up. Either or...an autopsy will reaveal all.

To keep this more Dominican related...anyone know or have a ball park figure of what the Dominican population is in Toronto? If there is a large presence I'm sure there will be some anti-police rallys.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Not a big community in Toronto...

I saw the story on the news last night and also remember hearing about it the night before when it happened.

I am surprised that this youth is Dominican because I did not detect that at all on the news last night when they showed his sister (I believe). I knew it was a family of Caribbean descent and left it at that in mind and secondly because the Dominican community is not that large in Toronto and is completely out of the main stream media. If this were Montreal where Dominicans are a dime a dozen, I would not be surprised. The Toronto Dominican population is not the mainstream Latino population meaning Toronto has a lot of Latinos but the large populations are from Ecuador, El Salvador, Colombia, Peru and Mexico.

No, this is not usual for the Toronto police to beat a person to death but with all the problems in the last six years with Black youth etc it now has reached critical mass in my opinion. In that area where he was is one of the problem areas in Toronto in a broad sense. Areas surrounding Jane/ Finch, Keele/ Finch, Keele/ Lawrence, Jane/ Wilson, between Jane and Weston and surrounding communities are typical and Dominicans live there. No doubt he panicked because he probably had no idea why the police wanted to pull them over (he and his friend) and by his outward appearance, he's a Black youth. He showed no signs of resisting according to witnesses then the cops just took the situation out of control and you know when that happens the end result is tragic.

A few days before there was a round up of two major street gangs in Toronto and they are still looking for more youth and this could just be a case of mistaken identity, being in the wrong place at the wrong time and then the situation got out of control.

I hope once this investigation is completed, and if the policemen involved are found guilty, they are punished accordingly because it's not typical of the Toronto police to beat anyone but these days you hear of so many problematic encounters and in this case the outcome was tragic.

~MP.

Last edited:

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I too saw it on the news but did not know he was Dominican and as Marianopolita says, the Dominican community in Toronto is pretty invisible compared to a larger presence of Latinos from other countries.

There has been an ongoing problem over the last several weeks at the Las Brisas nightclub where the police come every weekend (sometimes dozens at a time) because there has been escalating violence between Dominicans and El Salvadorians and others and given the recent round-up of gang members in the area there is heightened awareness in the Jane/Finch area of problems with Dominicans (who generally don't cause problems in Toronto).

As far as what happened, I have no idea and certainly hope the police did not beat him (which is NOT the norm in Toronto) but right now I think it's a lot of hearsay and I will wait to see what the investigation turns up. Remember that a lot of the "witnesses" are likely not unbiased so you have to take their comments with a grain of salt.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I too saw it on the news but did not know he was Dominican and as Marianopolita says, the Dominican community in Toronto is pretty invisible compared to a larger presence of Latinos from other countries.

There has been an ongoing problem over the last several weeks at the Las Brisas nightclub where the police come every weekend (sometimes dozens at a time) because there has been escalating violence between Dominicans and El Salvadorians and others and given the recent round-up of gang members in the area there is heightened awareness in the Jane/Finch area of problems with Dominicans (who generally don't cause problems in Toronto).

As far as what happened, I have no idea and certainly hope the police did not beat him (which is NOT the norm in Toronto) but right now I think it's a lot of hearsay and I will wait to see what the investigation turns up. Remember that a lot of the "witnesses" are likely not unbiased so you have to take their comments with a grain of salt.

Jane & Finch has always had a problem for prostitution - has it not ?

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a beating... take for example Robert at the Vancouver airport that flew in from Poland and got Tased to death...

Sad what cops can get away with here

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Jane & Finch has always had a problem for prostitution - has it not ?

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a beating... take for example Robert at the Vancouver airport that flew in from Poland and got Tased to death...

I didn't say anything about prostitution - what does that have to do with this thread?

As for the man getting tazered at the Vancouver Airport, it was wrong, there was a large scale public inquiry into the event, the outcome of which has been sweeping changes across the country in terms of how, when and if tasers can be used by the police at all. I'm not saying injustices have never happened here but we certainly are not a country known for voilence to the public from our police force.

In this case there is an ongoing investgation and I'm sure we'll know more soon.

May 12, 2005
What makes all the "experts" here so sure this guy didn't violently and physically resist being arrested?? And that he wasn't high on drugs like PCP?? The combination of stimulant drugs and adrenaline can easily overwhelm a person's system and cause cardiac arrest.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
What makes all the "experts" here so sure this guy didn't violently and physically resist being arrested?? And that he wasn't high on drugs like PCP?? The combination of stimulant drugs and adrenaline can easily overwhelm a person's system and cause cardiac arrest.

My thoughts exactly! That's why I'm waiting for more info until I have an opinion as to whether something went wrong.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004

I totally agree... just stated my opinion based on what I read.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I totally agree... just stated my opinion based on what I read.

And I read: Pieters said both teens were known to officers in the Jane and Finch neighbourhood where they lived and that at least two of the officers who were at the scene where Manon died ?have been to his house many times.?

18-Year-Old Junior Alexander Manon Beaten to Death by Toronto Police on May 5

Dominican youth beaten to death by cops in Toronto. Cops claim he collapsed and died of a heart attack...witnesses say they beat him up. Either or...an autopsy will reaveal all.

To keep this more Dominican related...anyone know or have a ball park figure of what the Dominican population is in Toronto? If there is a large presence I'm sure there will be some anti-police rallys.

That alledged news organization seems to have problems with everyone from the police,the people that investigate the police,other news organizations. They seem like they have an ax to grind. What have the other news papers in Toronto written on this?
Why is it always the police who are wrong??? He shouldn't have run if he did nothing wrong. He was apparently well known to officers in the area, Usually not a sign that he is a boy scout!!! Before you jump to conclusions about whether the police acted properly or not,why not wait for the facts to come out after a full investigation. How many of you out there have to wear a bullet resistant vest to work?? How many of you run away at the first sign of trouble in the street??? These men and women have to run toward the trouble, why not give them the benifit of the doubt, I think they desrve that much respect because Lord knows they dont do it for the pay.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
SOOOO glad to hear that beating people to death is "not the norm" in Canada.
Yeeeeeesh!
That must mean you think it's the "norm" elsewhere, like when you beat up on LA and NY, huh?
Your outrage boils over at the US incidents, but you mumble about "well, it's not, you know, like, the 'norm'" when it comes to Canada.
Little more outrage is called for I should think.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
SOOOO glad to hear that beating people to death is "not the norm" in Canada.
Yeeeeeesh!
That must mean you think it's the "norm" elsewhere, like when you beat up on LA and NY, huh?
Your outrage boils over at the US incidents, but you mumble about "well, it's not, you know, like, the 'norm'" when it comes to Canada.
Little more outrage is called for I should think.

Yes, you are correct, if he was actually beaten to death. When there are conflicting stories on what happened, I'd prefer to wait for the autopsy results. This little angel seemed to be well known by the police and when stopped ran like hell ( because he wasn't doing anything wrong).

May 29, 2006
NY or LA? What about the hundreds of deaths at the hands of police in the DR? There would be riots if the number of police deaths that happens in the DR happened in the US even without adjusting for the per capita rate. Things aren't perfect in the US, but there are bad guys out there with much more firepower than the police have. In the town I lived in Vermont, the police did kill someone in a church who would not drop a knife, but they also managed to talk down a crazed vet with a live grenade with a six pack of beer. Cops in AZ are also trying to stop the "show me your papers" bill.

We just had a group of nine toothless yahoos who were planning on killing a cop then opening fire on the cop's funeral, and recently four cops were killed by some other nutball in a diner while they were simply sitting down to eat. A year ago three other cops were killed in cold blood. It is a very bad time to be a cop in the US and this gratuitous bashing is ridiculous. Cops are being murdered in the US simply for being in uniform. So do me a favor, and have a cup of STFU...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Pittsburgh_police_shootings

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/TheLaw/mic...ee-targeted-law-enforcement/story?id=10228716

http://www.komonews.com/news/national

Last edited:

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I didn't read the link, ..
Well, then why bother posting a reply?

Badpiece, was questioning some extremely questionable journalism and asked what other Toronto newspapers had written. I posted the link to a reputable newspaper that was, in fact, being discredited as a police supporter in the original bogus article.

Status
Not open for further replies.