I want my house!!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I make no assumptions, and wasn't talking about the value of YOUR house, (other than to say that the value is undetermined, whatever it might be). What I SAID is that your neighbor's house is over priced, and you confirmed that for me with the fact that the newly built homes are being sold in a timely manner.

oh... and I do look forward to visiting Santiago sometime in the future when I can spend longer periods of time in the D.R. For the time being my visits are limited to a week or so at a time, so that keeps me pretty close to "home" in Cortecito / Bavaro.

The calcs I were referring to were for my neighbors house. They are asking RD6.5M and I think there house is worth no more than RD5.5M or so. The owner lives in Boston and apparently is in no hurry to sell according to her brother. Since my house is at least 20 m2 larger I think it's safe to say I could get RD5M for mine. Still even if it is worth RD4.7M it would mean property values have risen 10% since I bought it in 2006. The cost for my 280 m2 house and 340 m2 lot are RD16,800 per m2. I just built a house for someone for around RD17,000 per m2 but that didn't include the lot so my house would be a very good deal for what is selling in my area.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i can't with this. please, let us not make every thread about houses or/and santiago a story about chip, ok?

this is about shalena. please. and chip, you should know well, and so should shalena, that it's NOT about square footage. 280 or 260 meters is no difference. i remember when shalena came here she wanted a house with separate room for each of her kids. this might have gone a dominican reality adjustment but the number of children was adjusted as well :)

what she will be looking for in not how many meters (we are talking a fairly large size anyways) but how many bedrooms, how many bathrooms, size of the kitchen, quality of fixtures and appliances. a larger house may sell for less than a smaller one if it has only one bathroom, less dormitorios or even a setup that does not permit future growth (one more floor or a bigger galleria) or immediate changes (splitting large bedroom in two, expanding the kitchen, creating additional toilet).

i will not even mention things like plumbing, wiring, tinaco, cisterna, garage, trees in the garden and so. a smaller house of your neighbour, chip, may be worth than yours if it is a better house or something appealing to a wider range of buyers. of course having you next door lowers the value considerably but still ;)

Sep 4, 2012
i can't with this. please, let us not make every thread about houses or/and santiago a story about chip, ok?;)

Why not?

Just wait for CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC reply.........lol

I think this was one of the best discussed subjects I've had the chance to read on DR1. The OP received great inputs and feedback. Now is up to her to make an informed decision.

Nothing more to add, just waiting for CCCCCCCCCCCCC to answer to the above. It'll be fun to see :p

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
i can't with this. please, let us not make every thread about houses or/and santiago a story about chip, ok?

this is about shalena. please. and chip, you should know well, and so should shalena, that it's NOT about square footage. 280 or 260 meters is no difference. i remember when shalena came here she wanted a house with separate room for each of her kids. this might have gone a dominican reality adjustment but the number of children was adjusted as well :)

what she will be looking for in not how many meters (we are talking a fairly large size anyways) but how many bedrooms, how many bathrooms, size of the kitchen, quality of fixtures and appliances. a larger house may sell for less than a smaller one if it has only one bathroom, less dormitorios or even a setup that does not permit future growth (one more floor or a bigger galleria) or immediate changes (splitting large bedroom in two, expanding the kitchen, creating additional toilet).

i will not even mention things like plumbing, wiring, tinaco, cisterna, garage, trees in the garden and so. a smaller house of your neighbour, chip, may be worth than yours if it is a better house or something appealing to a wider range of buyers. of course having you next door lowers the value considerably but still ;)

Hopefully Shalena is taking note and getting a good idea of what the market rate is for homes out there. As far a a house size goes, a 5 bedroom (incl cuarto de servicio) with decent sized bdrms need only be around 230-240 sm - or about 5.6-5.7M including the lot. This does not include a family room upstairs though but can be added(12m2). There I just save Shalena US20,000.

Furthermore, if Shalena takes my advice she could build the first level and then do the other level sometime later on when she has enough capital. Anyone who is paying 20% annually on a loan knows how hard it can be to pay it off. Also, with regard to the second level, instead of having to put up with the noise and inconvenience she can return to the States for the summer and it would be done by then.

All in all then I think I just saved Shalena at least US20-40k. :) Here is an example floor plan for the first floor and an elevation of the finished home.

New Picture.jpgNew Picture1.jpg

Sep 4, 2012
Few things I noticed with the floor plan:

1. No direct entrance from the garage to the kitchen or direct to the house other than the main door.

2. Service room has not bathroom.

3. No exit from dining room to backyard.

4. The living room is isolated/enclosed.

5. The Lobby is a wasted space.

6. Staircase is also wasting valuable space.

Where are the upstairs floor plans?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This getting a bit out of hand , if you ask me.

We have a first time home buyer expressing the doubts/fears/questions that any other first timer would ask.

The responses are typical... most of the responders are not in favor of RD property ownership in ANY given case, not just this one.

Rent to own is a good compromise if it can be had.

Shalena,
How long are you planning on being in Santiago?

Rule of thumb for home ownership cost is 1/3 of your paycheck.

Get out into the market place and do some legwork... what are costs per sq M of land, of building?

Satisfy YOURSELF about values in the neighborhood.

I think you need the basic tools outlined for you.... not our opinions.

Historically, Shalena has demonstrated (at least to me) that she can reason pretty well.
It was for that reason that I asked about the 'first time' bit. Clearly she was adrift.

What she needs here is education.... albeit some from our collective experience.

Buying for a family in residential Santiago has differences compared to buying an oveanview condo in Bavaro for retirement/vacation.

At her age and situation, home ownership may be higher up the list than for some of us..... it might be overdue given her lifetime earnings and the value of her savings.
She has education needs that will arise.... this alone may forestall home ownership.

Many of the personal issues that weigh in this important life question are unknown to us - but well known to SK.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

1. No direct entrance from the garage to the kitchen or direct to the house other than the main door.

The plans were developed over a 4 month period and were customized to the clients wishes. Send me a pm for more info.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i also did not like the house (stairs up from the comedor and entrance to the bathroom from the comedor too) but to each their own. my mother in law does not like open space we have here, she says it is not good that maids can hear our conversations :)
i say, what maids, damn? :)

in any case, chip, no one is saving shalena any money here. we are only giving advice and suggestions. shalena, i think, is a very passionate woman, active, outgoing, full of life. she has a big family, many friends. her choice of a house will be directed by all those things. i doubt she can make a decision based on reason alone. and that is a good thing. she said herself she is not buying an investment: she is buying a family home. and this decision should be also based on the heart. it is one thing to check the house for potential problems (reason) and another to see the house is in good condition and fall in love with too.

so, shalena, no worries. think, look and reason but also feel. you want a house where all of you could be happy. keep in mind that factor too.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

I like a lobby, nice place to hang family pictures and you're not ambling in from the outside directly into a room. And I don't think it's a garage, just a covered parking area so it doesn't really need it's own entrance door. Nice looking elevation pic, I like it.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That seems like a very good deal.

If you like 1/2 acre lots -- 2500M squared??

I would prefer a bit more elbow room.... but thats just me.

Does Jarabacoa need those walls and window bars?
I thought it was a quiet little community.
We don't have that here where i am

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
So starting January 1st, 2013 will save $2,000 US per month ($2,500 when I can swing it) and decide what to do in 5 years.
I would like to own a home by my 45th birthday, I am 37 now. By that time, there will only be 2 children in the home, my 2 boys. My oldest will be in Grad school, and the 2nd in her first year of college, si Dios quiere. So I guess from this point, it's just watch and save. I'll come back to this thread every year if I remember and let you know how it's going.
In the meantime, I pray that my house isn't sold from under me.

SHALENA

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If you like 1/2 acre lots -- 2500M squared??

I would prefer a bit more elbow room.... but thats just me.

Does Jarabacoa need those walls and window bars?
I thought it was a quiet little community.
We don't have that here where i am

Better Safe than sorry. Many homes in Jarabacoa proper don't have bars or high fences. The drug culture, unfortunately affects Jarabacoa.