"I want pancakees mi amor"

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Every weekend I think about a little story having to do with language and how I hear some words. This past Father's Day everyone in my complex was having breakfast at the beach. My GF looked at the menu and said "I want pan cak eesee". I had one of those moments where I thought I needed the language gods to come and help me because I'm not familiar with this Dominican dish. Just about everyone is ordering the typical Dominican breakfast. Those items I know. My GF never speaks English. I give here a response of EH??
She devoured the pancakes like a Hoover vacuum machine. I had NO idea this was a favorite here. Now every weekend we make pancakes with blueberries out of a box instead of the $5 a plate at the beach.

Happy weekend everybody! Keep the faith and believe that our misery with the virus will end real soon.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Every weekend I think about a little story having to do with language and how I hear some words. This past Father's Day everyone in my complex was having breakfast at the beach. My GF looked at the menu and said "I want pan cak eesee". I had one of those moments where I thought I needed the language gods to come and help me because I'm not familiar with this Dominican dish. Just about everyone is ordering the typical Dominican breakfast. Those items I know. My GF never speaks English. I give here a response of EH??
She devoured the pancakes like a Hoover vacuum machine. I had NO idea this was a favorite here. Now every weekend we make pancakes with blueberries out of a box instead of the $5 a plate at the beach.

Happy weekend everybody! Keep the faith and believe that our misery with the virus will end real soon.

What kills me is when they eat them without syrup.

Reactions: johne

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I always have pancake mix in my DR pantry, and you’re right, Dominicans go crazy over them when I make them. They call them “gringo jonny queque “ 😂. I make a few extra for the caretaker, after I found out he was saving half of his to share with his wife.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I dont but my daughter misses her daily pancakes. I used to buy the ones already made and frozen. Pop a couple in the toaster and she was a happy camper. And cheap too. It was 2 bucks canadian for 8 patties. I have seen them here at jumbo but they are almost 200 pesos and only available sometimes.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
We make plantain pancakes as well as plantain tortillas; for those adverse to flour. DELICIOSO!

What a great way to start a weekend, Johne!

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Damm..I want pancakes now :LOL: pricemart has the best mix u better like a cakes huge bag though...