I want to Move To the D.R. Very Much but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamoraMachel

Jun 1, 2003
Cuba or the Dominican Republic?

naitsirch79 said:
The person said:

I would love to go to cuba but like I said it isn't so free these days.

Thanks and this convo is done. PEACE TO EVERYONE> LMAO

I am trying to understand the dilemma here. The Dominican Republic is your second choice because you feel that you can't go to Cuba? You are vehement about your desire to pack up and move to the DR when your preference is for Cuba. If you have an adventurous spirit, why not just go for it. I don't understand what you mean about Cuba not being so "free" right now. I have come across countless numbers of trips being scheduled to Cuba. You can go through any number of colleges that are hosting study abroad experiences. I even came across a World Excursion vacation to Cuba. You really can go if you want to and Cuba really does have a lot to offer. Despite the current embargo, it continues to excel in the arts and sciences. I hope that you have found what you have been looking for here. Best wishes.

Sammie

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Not Really

santobonao said:
rick do you care if a i am spanish person

You seem to annoy us with the reams of notes on airlines and schedules and all in English.

Yet when this fellow tells you that he doesn't understand Spanish you switch to writing in Spanish and as such he cannot read what you wrote.

Nobody else here wants to read what you write for the most part, so the message should be of use to HIM, right?

Or there is no need to post.

naitsirch79

Hanging by a thread...
Jun 17, 2003
Re Cuba or Dominican Republic

not that you have to read every single post that I have written but before I stated that Cuba and Dominica would be the countries that I would actually like to live or be in but Cuba is not really a free country, I would even know how to begin in figuring out how I would make a living there? Plus like I stated before I am a very light mulatto and I heard Cuba is not all that freindly to them like they were supposed to and should be. NOT that the DR is supposed to be much better, but at least it is free and at some point I would either want to maintain a business there or start one. Cuba I don't think would give the same oppertunity.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Re: Re Cuba or Dominican Republic

naitsirch79 said:
not that you have to read every single post that I have written but before I stated that Cuba and Dominica would be the countries that I would actually like to live or be in...

FYI Dominica is actually another country not to be confused with Dominican Republic, and yes they are both islands in the Caribe so I just wanted to point that out...

I suggest you read up on the several threads regarding racism in Dominican Republic just so you have a better feel for what you will or won't encounter when you finaly decide to visit the DR.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When I was 23 years old,I was working in Boston.

I was single,and making "OK" money,but I was bored,and I wanted to "See The World".I saved 12 thousand dollars,quit my job,and moved to Thailand! I had never been there,and could not speak one word of whatever language they spoke there!I loved the place! I learned the language,got married,and then let my Thai wife convince me to move back to Boston!
What you propose to do,can be done.The DR is a hard place to live, with money,speaking the language,and being a "Street Smart Survivor" like me!I say "Come on down!" Just promise to keep posting everything that you do here.We will say "I Told You SO!" when the time comes! Who knows,you may surprise us all!
When I married my dominican wife,I didn't follow "Hillbilly's Rules on Marrying a Dominican".All my American friends told me that she only wanted a "Visa",and would leave me as soon as she got it.I am 30 years older that my wife! I told them that after one year,we would know who had made the right decision,me,or them! That was 8 years and 2 and1/2 kids ago!We still live here! Do what ever you want,you can't tell a 24 year old anything anyway! Thank God! Cris

naitsirch79

Hanging by a thread...
Jun 17, 2003
Criss see that is what I am talking about.

What year did you move to thailand with 12 thousand dollars? What happened to your Ty wife? Tell me of some of your adventures you had when you got off the boat to thailand. What was the hardest and what was comorting at first start.

This is what I want to hear.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I went to Thailand in 1973! 12 thousand was a LOT of money in those days!

Hardest thing was kissing the girls before I started eating Thai food! The garlic,hot peppers,and fish sauce were too much!I used a lot of "Drugs" in those days.The beaches were unreal!The sea food was unreal! The girls were unreal! Cambodia & Laos were unreal!
My "Thai Wife" is still in Boston.We have been divorced for about 20 years! She became "Americanized"!
That is why I would never move to the states with my Dominican wife.The American women might tell her that it is not "normal" for husbands to have a lot of "girlfriends" in the USA!
I thought that "Oriental" women were the most exotic,erotic,sexual creatures in the world!Then in 1984 I came to the DR to get a divorce,and found out I was wrong! The Dominicanas are the greatest women in the world!The beaches and seafood are better in the orient,but the dominican ladies more than make up for that!cris colon:cool:

naitsirch79

Hanging by a thread...
Jun 17, 2003
kewl Criss

Thanks man see that is the inspiration I was looking for. Did you learn to speak thai when you were there and do you speak spanish now? Oh yea when you first went to thai and you couldn't speak or do much of anything, what type of job did you get? Where did you find your home, and how did people view you.

More more more.

Thanks

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
all you need is...

a machette, a tarp, a cooking pot. You can camp out on my farm and chop weeds for 150 RD/day. If you can dig stumps and move rocks I might give you 200 RD/day. If you cook your own food you can clear about 110 RD/day.

Oh wait, I dont hire starry eyed idealists....

SamoraMachel

Jun 1, 2003
Re: all you need is...

sjh said:
a machette, a tarp, a cooking pot. You can camp out on my farm and chop weeds for 150 RD/day. If you can dig stumps and move rocks I might give you 200 RD/day. If you cook your own food you can clear about 110 RD/day.

Oh wait, I dont hire starry eyed idealists....

Hey, are you still accepting applications? I am a nature girl at heart. I might have to take you up on that offer.

Montessorian

Apr 1, 2002
www.patriaquerida.homestead.com
Not all expats came to DR with money.

Yes, moving to the Dominican Republic is a very hard thing to do.

I will admit it, I am jealous of all of you who live the life that I want. I want to be living there, but have not yet found the courage to pick my self up and do what I want to do. ( I have done my reasearch, and travel there to visit family 4 to 6 times a year).

However, I do know of one DR1 poster who moved to the DR from england with just a few bucks in his pocket and dreams. And he made it, and good, and is doing well. So can many others if they find the will and desire. Dont beat them for being curious, and having a dream.

To those of you who live in Republica Dominicana, I envy you, but I know what I need to do to make my own dream happen. Please excuse those, who may have a dream ahead of them, or even may be pipe dreaming. But sometimes in life all you have is to dream.

O.k. I'm off my soapbox.

P.S. going to Santiago/SD/ in the a.m. and will be there a week;) Yahooo!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: Re Cuba or Dominican Republic

naitsirch79 said:
not that you have to read every single post that I have written but before I stated that Cuba and Dominica would be the countries that I would actually like to live or be in but Cuba is not really a free country, I would even know how to begin in figuring out how I would make a living there? Plus like I stated before I am a very light mulatto and I heard Cuba is not all that freindly to them like they were supposed to and should be. NOT that the DR is supposed to be much better, but at least it is free and at some point I would either want to maintain a business there or start one. Cuba I don't think would give the same oppertunity.
Look you silly goose, Dominica is another Island and not the Dominican Republic. You are just a little sissy who comes here starey eyed and silly as a goose.

Where do these silly people come here from? He met a Dominican in Miami and he is now an expert although he hasn't been to the DR? Why do you think the Dominican is living in Miami to begin with El Goose?

naitsirch79

Hanging by a thread...
Jun 17, 2003
Jazzcomm wrote
Look you silly goose, Dominica is another Island and not the Dominican Republic. You are just a little sissy who comes here starey eyed and silly as a goose.

And then I wrote;
Jazzcom are you a big fat silly American or what. You silly rabbit tricks are for kids. when I said Dominica I forgot the Republic on the end. Now as far as you and the other idiot who quickly jumped at the oppertunity to point out that those two are different I already new that. You silly fat ugly American you.

Again this post is turning into very positivness and I have learned so much, people are actually even emailing me giving me suggestions because you ignoramaces are so mean( I apologize to the rest of us who are actually civil and not trying to be funny jerks.) that they don't want to put what they feel or know in the room.

Why don't you grow up Jazz

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
It is great to have dreams but they have to be rational

Naitsarich79(sp),
I want to be a millionaire, win the lottery, be better looking, etc but that isn't based in reality. Seriously I want to live in the DR, but I would last up to two years living moderately(cheaply) for about 600US and then I would be broke. I have researched a lot, not just by computer but by talking with DR members here, asking around when I am in the DR and making observations while there. You shouldn't criticize those who are trying to help you out, though some are negative TRUTHS that aren't pleasing to hear.

I find it very disturbing that you want to move to another country due to a country's demographic regarding ancestry/skin color. The US is a melting pot by the way and the DR has similar racism so there is no perfect medium. Before you start making rash judgements, I beseech you to take a trip outside of an AI for at least 2 weeks and travel around the country and asking your questions to expats, business owners(small and large), and Dominicans of various social classes. The DR is a wonderful country but many have came unprepared and many have had to leave with shattered dreams and disillusioned. My novia lives in the DR and is now working in Santo Domingo at an average clerical type job. She is making close to 7000RD a month and with the peso devaluation she is having a hard time making ends meet. If I didn't send support for her and our baby, they would be in dire straits. Life is difficult there right now and the economy is horrible.

You might as well plan on living on your savings unless you learn Spanish and have a job lined up from the US. I am not trying to crush dreams, but I won't sugar coat the truth. I am 26 with dreams but I have explored the possibilities and realized that the time is not now. Attacking other members who are trying to help you in their own way is not going to gain you anything but more sarcasm and ridicule. Visit: Ask questions: Listen: Observe= Answer
dale7(Howard)

Status
Not open for further replies.