IDB open to funding construction of two maternity hospitals in Haiti

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Haitianas-parturientas-2-Listin-Diario-e1614956682247.png

President Luis Abinader announced that the Interamerican Development Bank (IDB) is open to financing the construction and operation of two maternity hospitals in Haiti. The locations are yet to be announced.

Years back, the European Union had offered to finance a similar hospital for Haiti, but the project did not materialize for lack of support from the Haitian governments. Over the years, hundreds of thousands of Haitians cross the border to seek medical attention at Dominican public hospitals and receive this for free or very low cost. Haitians enter on market days and then pay people smugglers to get them to the cities for medical care.

Speaking from the Presidential Palace on 16 September 2022 upon his return from meetings in Washington, DC, President Luis Abinader announced that the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) will finance the construction...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
"Years back, the European Union had offered to finance a similar hospital for Haiti, but the project did not materialize for lack of support from the Haitian governments." Why on earth would the Haitian government fail to support such an obviously important project when it is free? Were there impossoble terms attached, I wonder?

To build these hospitals now will be very difficult under the current lawless conditions - especially near the capital.

Reactions: JD Jones

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
"Years back, the European Union had offered to finance a similar hospital for Haiti, but the project did not materialize for lack of support from the Haitian governments." Why on earth would the Haitian government fail to support such an obviously important project when it is free? Were there impossoble terms attached, I wonder?

To build these hospitals now will be very difficult under the current lawless conditions - especially near the capital.
I have no clue why, but I would suspect that they could not agree on the amount of the graft. It would not be the first time a business either failed or failed to start up because of the corrupt government.