If I have been vaccinated, do I need to be tested in order to travel?

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
PCR-Test-MainStreet-Family-Urgent-Care-e1610111766915.jpg

The short answer is yes, you do. Reporters who questioned staff at the Las Americas International Airport (SDQ) were told that those vaccinated who travel to the United States need to present a antigen test. Those traveling to Canada and select countries in Europe need to show a PCR test. Both need to have been taken within 72 hours.

This is because the United Stated does not recognize the Sinovac vaccine, since the US Center for Disease Control (CDC) has not authorized it. The situation is the same for Europe that continues to require the PCR test.

Over the weekend, the US CDC issued new guidelines for vaccinated travelers.

The National Vaccination Plan is proceeding at a good pace in the Dominican Republic, now with the application of the second dose. Nevertheless, most Dominicans are expected to be vaccinated with the Chinese Sinovac/Coronavac...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I do not think it's because of the Sinovac..... not approved
I don't think they have even applied for approval !

The USA is not accepting ANY vaccine passports at this time
Tests only

Too early to say right now

Reactions: windeguy and cavok

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
It's also important to know that it is not required that the test be done within 72 hours of your flight or check-in. It is 3 days.

This is important especially if you have a flight that leaves later in the day or night and you are doing the test three days before, in the morning.

72 hours is referenced often in these articles, but it is not correct. You can find the correct interpretation of the regulation on the CDC web site.

"Why does the Order specify 3 days rather than 72 hours? What is considered 3 days?

"The 3-day period is the 3 days before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 3-day timeframe instead of 72 hours to provide more flexibility to the traveler. By using a 3-day window, test validity does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test was administered.

"For example, if a passenger’s flight is at 1pm on a Friday, the passenger could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Tuesday or after."

Reactions: SKY and cavok

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Vaccine or no vaccine you will be required to provide a negative test result for the rest of your life.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I expect that will be the case....
Some activities will require vaccination
Hard to say which yet...... Likely crowds... as in events
Cruise ships are almost certain to require vaccines (and perhaps also tests) because of the long time people are on cruises and keep their liability down.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Cruise ships are almost certain to require vaccines (and perhaps also tests) because of the long time people are on cruises and keep their liability down.
Several cruise lines have already announced the need for the vaccine in order to travel with them:
Virgin Voyages
Crystal Cruises
Royal Caribbean
and others

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
72 hrs or not, just do the express RT-PCR test at Referencia and you get the result in a few hrs. I did it yesterday and had the result in the afternoon. Certain countries may not pay attention to CDS's regulations simply because CDC have nothing to do with it.