If you can’t beat them, join them; transporters sign agreement with Uber

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Taxista-y-Uber-acuerdo-El-Caribe-1024x684.jpg

Tourism Minister David Collado is hopeful the most recent agreement signed with taxi stakeholders will resolve the taxi transport crisis in the Punta Cana tourist area. The agreement was signed in a meeting at the J W Marriott hotel in Santo Domingo in the presence of the director of the National Transit and Land Transport Institute (Intrant), Rafael Arias, the president and executive director of the National Hotel & Tourism Association (Asonahores), Rafael Blanco Tejera, and Sylvia Alvarado, director of public policies for the Caribbean and Central America for Uber and representatives of traditional taxi associations operating in the Punta Cana Area.

Asonahores president, Blanco Tejera said that the winner is tourism and Dominican Republic.

On behalf of Uber, Sylvia Alvarado stated: “What is important for us is that the country advance, that the tourists find a...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Grampa

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Since this benefits only Uber, how will this work out?

Actually, it would benefit consumers, but taxi mafias don't see it that way.

How are the taxis going to compete if UBER charges only 1/3rd of what taxis charge?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It reads like the Taxistas can opt in (or out) of the Uber platform.... as they wish

The prime benefit is to the visitor..... no more getting dragged out of their Uber

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
At least everyone understood the poor visual being offered when a visitor needed to walk outside the terminal to get Uber

Gives the taxistas a black eye..... a well deserved one !!

Reactions: thompstr

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Not trying to throw shade but this won't work unless the unions lower their fees.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think where this all went south for the taxis was when they yanked the tourists out of the Uber.

The gov't doesn't like that..... I bet they were whipped into accepting the deal and told to 'cool down'
In no uncertain terms.........

Truly- that's a disgraceful way to treat a potential client......

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
So the north coast taxis will rebel?
It's a matter of time, why do think they will be ok paying Uber a cut of a fee that is already less of what they independently charge.
Wait to see what is going to happen next.

JJ

Reactions: jd426

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If Uber is allowed to service tourist areas, the taxistas can do what they want....

Competition will prevail..... the customers will now have a voice

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Like Others, I just couldn't understand the business model of Uber and simply chalked it up to another scheme devised by big money "to revolutionize" the transportation sector while bilking investors and drivers...... great stuff by Hubert Horan that provides a TON of context and background

https://horanaviation.com/publications-uber
Uber and Lyft are responsible for the bankruptcy of thousands Taxi Companies in the US.

My company is an example, I lost my investment.

JJ

DBL J

Sin bin
May 18, 2021
States
Sorry to hear that....... it is a shame how propaganda and borderline fraud can spread like wildfire ....... Theranos, WeWork, Uber, Lyft, Tesla, Blue Apron, Freshly.....

Reactions: bachata
Feb 7, 2007
Actually it's not as one would think. Taxi Unions don't want to take rides for low Uber rates, they want Uber to raise rates to their union level.

"It is like giving the platform to the taxi unionists of this country. More confusion, more problematic," he said.

Another of the demands that tourist taxi drivers pose is regarding the rate, in which they ask Uber drivers to have the prices of services like these, added Vega in the program that Anibelca Rosario, Hansel García, Marisol Mendoza and Dary Terrero drive. .

"What do the tourist taxi drivers propose, we are going to adhere to the platform, but prior to that the platforms have to level the rate they use, that is, put it at the level of us to start creating inequality with the user" , he pointed out.

Reactions: bachata

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Actually it's not as one would think. Taxi Unions don't want to take rides for low Uber rates, they want Uber to raise rates to their union level.

"It is like giving the platform to the taxi unionists of this country. More confusion, more problematic," he said.

Another of the demands that tourist taxi drivers pose is regarding the rate, in which they ask Uber drivers to have the prices of services like these, added Vega in the program that Anibelca Rosario, Hansel García, Marisol Mendoza and Dary Terrero drive. .

"What do the tourist taxi drivers propose, we are going to adhere to the platform, but prior to that the platforms have to level the rate they use, that is, put it at the level of us to start creating inequality with the user" , he pointed out.
I said that was coming.

Let's see!

JJ

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I am already encountering UBER drivers who will inform me they cannot offer the service I need at the price UBER specifies when I solicit a ride, and ask for a higher fare.
If I don't agree, they tell me to cancel or they just leave the trip hanging.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
The way I see it, taxis only want to sit on their hands half the day, get 2 or 3 fares at high prices and call it a day.

Uber drivers have to drive around all day to make it worthwhile.

No way I am taking taxis in the DR, even if uber were to disappear..... Back to clogging up traffic with my gas-guzzler when I have stuff to do in SD or Santiago .

Reactions: bienamor