If you had to choose to move to the DR again but at this point in time, would you?

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Ask yourself this: if you were living in the US right now, would you move to the US right now?

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
I lived in SD, La Vega, and then sometimes in RSJ. If I ever Would move back to RD (I don't think so since we love Tenerife) it would be Constanza.

We spend our time 40:30:30 - Punta Cana:Tenerife:USA ...Punta Cana feels like Tenerife did 20 years ago with more or less the same issues Tenerife had back in the late 90s ealrly 00s . Choosing to move to DR ( Punta Cana) at this point of time would not be an issue because PC seems to be moving in the right direction . Our daughter says Tenerife is what Punta Cana wants to be ( or should be) like when it grows up.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
I wouldnt, but crime is not the reason.

Since I had a baby 2 years ago I realized that living in DR is a poor choice family wise, most people in DR are uneducated and raising a child in this country doesn't seem the best.

I think DR is a logical choice when you want to enjoy the beauty that has to offer this country and when you are either goos to go economically or working at home like I do. I think moving here to either make money or trying to save money is a poor choice, but that's my view,other's will say the total opposite hehe

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
You are a white Hispanic. You would hate living in the states. I say that as a compliment.

Ummm... No I'm not. Honorary maybe. I've just lived here for a whole lotta years. But thanks for the complement.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I think I would, although not Santo Domingo. Don't get me wrong living in Santo Domingo has its advantages but after all the years here the allure for me is not there anymore. Probably would go to either the Punta Cana area or LT area. Less congestion traffic wise and more of a relaxing atmosphere.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I wouldnt, but crime is not the reason.

Since I had a baby 2 years ago I realized that living in DR is a poor choice family wise, most people in DR are uneducated and raising a child in this country doesn't seem the best.

I think DR is a logical choice when you want to enjoy the beauty that has to offer this country and when you are either goos to go economically or working at home like I do. I think moving here to either make money or trying to save money is a poor choice, but that's my view,other's will say the total opposite hehe

I agree with you about the kids. I always tell people that I wouldn't be living here if I had children. I think the education system may be ok until they hit 12 years old and then it just isn't adequate. Home schooling would probably be a better option.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Personally I have always lived in SD and I think it's safer and better now than it ever has been. Uber works really well, which adds to safety a lot - the cab drops you right outside where you are going, so little chance of being attacked. There are a lot of services which make life easier, like DeliveryRD which is a take-out / supermarket / alcohol delivery service which works really well. There are some very good shops, good restaurants, it's easy to get things done. And I think the police and the AMETs are now a little less corrupt than before. I have travelled around and stayed in most parts of the island and I just think it would be really frustrating to be limited to one or two supermarkets, very few services, constant problems with electricity and being told that everything you need to get done involves a trip to the capital.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Personally I have always lived in SD and I think it's safer and better now than it ever has been. Uber works really well, which adds to safety a lot - the cab drops you right outside where you are going, so little chance of being attacked. There are a lot of services which make life easier, like DeliveryRD which is a take-out / supermarket / alcohol delivery service which works really well. There are some very good shops, good restaurants, it's easy to get things done. And I think the police and the AMETs are now a little less corrupt than before. I have travelled around and stayed in most parts of the island and I just think it would be really frustrating to be limited to one or two supermarkets, very few services, constant problems with electricity and being told that everything you need to get done involves a trip to the capital.
All the points you bring are true and I always lived in SD also but you are not saying the negative part over the past few years.

- Construction everywhere in the city, all small streets downtown completely destroyed, insane amount of noise everywhere downtown almost.
- more tapones then ever, i cant even imagine the nightmare its gonna be in 5 years with all the recent construction
- I feel like even if there's less crime, the average Dominican living in this city is way more "savage" then before. I feel like myself I am a bit more stressed then before living here, and I dont even have to do 2 hrs of tapon everyday to go to work.
- I think cost of living has go up quite a bit over vs 5 years ago, if you want a house goood luck, apartment you are fine as there's so many available that its a buyer market, you can literally lowball every offer and one will end up saying yes because otherwise there apartment will be empty for 6months
- Electricity is not true, even if its better... i live in Naco/piantini and there's still a lot of outages. Except punta cana there isnt a spot that its really 24/7

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I like the occasional necessary visit to the capital. But for all the advantageous benefits of living there, the horrendous traffic overwhelms. I would move back to the states before relocating to the capital.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Lived in Cristo Rey and on the eastside in Villa Faro
near Charlie and Mendoza. I'll take either one over the states.

Asan

Apr 4, 2018
I was borne and raised in Santo Domingo from a upper middle class Family and I have to say that after living and working in the US for the past 7 years there is a better future in the US for my children. I have seen the lowering of the standard of living when comparing tree generations of my family. Right now Its cheaper for my to have my kids in private schools in the US than DR. I would love to go back because I love my country but I can't.

user123

Aug 16, 2017
Been living in Sosua for 9 years and I don't find that crime has increased. In fact it may have decreased. Less kids on the streets. I don't think there has been a gringo murdered here in quite a while....perhaps 3 years or so.

About 20 days ago a gringo was murdered in Sosua, in Club Residencial.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I was borne and raised in Santo Domingo from a upper middle class Family and I have to say that after living and working in the US for the past 7 years there is a better future in the US for my children. I have seen the lowering of the standard of living when comparing tree generations of my family. Right now Its cheaper for my to have my kids in private schools in the US than DR. I would love to go back because I love my country but I can't.

Yes, unfortunately the greed and coruption that is so prevalent in the Dominican Republic, at all levels, is the main source for the problems in education, crime, lack of potable water, and pollution of the streets and waters. We have many new kids in our school this year that have come from the public system. Lots of kids in Grade two to four that barely know how to read or do simple arithmetic. The biggest changes I have noticed in the 20 plus years I have been coming to the DR and living here fulltime for the past six are increased traffic ( there are way more cars and motorcucles on the roads), increased rudeness in general, and open selling of drugs ( and generally more acceptance of drugs). On the positive the medical system seems more responsive ( good amulance system here in Jarabacoa) and the private clinics are beter equiped. If I was going to move here again the only thing I would change would be to take extensive Spanish classes first. The other thing I would have done is bought up a few lots here in Jarabacoa when they were cheap. Now they are extreemly expensive.

user123

Aug 16, 2017
A man was killed in an embassy recently....
Murders are commonplace these days - unfortunately.

The incidence the factor/consideration

He said "I don't think there has been a gringo murdered here in quite a while....perhaps 3 years or so", and the fact is a gringo was murdered in Sosua about 20 days ago. If you wanna post info so others can see it then make sure your info is correct.

Bundel2014

Feb 11, 2017
Seamonkey,you are fyll of it,or just plain stupid,i think both.Crime in Sosua is on the rise and has been over the last 5 years,street kids everywhere.As for gringos getting killed,several over the last 3 three years.I live in Jarabacoa,love it,Sosua,you can keep.i have fotos,black and white of Sosua in 1989,beautiful,miss that place.