IKEA Dominicana

Have you shopped at IKEA Dominican Republic?

• No, but I have been to the main store and am open to the possibility.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
BTW , anyone else found that IKEA office furniture deteriorate quicker in RD ?
Not at all‼️
I have two rock solid desks from them.
One for day to day work.
The other for computer work.
Both made out of wood.
And my day to day work desk has survived two moves.
And we all know moves are hard on furniture.
I also I have a locking file cabinet.
It too has been thru two moves.
Still going strong today.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hmmm🤔🤔🤔....

We were fans until COVID. The PC branch had many issues last year ...probably due to logistics and poor management....We experienced the same issues discussed here :

Our business is now with a good Dominican furniture factory.....you give them your spec ....negotiate the price ...and you could bag yourself custom made furniture ...way stronger than IKEA ....and if you are nice with your dinero.💵..they will “customize” your IKEA furniture to last longer ...by replacing the “recycled wood chips fused together with resin glue” ....on some IKEA furniture.....with real wood. Viva RD !🇩🇴

BTW , anyone else found that IKEA office furniture deteriorate quicker in RD ?
Due to dominican floor washing technique. Apply as much water as possible, push the water everywhere with a brown, sweep most of the water out the door, repeat to rinse, then use a mop to get rid of the running water.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Due to dominican floor washing technique. Apply as much water as possible, push the water everywhere with a brown, sweep most of the water out the door, repeat to rinse, then use a mop to get rid of the running water.
Using your hands to wring out the mop. Who needs that mop bucket anyway?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I love Ikea. But only go once a year. Come back with seats folded down, car on its axles and a severe dent in my bank card.

It makes my gun licence renewal more bearable as that was my only reason to visit that God forsaken capital.

And as Ourmaninvegas says, "Albondigas baby!" With the lingonberry sauce, gravy and French fries!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Don't forget the quart of cloro per bucket of water as well. It adds a nice tie-dye effect to the bottom of your curtains!

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Tried to use their service called Click and Collect, that according to their site suppose to work like this: you buy online, they send you an email when your order is ready to pick up, you go to a store and pick it up during next three days, because they can't hold it longer for you. So theoretically it's good for small items to avoid crowds and long lines at the cashier.

But in reality, it was a total mess. I paid online, next day got the message that my order is ready for pick up. Went to the store, got the ticket to Click and Collect customer service. After 15 mins of waiting for my turn and then 10 mins waiting for the imbecil at the computer looking for my order, I found out that my order is not ready and I have to come tomorrow.

Next day drove to the store again. 15 minutes of waiting in line, then 10 minutes to print my factura (why the hell I need it? I have it printed at home with my order info). Then.... surprise, go to another line to pick it up. The same line with people who just bought something in the store. No separate line for Click and Collect, so I had to wait about 30 mins in the line full of coughing and sneezing people with they kids screaming and crying, some kids with no masks, who cares.... Then I went to the customer service again, asked why so long.... well, the answer is that they have to find my items in a store and bring them down here, nothing is ready for pick up so it could take an hour..... WTF, I could go upstairs, take them and pay at the cashier in 10 minutes, so this Click and Collect service is totally useless and just a waste of time.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I am going to Ikea soon in SD. I like contemporary stuff and I haven't seen anything like it here, that weren't prohibitively expensive in that style.

I won't go for furniture but for home goods : Kitchen items, rugs, lamps and deco (will probably end up buying towels and bed sheets)

Love Ikea !
I did a lot of shopping at Ikea in the late 90's and at that point in time a lot of their wood products were well worth the prices I paid.

I think with the Founder's recent passing their business model is definitely less about quality and more about quantity... a lot more about quantity.

Reactions: Africaida

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
I bought a lot of furniture from them in 2013 for a large three bedroom apartment. Five years later everything that had chrome legs (chairs and dinner table) was totally deteriorated, rust went thru chrome everywhere. One queen side bed is still like new, but it was the most expensive model in white leather, and they don't make them anymore. Some wood furniture is still like new too, MALM line of furniture is still good, some white laminated MDF furniture is yellowed but not delaminated, some cheaper MDF office furniture is delaminated badly, some bathroom furniture was a total crap and delaminated in 1 year, bathroom mirrors got rust thru the reflective layer and had to be replaced... two big living room mirrors are still good..... so I'd say it's 50/50. Some products are crappy quality and some are good, so inspect carefully before you buy.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
All metal - when living here - will deteriorate....

Be it chromed, painted, whatever....
I have had little success w/ any of it.
Just a matter of 'When' ......

I have some tables with 1"-1,25" metal legs & supports
Had them rebuilt here and painted again..... and , most likely, will do it again

This type of thing..... easy to refabricate here.

1613425271098.png

Reactions: Auryn

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo

Had them rebuilt here and painted again..... and , most likely, will do it again

Re-paint metal parts is easy, I do it myself. Upholstery can be changed too, I got all my office chairs and a couch re-upholstered here in black vinyl and I'm very happy with the results. Some delaminated parts of bathroom furniture can be fabricated from waterproof MDF and painted in some local shops. But chrome is a different story, it's easier to buy a new chair or table again. With IKEA, in some cases if they still have the same item, you can buy just the lower chromed metal parts again and keep your table top or a chair seat if it's still good.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

View attachment 4122
You live close to the ocean. I wouldn't have the same problem in Jarabacoa.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
ut in reality, it was a total mess. I paid online, next day got the message that my order is ready for pick up. Went to the store, got the ticket to Click and Collect customer service. After 15 mins of waiting for my turn and then 10 mins waiting for the imbecil at the computer looking for my order, I found out that my order is not ready and I have to come tomorrow.

Next day drove to the store again. 15 minutes of waiting in line, then 10 minutes to print my factura (why the hell I need it? I have it printed at home with my order info). Then.... surprise, go to another line to pick it up. The same line with people who just bought something in the store. No separate line for Click and Collect, so I had to wait about 30 mins in the line full of coughing and sneezing people with they kids screaming and crying, some kids with no masks, who cares.... Then I went to the customer service again, asked why so long.... well, the answer is that they have to find my items in a store and bring them down here, nothing is ready for pick up so it could take an hour..... WTF, I could go upstairs, take them and pay at the cashier in 10 minutes, so this Click and Collect service is totally useless and just a waste of time.

☝️

This reality in the DR, not just IKEA, but you did painted the exact conditions of what takes place to purchase and pick up an item at IKEA, I've obseved the same thing happening to a dear friend of mine.

Let me see how and what thick brush is used to try and fade this away?

I've shop furniture in IKEA in Europe, total garbage as far as material; never again. Have visited IKEA in JFK and made some small purchases in the past. Not a fan of the store at all.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I have never had a problem with just going to the store and picking out what I wanted.
Paying for it.
Picking it up.
Taking it home.
Visited IKEAs all over the world.
And in the entire time of purchasing from IKEA (quite a number of years) I have NEVER had a purchase have a problem with parts or assembly.
Big fan of IKEA ‼️
And it is not even on...
EAST SIDE ‼️

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Yes, I am away from the ocean (not ON the shoreline)... but we do get salty air.

The people on the shoreline lose their TV's etc FAST !!
The villa I worked on in Orchid Bay went through outdoor gas water heaters almost yearly even with the maint. guy hosing it down with water every week.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The ocean is brutal...... eats everything in sight.....

I am up 100M and back 1/4-1/2 mile....... still problems but much less than friends below on the coastline.
Add to that the incessant noise from pounding waves..... I find it hard to sleep with that
Others can't sleep without it.......

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I did a lot of shopping at Ikea in the late 90's and at that point in time a lot of their wood products were well worth the prices I paid.

I think with the Founder's recent passing their business model is definitely less about quality and more about quantity... a lot more about quantity.

Agree with you.

I have a dining table from Ikea which has 10+ years. Someone had returned it and the sales guy wanted my phone number, so I had a great price. I changed the chairs a couple of times (non-Ikea).

Other stuff, you get what you pay for. I have a nice corner sofa, I changed the legs and bought new cushion covers, almost the price of the original sofa, but then when I get tired of it, I will just changed it up or buy a cheap new one and "pimp" it.

The things that don't stand the test of time are perfectly fine with me, I get tired of things quickly, and change my decor every couple of years or so, so Ikea is perfect for someone with furniture ADHD like me.

In DR, with the possibility of the artisans replicating for a reasonable price (I tried state side, crazy prices !), it s less of a use. I am working on terrace furniture made right now. A dream !