IKEA Dominicana

Have you shopped at IKEA Dominican Republic?

• No, but I have been to the main store and am open to the possibility.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
As a Swedish national, I can just say that for me IKEA is such a magical place. When I step through the door I feel like home, except nobody is able to say the different product names they have 😅😅.
Haven't bought that many things though, I usually just buy a lot in the Swedish supermarket section. It's just very expensive in comparison to what it cost in Sweden. In Sweden although basically everyone buys their furniture from there, it's with a bit of "shame", because it's not considered premium. The quality is okey, but it's mostly for "regular" worker families. But here among Dominicans it's very exotic. So the price but also the fact that I live on the north coast makes it not so easy to go there and just pick stuff up. Haven't been there since June 2019... And currently no plans on going there soon.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
The way I see it, back in europe, is that until recently, you either had expensive furniture shops or you had Ikea.

Here in the DR you can get massive wooden furniture carved out of slabs for a fraction of the price back home, by a local artisan.

I can't say I was a fan of those massive wooden tables, chairs, chest of draws, etc.... But it kind of has grown on me.

Also the upside is the the bloody things are bullet proof--- literally.
Try taking cover behind an Ikea table or wardrobe....🤔🤔🤔

Reactions: Russell and Auryn

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Also the upside is the the bloody things are bullet proof--- literally.
Try taking cover behind an Ikea table or wardrobe....🤔🤔🤔
The tactically minded among us know that in a firefight ducking behind a table or wardrobe from IKEA would be considered concealment not cover.🔫
Better than nothing.
But not very helpful if the choppers come out and the opposition is spraying from a 30 round mag.
Better pop smoke and stay on the move like in an action movie.
But IKEA furniture used for its proper purposes serves my needs fine.
In Sweden although basically everyone buys their furniture from there, it's with a bit of "shame", because it's not considered premium. The quality is okey, but it's mostly for "regular" worker families.
Yes, been there.
Really enjoyed myself.
But when the price of homes (at the time I visited and are most likely much more expensive now) that were considered for low income families...
I knew right then and there since all my life I been poor...
I was in the wrong country.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Buying furniture and then having to put it together is not for me...............

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Cheapest junk can be found

They're good at marketing, not building furniture or home goods. Ikea stuff has a Planned Obsolescence built into them. It falls apart and you still go back and buy more. Their particle board and cutesy fasteners are a joke. That's not how you build real furniture.

I have a couple pieces of furniture that are over 300 years old. Still useable. Try that with ikea.

Reactions: Russell and Radical

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
They're good at marketing, not building furniture or home goods. Ikea stuff has a Planned Obsolescence built into them. It falls apart and you still go back and buy more. Their particle board and cutesy fasteners are a joke. That's not how you build real furniture.

I have a couple pieces of furniture that are over 300 years old. Still useable. Try that with ikea.

Yeah, no gracias, some of us don't want our great-grands-parent's oversize furniture, Though I appreciate the craftmanship. Sadly, in most countries, such craftmanship was lost and/or is too expensive.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Yeah, no gracias, some of us don't want our great-grands-parent's oversize furniture, Though I appreciate the craftmanship. Sadly, in most countries, such craftmanship was lost and/or is too expensive.
My mom still has the same bedroom furniture that her and my dad bought when they got married in 1952 and it still looks great. I doubt you would get those years out of anything from IKEA.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
even reinforce where needed for a reasonable fee.
This is exactly what I do after buying another stuff from Ikea, I go to a hardware store and buy some real metal hardware to reinforce Ikea stuff and fix it permanently to the wall/floor so it will not bend, crack, delaminate or whatever. Sometimes some glue is needed too.

Reactions: Africaida

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
My mom still has the same bedroom furniture that her and my dad bought when they got married in 1952 and it still looks great. I doubt you would get those years out of anything from IKEA.
Who but who wants to do dat ❓
Be your own person‼️
Hand me downs are just old unless they are a cast iron skillet you can cook with like I got from my grandmother.
Wish I could cook like her.
Is there an IKEA in Colombia 🇨🇴 bro❓

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I think they have specials.
But I do not know how it translates from Swedish into Spanish.
But it does quite well.
I recommend the albondigas.
Known to the rest of the world as meatballs.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Who but who wants to do dat ❓
Be your own person‼️
Hand me downs are just old unless they are a cast iron skillet you can cook with like I got from my grandmother.
Wish I could cook like her.
Is there an IKEA in Colombia 🇨🇴 bro❓
Who but who wants to do dat ❓??? Wants to do what??? If you mean use good furniture for many years, evidently my mom and many of her generation put value in things they purchased, especially when the quality was as good as what they bought.
Be your own person‼️ ??? You don't know me from Adam so don't make the foolish mistake of pretending like you do. I left home as a teenager when I entered the army and have been my "own person" ever since.
My mom is still alive and has / uses her furniture. If, one day assuming she passes before me would be honored to have the furniture I knew as a kid that they used all those years.
No idea "bro" if there is a IKEA here in Colombia as I rent furnished apartments via air bnb but I'm sure you could easily find out on line if you are so inclined.

Reactions: Russell

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Who but who wants to do dat ❓??? Wants to do what??? If you mean use good furniture for many years, evidently my mom and many of her generation put value in things they purchased, especially when the quality was as good as what they bought.
Be your own person‼️ ??? You don't know me from Adam so don't make the foolish mistake of pretending like you do. I left home as a teenager when I entered the army and have been my "own person" ever since.
My mom is still alive and has / uses her furniture. If, one day assuming she passes before me would be honored to have the furniture I knew as a kid that they used all those years.
No idea "bro" if there is a IKEA here in Colombia as I rent furnished apartments via air bnb but I'm sure you could easily find out on line if you are so inclined.
Thank you for your answer and your advice.
Glad everything is working out for you.
I have had no problem with some furniture from IKEA.
Some of it is made out of real wood.
If I do not move for 30 years I do not see why I would not be able to pass it on.
But why would I want to❓
The furniture I received from my Mother when she died I helped her buy.
She wanted a different look.
Different ways of living for different folks.
Do you know IKEA has excellent soft goods ❓
They do not last for years but they dry my *** real good "bro"‼️
I am posting from EAST SIDE.
Where you posting from❓