IKEA selling out?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Oh! They do care about them! They would never stop paying importance to that 0.01% of their client base!

especially when it is they who do the spending, while the bulk of the remainder does the window shopping, and buys an ash tray and a paperweight.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
especially when it is they who do the spending, while the bulk of the remainder does the window shopping, and buys an ash tray and a paperweight.

Sure! The DR biz is supported by the fat wallets of the expat community's spending!

LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!

Keep supporting your local colmadon and those "bars" in Sosua! LOL!!! LOL!!!

*This just reminded me of the post from another DR1 member that stated the Jumbos and La Sirenas were being "supported" by their "largely" foreign clients in the DR! That all they could see for clients were foreigners above that of Dominicans in the supermarkets, malls and overall biz!! LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!!!!!

What a trip!! LOL!!!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
an importune from PICHARDO

Keep supporting your local colmadon and those "bars" in Sosua! LOL!!! LOL!!!

Not my style, bro. bars in Sosua will not be getting any of my money, any time soon.

Dec 26, 2011
Oh! They do care about them! They would never stop paying importance to that 0.01% of their client base!

0.01%?...Oh, you have a flair for the dramatic, sir. Of course you have documentation to support that number that you've so deftly pulled out of the beautiful blue sky.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I recently ordered some items from IKEA for an expat who did not speak Spanish. I eventually ordered them online using their chat function as the telephone service did not work for some reason. You can see my experience here.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/123104-my-experience-ordering-ikea.html

When I spoke to Anabel she said nearly half of the people who tried to chat did not speak Spanish and that is why she has to learn English. Nearly half sounds a little more than 0.01% if my maths is not letting me down.

And interestingly, the man who has the IKEA franchise here, (it is a franchise operation), Anders Alm has a house in Punta Cana, so maybe that is why they are opening there, LOL!

Matilda.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
So when is the big sale? is it just the typical sale or is there some good discounts to be had?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I recently ordered some items from IKEA for an expat who did not speak Spanish. I eventually ordered them online using their chat function as the telephone service did not work for some reason. You can see my experience here.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/123104-my-experience-ordering-ikea.html

When I spoke to Anabel she said nearly half of the people who tried to chat did not speak Spanish and that is why she has to learn English. Nearly half sounds a little more than 0.01% if my maths is not letting me down.

And interestingly, the man who has the IKEA franchise here, (it is a franchise operation), Anders Alm has a house in Punta Cana, so maybe that is why they are opening there, LOL!

Matilda.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The only foreigners that carry this country on their shoulders are the Corripios, Cuestas, Ramos and Viccinis. And they are more Dominican than Pichardo. Most 'expats' here are a bunch of ........'s who should wish they had the purchasing power of the average middle class Dominican.

And for your information: the middle class doesn't look up to us. They already know most are not the summum of the American or European society and look to many of us with 'pena' or even disgust.

The Dominican republic does not need you and the new migration policy shows that.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008

I doubt the foreign resident/tourist market for IKEA is just 0.01% of their sales. Maybe not 50% either. But in Punta Cana surely it would be at least 50%.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I doubt the foreign resident/tourist market for IKEA is just 0.01% of their sales. Maybe not 50% either. But in Punta Cana surely it would be at least 50%.

The ninth largest economy in Latin America (DR) gets the first IKEA. All reportable statistics just dont add up to such a move, however tourism and foreign investment are a significant part of the economy, yet as quoted by Pichardo, only equates to .01%. Hmmm!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The ninth largest economy in Latin America (DR) gets the first IKEA. All reportable statistics just dont add up to such a move, however tourism and foreign investment are a significant part of the economy, yet as quoted by Pichardo, only equates to .01%. Hmmm!

he arrived at that number by factoring in his quintile theory.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Whatever it is it puts the DR ahead of all Latin America in terms of purchasing furniture-non electric that is-still have not solved that problem

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Whatever it is it puts the DR ahead of all Latin America in terms of purchasing furniture-non electric that is-still have not solved that problem

that is not an accurate correlation. maybe the analysis shows that Dominicans are more likely to buy this type of furniture. another type of furniture manufacturer , at a different retail price point, might have gone to somewhere else, instead.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
that is not an accurate correlation. maybe the analysis shows that Dominicans are more likely to buy this type of furniture. another type of furniture manufacturer , at a different retail price point, might have gone to somewhere else, instead.

I agree, i believe its the fact that most of furniture you have to build yourself at home. People that cannot even carry two plastics bags from the grocer to the car, love to build their own furniture. What happens when the new immigration rules take effect therefore deporting many handy-Haitians- who will build the furniture for them then?