IKEA selling out?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
DR may be a small economy, it's politically stable, economically consistent, has a growing middle class and is an island where (imported) furniture is very expensive and local furniture is ugly.

Business and population is all concentrated in one city, easier to manage for promotions, the impact the arrival of a store like Ikea is a lot greater than in for example Brasil, population is more Americanized than most other Latin American countries. The perfect place to test the concept to the Latin American customer. Probably not the place where they will profit most but, if it was only for the small customer base and the limits in roll-out countrywide (they solved that smart with their choose and pick locations). If I would be looking for a job, Ikea would be on the top of my list, this people have Vision.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
163359_462565113769917_944852569_n.jpg

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Santo Domingo.- The Dominican Republic is projected to become a developed country with a gross domestic product (GDP) per capita of more than US$12,300 as soon as 2025.

According to Maurizio Bussolo, head of the World Bank Group’s Economic Development Centre, the jump would be made possible based on how the country keeps pace with the steady growth of recent years. A vibrant growth held stable for several years or decades are the essentials for a balanced development.

Once the Dominican Republic implement all necessary plans to maintain the growth it has shown thus far, it would enter the base tier of the developed countries.

"This can be done, what happens is that you need to have some patience" said Bussolo.

Bussolo said GDP per capita in developed countries starts at US$12,300, following major investment in infrastructure and the private sector.
The Dominican economy has grown at a rate of more than 3.5% in the last six years alone.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Strong exports helped the <st1:country-region style="color: rgb(102, 102, 102); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; text-align: justify; "><st1:pDominican Republic's economy to grow 4.5 percent last year. The country's exports rose 29 percent, while imports increased 13.6 percent. To what extent have government policies, such as preferential tax treatments, aided the economy? Which sectors of the economy are especially ripe for growth? What more should the government do to boost businesses, and what obstacles stand in the way?

When your exports grow at twice the rate of imports, that's a very strong element to indicate where your economy is heading!

Barrick Gold mine will start exporting at the end of this year, although the taxes that it will pay will be small until investors recuperate their investment, which will take three or four years. The ferronickel plant, which was closed, is back in operation and should reach capacity this year. Despite the international situation, the government has maintained macroeconomic stability with a devaluation of only 3 percent to 4 percent and inflation at less than 8 percent.

All positive indicators!

The <st1:country-region style="color: rgb(102, 102, 102); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; text-align: justify; "><st1:pDominican Republic's real <st1:stockticker style="color: rgb(102, 102, 102); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; text-align: justify; ">GDP </st1:stockticker>growth is estimated to have moderated to 4.5 percent in 2011. This relatively high growth trend reflects the country's resilient economy, its diversified export base, robust domestic demand and the expectation of relatively stable macroeconomic fundamentals. In addition, nontraditional exports benefited from weaker competition from <st1:pAsia and stronger <st1:country-region style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; text-align: justify; "><st1:pU.S. demand. Increasing diversification by both market (exports to <st1:pCentral America expanded significantly) and subsector (exports of footwear, textiles, jewelry and medical products have increased) has made the export sector more resilient.

Ditto!

Now add all the above to the mix + developed rating by target of 2025...

Now it becomes clear!
</st1</st1</st1:country-region></st1</st1</st1:country-region></st1</st1:country-region>

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
9,999 of every 10,000 purchases at IKEA SD are by Dominican nationals? Astounding figure. Unbelievable, even.

Do you know how many foreign(non Haitians) residents are in the DR compare to our native Dominican population? How many of them (foreigners) are the adults and not kids or underage?

The number of foreigners making purchases in DR biz is insignificant when compared to that of nationals!

Maybe giving it 0.01% was too much from my part!!

Keep to your sosua shopping strip and bars! Of this clearly you're clueless!

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
The only place where foreign people make a sizable input to the DR economics is in the tourism area, where they are the majority in many instances (aside from Haitians of course).

Dec 26, 2011
Do you know how many foreign(non Haitians) residents are in the DR compare to our native Dominican population? How many of them (foreigners) are the adults and not kids or underage?

The number of foreigners making purchases in DR biz is insignificant when compared to that of nationals!

Maybe giving it 0.01% was too much from my part!!

Keep to your sosua shopping strip and bars! Of this clearly you're clueless!

I've never been to those places, sir.

I was in your country for the first time twenty-one years ago. I've been all over it. SD, Villa Mella, San Cristobal, Barahona, Bani, Bayaguana, Hato Mayor, Puerto Plata, Cabarete, Sosua(but not the shopping strip or any bars where you say I hang out), Samana, LT, Nagua, Constanza, Neiba, Galvan, Lago Enriquillo, Juan Dolio, Punta Cana, Veron, etc. And my Spanish is better than your English. And my Dominican is decent too.

I'm surprised that a man such as yourself is so given to making assumptions.

Your
positivity about your country is impressive. Your arrogance, however, is not.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I've never been to those places, sir.

I was in your country for the first time twenty-one years ago. I've been all over it. SD, Villa Mella, San Cristobal, Barahona, Bani, Bayaguana, Hato Mayor, Puerto Plata, Cabarete, Sosua(but not the shopping strip or any bars where you say I hang out), Samana, LT, Nagua, Constanza, Neiba, Galvan, Lago Enriquillo, Juan Dolio, Punta Cana, Veron, etc. And my Spanish is better than your English. And my Dominican is decent too.

I'm surprised that a man such as yourself is so given to making assumptions.

Your
positivity about your country is impressive. Your arrogance, however, is not.

neither is his grasp of facts.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The only place where foreign people make a sizable input to the DR economics is in the tourism area, where they are the majority in many instances (aside from Haitians of course).

Mining, Shopping Centres, Free Zones, Mobile Telephony, Hotels......

Matilda

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Mining, Shopping Centres, Free Zones, Mobile Telephony, Hotels......

Matilda

Matilda, those are direct foreign investors, NOT EXPATS! You're confusing a foreigner that doesn't LIVE or RESIDE in the DR, but invested into some of the above listed and makes money due to it, for him and the DR.

An EXPAT is somebody that relocated to the country to RESIDE here. Of these, maybe at best 5% engage into some type of formal/informal biz (like both Robert DR1 and Robert MotoCaribe) do. The vast majority are retirees/married to DR citizens/loners/etc...

Come back to the matter at the heart of the debate and you'll see where it stands today!

Facts!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Matilda, those are direct foreign investors, NOT EXPATS! You're confusing a foreigner that doesn't LIVE or RESIDE in the DR, but invested into some of the above listed and makes money due to it, for him and the DR.

An EXPAT is somebody that relocated to the country to RESIDE here. Of these, maybe at best 5% engage into some type of formal/informal biz (like both Robert DR1 and Robert MotoCaribe) do. The vast majority are retirees/married to DR citizens/loners/etc...

Come back to the matter at the heart of the debate and you'll see where it stands today!

Facts!

more nonsense from the guy who shovels more sh*t than anyone else in this site. do you think foreign direct investment is run by remote control? the majority of high level personnel in primary sector FDI are expats. they live here, even if only for the duration of their job tenures. the guys who own call centers, many of them Canadians and Americans, live here. the principals of manufacturing sector FDI are also resident here . man, alive!