Illegal immigrants and government actions

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Please go to the Migracion web site and find the overstay fee chart.
After you have given up because that fee schedule is no longer on the Migracion web site, continue reading.
(Note well: Many will correctly point out that the hard copy of the form still exists
in tattered copy form at the airports, after all they have to do something for those who stayed for
years and happen to leave. This is about people that enter now and the new procedures. )

Now that we have settled that the long term exit fees schedule (where one could stay forever and ever) is no longer on the Migracion web site,
please go here to see how you can apply to extend a tourist card to a maximum of 120 days as I just copied below;

SERVICE DESCRIPTION​

Authorize foreigners interested in prolonging their stay in the Dominican Republic for more than 30, through an extension that can be extended up to 120 days.

TO WHOM THIS SERVICE IS INTENDED​

To all foreigners who wish to extend their stay in the Dom. Rep. For more than 30 days established for tourists.

DEPARMENT​

User support section.

CONTACT INFO​

Dirección: Autopista 30 de Mayo, Esquina Héroes De Luperon, Santo Domingo República Dominicana
Teléfono: 809-508-2555 Ext. 5689/7011
Email: info@migracion.gob.do

REQUIREMENTS​

• Copy of the passport page where the biometric data is.
  • Stamp of the date of the last entry to the country.
  • Return boarding pass.

PROCEDURE TO FOLLOW​

1- The user makes the extension request through the web portal and uploads the required documents.
2- The responsible staff receives the application online and debug the documents supplied by the user.
3- The request for extension of stay by the corresponding staff is approved.
4- An email is sent to the user informing about the status of their request.
5- The user makes the payment of stay online or at the airport.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hard to believe? There it is in black and white. Hard to dispute, eh?
I stand corrected.
Hard to believe indeed.
Yes, I looked.
Can't find it anywhere on their site.
Thank you for sharing this information.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I stand corrected.
Hard to believe indeed.
Yes, I looked.
Can't find it anywhere on their site.
Thank you for sharing this information.
Since I read the local news, I find nothing hard to believe about it at all. Just the new government doing, more or less, what they said they would do.
The real question now is when will those tattered copies of the old exit fee schedule at the airports finally be thrown in the trash to never be used again?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
What they MUST do, if they are really going to toughen up on overstayers is make the Residency process more user friendly. It's such a pain that most overstayers I know will just give up and go elsewhere. I know of two who have given up after spending a lot of time and money trying to go through the process. And when I recently applied to change my Residency from Temporary to (so called) Permanent, I had to provide ownership details of my house and car, plus a DR bank reference. Many people just can't do this.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What they MUST do, if they are really going to toughen up on overstayers is make the Residency process more user friendly. It's such a pain that most overstayers I know will just give up and go elsewhere. I know of two who have given up after spending a lot of time and money trying to go through the process. And when I recently applied to change my Residency from Temporary to (so called) Permanent, I had to provide ownership details of my house and car, plus a DR bank reference. Many people just can't do this.
We are not the tails that are going to wag this dog. I don't expect the legal residency process to become significantly easier. I have seen zero to support the concept of making it easier.

Many still say it is easier here than most other places. For those whom you mention, they would have be go to the "easier" places if they
want to be legal. I do hope a 6 month snowbird visa eventually happens.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
120 days is the maximum overstay? Says who? Sounds like BS to me. Post the link.
If they have done away with the overstay fee chart
that has been copied and pasted to the forum dozens of times we would like to
see proof.
thx Windy....

you posted what I posted.... our reader just skimmed over it - I guess

Anyway.... all clear now.....

Big

Apr 24, 2019
yes they will build a special Dominican prison for overstayers that will rival El Salvadorian's worst prisons, or it will stay just like it is, people will be welcomed back with open arms and a rum drink.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We should start a list of all the new implementations this gov't has established.....

it's not a short one........

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I was told to not to worry because I was and am not able to return to Canada to have the Biometrics done. That my temporary visa in my passport will cover me.... Biometrics was the only thing I was missing ...only because it was not on the List provided by the RD Embassy in Ottawa Canada.
So I have hired a Lawyer whom I know for years and is an honest person to take it from here... we'll see, because COVID19 has turned the world upside down.
Will keep you posted.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
yes they will build a special Dominican prison for overstayers that will rival El Salvadorian's worst prisons, or it will stay just like it is, people will be welcomed back with open arms and a rum drink.
Would not existing prisons be sufficiently worthy?

I think so.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
thx Windy....

you posted what I posted.... our reader just skimmed over it - I guess

Anyway.... all clear now.....
One of the best professors I ever had told the class that it took three times to be presented with new information before it was properly learned.
A take off on the expression that "the third time's the charm". There are those here that would take far more repetition since there are exceptions to every rule.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We have a brand new "regularization plan" presented by the DR government to the Venezuelans in the country. They have a month to respond, or else.
How they are going to come up with police reports from Venezuela as part of that regularization is anyone's guess.

There will still be those that think nothing is changing.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Understandably - it's a bitter pill for some to swallow.....

You can lead a horse to water........ but........
You can also beat a dead horse.
What Windeguy said a few posts earlier "When the DR government promises not to enforce the laws as written".
Leaves us with more questions than answers as everything and I do mean everything, is selective enforcement down here.