Illusion versus Reality--Why I moved away from Sosua/Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
I really loved the area but, realty drove me back to AR

1.Traffic conditions in Cabarete are outrageous. No laws are observed, no law is enforced. I feel it was just a matter of time before being involved in a serious accident. 2.The bandit attempted 4 shots at me. The other bandit scared my gf by threatening her with a machete. 3.Miguel, drloca, and Victor--bad things don't follow me. I have led a very ''charmed life'' with countless successes. 4.I feel helpless in trying to change things. 5. Talvez--complaining? no, it is reality. 6. Hifiman--I spent 2.5 years in AR without these problems. 7.For sure, we were targeted in a new Encuetro housing area. 8.I like Sosua but choose not to live there. 9.The hit and run incident--I was standing near the car, got a description and license #. The police wanted to arrest me and obviously were seeking a bribe! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I wish you all the best. There are many in the area that have suffered worse than us.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
1.Traffic conditions in Cabarete are outrageous. No laws are observed, no law is enforced. I feel it was just a matter of time before being involved in a serious accident. 2.The bandit attempted 4 shots at me. The other bandit scared my gf by threatening her with a machete. 3.Miguel, drloca, and Victor--bad things don't follow me. I have led a very ''charmed life'' with countless successes. 4.I feel helpless in trying to change things. 5. Talvez--complaining? no, it is reality. 6. Hifiman--I spent 2.5 years in AR without these problems. 7.For sure, we were targeted in a new Encuetro housing area. 8.I like Sosua but choose not to live there. 9.The hit and run incident--I was standing near the car, got a description and license #. The police wanted to arrest me and obviously were seeking a bribe! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I wish you all the best. There are many in the area that have suffered worse than us.
Best of luck to you, PB.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Yo tambien......

Best of luck to you, PB.
Me too, good luck to you.

Please tell me where in Argentina you will be living so I can avoid that place like the plague. Hahahaha.

Just "kidding". Good luck.

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
PB your points are valid. Although there are some good points you have failed to mention about the DR. Traffic is about the same in many Latin American countries. The PN are corrupt and cannot be trusted anywhere on the Island. Anyone who tells you differently is outright lying to you and/or themselves. The DR has positive things, but they are disappearing slow over the months/years. No single reason for it, but the "greed factor" comes to mind. "Lead by example" here is a path to nowhere. Wishing you well in your new surroundings.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
I visited the area several times over the last 5 years and loved it for all the reasons that many of you love it. I began living there full time in February. But in reality, I began to see the dark, ugly things about the area--these are random notes of mine: my Dominican gf afraid to walk on vitually deserted beach, car rear-ended--hit and run and the police refused to help, an armed robbery attempt of my house , an armed robbery attempt of Orilla del Mar(my rental) by 4 bandits= a 30 shot gunfight, bandits return in revenge gunfight with security--owners attempt a cover-up possibly to protect their properties value and/or rental income, pickpockets, police totally corrupt, crime atmosphere, the stories of friends terrorized by criminals, high prices, huge fear of an accident = loco drivers, pedestrians, and motos, police actively seek bribes on jfk, police will not protect me. no laws are observed and no laws enforced, con games, inflated prices = beer, food, cars, gasoline, difficulties of cedulla and registration, impossible to buy a house , must rent cars, gas 4.75 a gal, internet and electricity interruptions, supermarket food expensive , security and police are afraid to come to your rescue, 12 policemen raid a nice restauarant in Juan Dolio with loaded shotguns and semi-automatic rifles terrorizing the patrons--because the music was too loud, and dengue and typhoid fever, police persecution of Haitians seeking bribes.

PB
I feel after a gun battle or just a few of the things you went through, would be enough for any sane person to leave. I can't imagine that you didn't already know about some of the things you listed, such as, the unreliable electricity and the price of food and gas. You must have known this going in!

You also stated that it was impossible to buy a house. How so? I did it with no more hassle than buying a house in Canada. Why can you only rent and not buy a car too? I don't get that. I don't plan on living in the DR anytime soon but do like to shrink the Canadian winters and that was the reason for buying. Since buying in March '06, I have noticed a trend of more violent break-ins and "ladrones" in general :ermm:and it is disturbing but you can't live in a bubble either.

All I know is, if I am ever robbed at gunpoint, no matter where it is, (super unlikely here in Canada) I would sell and leave for sure.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
PB
I feel after a gun battle or just a few of the things you went through, would be enough for any sane person to leave.
Darn straight.
Specially as a newly arrived resident.
PB's style of writing on this board has not won him much support.
I repeat.
I have met him, as have many other good folks here at Rocky's.
He has always been friendly, quiet, reasonable, decent and affable.
He has even tolerated a lot of verbal abuse from posters who thought he might just be a sock, liar, or a jerk, and he has been quite calm about not attacking back, as many people would.
That in itself is a testament to who he is.
He went through a lifetime's worth of bad luck in a few months.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I can't decide if that is one of the more offensive or idiotic posts I have read here.
Either way I hope you aren't there while I am.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I can't decide if that is one of the more offensive or idiotic posts I have read here.
Either way I hope you aren't there while I am.
Although it's fairly clear that you are refering to the post preceeding yours, it may be advantageous to quote all or part of the text in future, to eliminate any doubt about which post you are referencing.
Many an incident has occured between posters, over misunderstandings of who certain comments were directed at.
Regards.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
It's not easy to live here, but it can be done. If you live in a big city in the US., You can have many of the same problems. We moved here, live in Cabarete, have to be carefull. Go to local rest., we know. Meet locals and where to go, aren't showy (sp). We made many friends local and expat. Life here is what you make of it. For what it's worth.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It's not easy to live here, but it can be done. If you live in a big city in the US., You can have many of the same problems. We moved here, live in Cabarete, have to be carefull. Go to local rest., we know. Meet locals and where to go, aren't showy (sp). We made many friends local and expat. Life here is what you make of it. For what it's worth.
Well said, and it is the truth for most of us.
There are exceptions to every rule, and PapaBenito is an example of that.
As some very wise people have suggested, one steers his/her own destiny.
There is a protocol to follow as a newbie, so as to not become a crime target.
Then there's who you first meet in the expat community. They might just be dumb know it alls who steer you wrong out of stupidity and lack of empathy, or they might be cunning con artists, or they might be wonderful sincere honest helpful people.
This alone, makes a gigantic difference.
Then there's a person's own Karma, if you believe in that, which I do.
Then there are newbies who are very intelligent and smart, but oh so very unwise.
It's a challenge, for sure, but the prize is worth the effort, and those with black hearts, need not bother trying.
This country will come back at you and bite you in the azz.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
mrgood100, you've forgotten to take your sweetie pills I'm sure!

I'm convinced that the quality of time spent in the DR in the first year or so is strongly tied to the quality of expats and locals that you meet and hang with.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
No! It IS very easy to live here!

Swimming in the ocean in the morning. Having a cool lunch and reading a nice book in the afternoon, and dancing with a young beauty at night.

To live the Dominican way.

But the very first minute that you want to live the American way - buying real estate, entering into some business relations, etc - you are changing your destiny YOURSELF. You are not in DR any longer.

Live ultra-light. Keep nothing that you would be upset if stolen.
And rent, rent, rent...
Appartments, people, beach - the whole country. Rent all of them. Keep your money safe back home.

And you will be happy here. Like I am.

And when I want to wear my Armani and to drive my S500 COUPE I take a three hour flight. To watch for fun those stupid participants of the rat race.

Do like me, and you`ll have eternal happiness and peace of mind.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
No! It IS very easy to live here!

Swimming in the ocean in the morning. Having a cool lunch and reading a nice book in the afternoon, and dancing with a young beauty at night.

To live the Dominican way.

But the very first minute that you want to live the American way - buying real estate, entering into some business relations, etc - you are changing your destiny YOURSELF. You are not in DR any longer.

Live ultra-light. Keep nothing that you would be upset if stolen.
And rent, rent, rent...
Appartments, people, beach - the whole country. Rent all of them. Keep your money safe back home.

And you will be happy here. Like I am.

And when I want to wear my Armani and to drive my S500 COUPE I take a three hour flight. To watch for fun those stupid participants of the rat race.

Do like me, and you`ll have eternal happiness and peace of mind.

Perhaps you are referring to living here part time whilst others are discussing living here full time....

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Perhaps you are referring to living here part time whilst others are discussing living here full time....

Of course, part time.

After some years I came to the definite conclusion that DR is not for living full time.

If you stay here without leaving long time, negative things begin to overwhelm you and you stop enjoying the good ones.

It happened to me also. And from then once in a while for a couple of months back to big Northern Brother. To put in order some health things, some investment things, some RE things, etc.

And then - back to DR with a renewed love!!!

Try this pattern for yourself - you`ll see how beautiful it is. And the idea of buying an overpriced house in deteriorating and self-contaminating Sosua will never even come to your mind.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Of course, part time.

After some years I came to the definite conclusion that DR is not for living full time.

If you stay here without leaving long time, negative things begin to overwhelm you and you stop enjoying the good ones.

It happened to me also. And from then once in a while for a couple of months back to big Northern Brother. To put in order some health things, some investment things, some RE things, etc.

And then - back to DR with a renewed love!!!

Try this pattern for yourself - you`ll see how beautiful it is. And the idea of buying an overpriced house in deteriorating and self-contaminating Sosua will never even come to your mind.

Firstly, I do not live in or anywhere near Sosua. Secondly, I did not come here from the US. Thirdly, we don't need to return to our original country on a regular basis to "put things right". Fourthly, we are very happy to live here in this beautiful country surrounded by kind, friendly people.... I am just sorry that others don't have the same luck we do and hope ours doesn't run out!! Finally, I would prefer not to be spoken down to, thank you.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Firstly, I do not live in or anywhere near Sosua. Secondly, I did not come here from the US. Thirdly, we don't need to return to our original country on a regular basis to "put things right". Fourthly, we are very happy to live here in this beautiful country surrounded by kind, friendly people.... I am just sorry that others don't have the same luck we do and hope ours doesn't run out!! Finally, I would prefer not to be spoken down to, thank you.
There is no justification for talking down to you, much less trying to impose his/her way of life on you or anybody.
Unless he/she has made investments in the country and lived here all year round for many years, then he/she lacks the experience required to make clinical observations of that lifestyle.
Perhaps, he/she underestimates the intelligence and wisdom of this collective group.

GOLFGUY

Oct 25, 2004
For what it's worth, I don't think he was talking down to you but giving his honest opinion. Sometimes for extranjeros it is better to come and go and maintain a light presence in order to avoid the possible pitfalls of being a marked foreigner in a mostly impoverished area. True, the way you handle yourself will mostly determine your fate in these circumstances, but you can't hide the fact that you, in a poor, foreign country will stand out as the person with money and therefore be the most obvious target (even if you don't have any money).

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
"Speak down to you?" - No , wrong impression.
I respect people and their opinions, thanks to my cultural and educational background and to my parents.

True, I do not respect cheapies who sue landlords for 20 bucks, that is right.

Why did you get so irritated when a person expressed his opinion about attractiveness of DR for permanent living and investment, that is different from yours?

My life is happier and I love DR more when I spend here only 7-8 months, and other time in other places, what is bad about it?

In which way it affects and damages the collective wisdom and intelligence of the Group, Marco?

First I do not live in or anywhere near Sosua. Secondly, I did not come here from the US. Thirdly, we don't need to return to our original country on a regular basis to "put things right". Fourthly, we are very happy to live here in this beautiful country surrounded by kind, friendly people.... I am just sorry that others don't have the same luck we do and hope ours doesn't run out!! Finally, I would prefer not to be spoken down to, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.