Illusion versus Reality--Why I moved away from Sosua/Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
"Speak down to you?" - No , wrong impression.
I respect people and their opinions, thanks to my cultural and educational background and to my parents.

True, I do not respect cheapies who sue landlords for 20 bucks, that is right.

Why did you get so irritated when a person expressed his opinion about attractiveness of DR for permanent living and investment, that is different from yours?

My life is happier and I love DR more when I spend here only 7-8 months, and other time in other places, what is bad about it?

The written word lacks both intonation and body language and can therefore often seem harsh.... perhaps I just over reacted to the phraseology used in your posts whereby you seem to make the assumption that we "all" have similar reasons to you for coming to DR. As you rightly say, we all have different requirements and goals and perhaps we should accept those differences and live our lives as we see fit. "I man's meat is another man's poison" isn't it?

lewpo

Jul 29, 2007
Well that was interesting. I wish the Papa Benitos of the world well . But as a near future ex-pat and avid traveler I just cant relate to what appears to me to be a professional victim . It might be that he is elderly/frail , as a NY cop I can tell you preadators opt for the weaker prey . Coruption in a developing carribean nation ? Naw..The next time I'm in Sousa and out partying with the local(and National)Cops I met their I'll bring that up to"em( it has never ceased to amaze my how much protection and potential good will a few presendenty's will purchase,several potential brother-in laws at the least).And if his GF is being harassed by the cops thank the ass**** presedent and his curfew a woman walking alone has to look out for the cops and the robbers.I had been looking to retire in the carribean for several years first checking the US virgins ,than costa rica ,Panama Nassau(too costly) . I made several trips to each over the last 9 years .4 years a travel agent booked me too DR . When I was 20 years old I was a Military Policeman in S korea . After a week in Sousa meeting the Pats and the "Peeps", I came to the realization that this was just like An Jong Ri or any other GI town I had policed . Same players,same hustlers and decent people trying to get by. When I hear folks like Papa lament I rember what my old training officer told me 23 years ago when I bitched about getting calls from people because there pipes busted , or wife was messing around ,or had a damn raccoon in there house (I work on long Island). He said that "If everyone could take care of himself they wouldnt need us". How true . Glad I found this site hope to get some good advice from you members.Any Vets out there? See you at Rocky's soon

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well that was interesting. I wish the Papa Benitos of the world well . But as a near future ex-pat and avid traveler I just cant relate to what appears to me to be a professional victim . It might be that he is elderly/frail , as a NY cop I can tell you predators opt for the weaker prey . Coruption in a developing carribean nation ? Naw..The next time I'm in Sousa and out partying with the local(and National)Cops I met their I'll bring that up to"em( it has never ceased to amaze my how much protection and potential good will a few presendenty's will purchase,several potential brother-in laws at the least).And if his GF is being harassed by the cops thank the ass**** presedent and his curfew a woman walking alone has to look out for the cops and the robbers.I had been looking to retire in the carribean for several years first checking the US virgins ,than costa rica ,Panama Nassau(too costly) . I made several trips to each over the last 9 years .4 years a travel agent booked me too DR . When I was 20 years old I was a Military Policeman in S korea . After a week in Sousa meeting the Pats and the "Peeps", I came to the realization that this was just like An Jong Ri or any other GI town I had policed . Same players,same hustlers and decent people trying to get by. When I hear folks like Papa lament I rember what my old training officer told me 23 years ago when I bitched about getting calls from people because there pipes busted , or wife was messing around ,or had a damn raccoon in there house (I work on long Island). He said that "If everyone could take care of himself they wouldnt need us". How true . Glad I found this site hope to get some good advice from you members.Any Vets out there? See you at Rocky's soon
You are correct that he is a bit elderly and the criminals certainly look for the easiest targets/victims.
As for discussing corruption within the police force with the local cops, it would be a waste of breath and may even alienate them a bit.
Better off to continue having fun partying with them.
Their friendship may someday save you some serious inconveniences, should you run into a legal problem.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Illusions versus reality.Any Vets out there? See you at Rocky's soon

Well that was interesting. I wish the Papa Benitos of the world well . But as a near future ex-pat and avid traveler I just cant relate to what appears to me to be a professional victim . It might be that he is elderly/frail , as a NY cop I can tell you preadators opt for the weaker prey . Coruption in a developing carribean nation ? Naw..The next time I'm in Sousa and out partying with the local(and National)Cops I met their I'll bring that up to"em( it has never ceased to amaze my how much protection and potential good will a few presendenty's will purchase,several potential brother-in laws at the least).And if his GF is being harassed by the cops thank the ass**** presedent and his curfew a woman walking alone has to look out for the cops and the robbers.I had been looking to retire in the carribean for several years first checking the US virgins ,than costa rica ,Panama Nassau(too costly) . I made several trips to each over the last 9 years .4 years a travel agent booked me too DR . When I was 20 years old I was a Military Policeman in S korea . After a week in Sousa meeting the Pats and the "Peeps", I came to the realization that this was just like An Jong Ri or any other GI town I had policed . Same players,same hustlers and decent people trying to get by. When I hear folks like Papa lament I rember what my old training officer told me 23 years ago when I bitched about getting calls from people because there pipes busted , or wife was messing around ,or had a damn raccoon in there house (I work on long Island). He said that "If everyone could take care of himself they wouldnt need us". How true . Glad I found this site hope to get some good advice from you members.Any Vets out there? See you at Rocky's soon

Any Vets out there? See you at Rocky's soon

I am a 21 year vet from AF..have been living here for several years after trying out Italy,Spain,Thailand and Costa Rica,as well as florida,.
I love it here,live among the dominicans,have very few gringo friends,and survive with no more problems than my neighbors.Dominicans are very beautiful people on the average,and bad apples as anywhere.But if you are aware,smart and not trying to be a gringo,all goes well.I have an apt here in La Capital and a small dominican house on a finca in El Limion,Samana,and all my neighbors are dominican,as well as my family.And of course,the most beautiful women in all the world are on this island!!!
What a country.
get to Rockys maybe twice a year..get my rib fix..
bob

lewpo

Jul 29, 2007
Hi , this is my first day on DR1.I have been reading a lot of your post . It appears that you and Chip are the man:)
Any way if you have time and or inclination perhapsone or both you can enlighten a soon to be ex-pat on ownership in the DR . First I am not an investor . I have worked in law enforcement in the US and am presently prepareing to retire to the islands . I have been in contact on an on going basis with Hispanolia realestate in Sousa . I am seriously considering purchaseing for full time living a villa in their Residential Hispanolia development . However the expats that I have spoken to tell me that I am over spending to build there.I personaly dont see how . A three bedroom 2 bath unit w/pool and landscaping built on1/4 acre for US$175,00 being from the NY city suburbes that seems more than resonable when coupled with the security , generator,and location(backing the police station 5 min walk to beach and supermarket.)My credit rating is 750 and I will have about $90,000Us on hand my pension will be US$75,000-$80,000 per year net. I would think that I'm being rather conservative. I have stayed at the sister development Residential Casa Linda on several occasions and enjoyed every thing except the distance from town. As a matter of fact some owners at RCL are attempting to sell 2 bedrm units for more than the cost of my intended unit(aint gonna happen) can you in your wisdom o Rocky and Chip guide a lost traveler through the murkey waters to the crystal decadence of playa Sousa. I await your wisdom.:) Thanks PS I cut and pasted this from Pvt messages to much work to edit and u guys dont except PMs
lewpo/

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Of course, part time.

After some years I came to the definite conclusion that DR is not for living full time.

Not for you, maybe, but there are approx 9 million of us who do live here fulltime. :) ('us' being Dominicans and expats).

Fulltime and part-time expats are 2 very distinct groups of people. Different outlooks, different levels of commitment. Probably very little understanding between one group and the other and probably even less interest in finding out more about the other group. The part-timers probably think most fulltimers have 'gone native' whereas many of the fulltimers think the part-timers are tourists..................:laugh:

lewpo, you may not want to put too much personal financial info on a public board.

lewpo

Jul 29, 2007
Any Vets out there? See you at Rocky's soon

I am a 21 year vet from AF..have been living here for several years after trying out Italy,Spain,Thailand and Costa Rica,as well as florida,.
I love it here,live among the dominicans,have very few gringo friends,and survive with no more problems than my neighbors.Dominicans are very beautiful people on the average,and bad apples as anywhere.But if you are aware,smart and not trying to be a gringo,all goes well.I have an apt here in La Capital and a small dominican house on a finca in El Limion,Samana,and all my neighbors are dominican,as well as my family.And of course,the most beautiful women in all the world are on this island!!!
What a country.
get to Rockys maybe twice a year..get my rib fix..
bob

Hi Bob :
I still rember living amongst the ingigs in SE Asia as some of the best times of my life and while I consider my self a citizen of the world I do enjoy certen comforts and cant wait to get away from D**** like Mrgood100 (post#50) I hope to run into you on the beach Airman not just to bikini watch I SCUBA and Kitesail we'll swap war stories and drink to the guys not here

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
For my part, I'm no real estate expert.
I've lived here for a long time and know a lot of mundane details that can be useful, and I would suggest that the next time you're down here, you meet up with a couple of people down here, who do know real estate well, and have no agendas (not agents, just kool knowledgeable honest people).
May I also suggest that you do not give out any financial info to the greater public.
Although it makes it easier to answer your questions honestly, you can never know if some scammer/con artist is reading this too, and will try to hook you.
I'm quite sure that you're pretty street wise and can take care of yourself, but there's no sense in taking unnecessary risks.
BTW: You sound like the type of dude who will be happy here and not run into all the problems, that some select few have been plagued with.

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Welcome to the DR, J-Bob, tough guy!

There are few things more comical than a know-it-all, know nothing. Good luck!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There are few things more comical than a know-it-all, know nothing. Good luck!
Geez PB.
What the heck did J-Bob say to warrant that response?
I reread his post and it's as normal as can be, and I can't see even the slightest hint of acting like a know it all.
Are you sure you referenced the right poster?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
OK, let's behave now.
lewpo, are you nuts? Its not a good idea to tell thousands of strangers about your finances - you should know that if your history is as illustrious in law enforcement as you say. Also, a little board etiquette, start your own thread please. Don't hijack someone elses - you?ll hear this over and over again on this board.. stay on topic.
I think Papabenito was replying to AK47's post.

What is this stuff? Old Home week for guns and law enforcement? :laugh:

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
My humblest apologies, J-Bob

My dumb comments were not intended for you. But, towards another poster. I am sorry!

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
To set the record straight--I carry a very ''low profile''

The one exception was the very nice new Encuentro rental house where we were obviously targeted and not defended by possibly conspiritorial security. All else was random or bad luck. The hit and run driver left the scene because he knew that no laws are enforced by the police. Similar, with the attempted pickpocket.

N

naturelover

i didnt realise argentina was a place of tranquility where nothing bad happens ...ahem

lewpo

Jul 29, 2007
just got caught up

OK, let's behave now.
lewpo, are you nuts? Its not a good idea to tell thousands of strangers about your finances - you should know that if your history is as illustrious in law enforcement as you say. Also, a little board etiquette, start your own thread please. Don't hijack someone elses - you?ll hear this over and over again on this board.. stay on topic.
I think Papabenito was replying to AK47's post.

What is this stuff? Old Home week for guns and law enforcement? :laugh:
You of corse are right I should know better,But i typed that (w/2 fingers) to send to Chip00 to send as a pvt post and he dos'nt except 'em so like the lazy bastered I am I just cut and pasted . more carefull in future I stand properly chastised

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.