Im a plumber looking to retired soon in DR

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
- So you want to do to the Dominicans what illegals do in Canada/USA by taking employment away from the natives.

This would have been a good statement if the Dominican Plumbers had any idea what they were doing. most things have to be FIXED 2-3 times due the workmanship.

Of course your correct the would take jobs away from 2-3 as it would probably not need to be FIXED.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Actually a professional NA plumber would look at the simple job of changing a float in a toilet down here and immediately submit an estimate to re-plumb the entire house including a ventilation pipe. It takes time to integrate one's old ways with the undocumented, inconsistent and often foolish methods employed in the DR.

I see the way my rental is wired and just have to shake my head. I also try really hard to remember not to turn on a light with wet feet.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
- Most countries (i.e Costa Rica) requires from Retired people to proof that they can settle as such in the country by depositing in a Bank Account the amount of money they need to live on and they have to use that money to renew the yearly residence. So you want to do to the Dominicans what illegals do in Canada/USA by taking employment away from the natives.
- You can make yourself busy by reading, exploring, fishing, taking Spanish lessons which are more beneficial to your new host country.
- The D.R. gets all type of predators , sexual predators, tax dodgers, criminals of different varieties and it is time to enforce the laws ans start with the illegal workers.

Oh you're so Nobel. Yea like he's going to steel food off the table of a moto concho driver. The man said he was a plumber and you bring up sexual predator ??

lplumberman

Nov 19, 2014
Wow big response ! Thxs guys well i guess ill tell you my age 51 , when i get things set up here in S.F hopefully soon , then ill rent for a year before buying just to make sure where i want to live , been to DR many time just for vacation its a big different then living there , love the beach and night life , but i can't do that full time ! i can't work for nobody most likely get fired !! lol so buy a bar [cheap one] I'm to nice for that girls be drinking for free !! if i can get $10 hr ill do it part time with a helper and show him how to do plumbing , why not it would be fun and keep me from being bored

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
im going to need your services soon...i got a solar hot water project on the fire...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
oh f?ck. i was wrong man, you will make money here. we have workers redoing bathrooms. today plomero arrived to move the toilet more to the left as we bought a double sink. he made me a list of stuff to buy and disappeared, leaving his helper behind. i dutifully purchased the goodies and let the helper do the work. i come back to check on him and here is what i see:

k1pdkx.jpg

red is existing pipe that had a reversed T shaped connector for the previous toilet. blue is new god damn connection, sticking good 4 inches above the floor and providing a roller coaster ride for the fecal matter. i go all WTF. at this time maestro arrives so i order him to take all this apart and get the plomero back in the house.

what i want is to simply move this reversed T more to the left. like so:

255mjco.png

again, red is existing pipe, blue is a new connection i want, obviously taking the old T out. plomero helper does not understand. maestro does but he still looks at me like i am a moron.

am i crazy? tell me i am not crazy. toilet plumbing here is a piece of crap as it is and it has tendency to block. why the hell would anyone put more corners/curves to make it more difficult?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Next time try printing off the colorful pictures and give one copy to the jeffe and the other to the helper... :)

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
... unless you want to be around barrio chicas 24/7.
Sounds more fun than having to sort out someone else's sh1t (literally).

I have some respect for electricians here. They don't play by the rules but do show a lot of ingenuity to get the job done. But I have tried a dozen plumbers over the years and they were all useless, dishonest or unreliable about showing up. Finally found a good one. He did a couple of jobs professionally and I paid him double the very modest amount he asked in the hopes of keeping him co-operative.

This was probably a big mistake as the the third and bigger job he did for me I didn't bother to ask for a quote and he slapped in an excessive bill. I found out later he charged my Dominican neighbours a third as much to do the same work. Probably used materials I had paid for to do their work, too.

lplumberman

Nov 19, 2014
oh f?ck. i was wrong man, you will make money here. we have workers redoing bathrooms. today plomero arrived to move the toilet more to the left as we bought a double sink. he made me a list of stuff to buy and disappeared, leaving his helper behind. i dutifully purchased the goodies and let the helper do the work. i come back to check on him and here is what i see:

k1pdkx.jpg

red is existing pipe that had a reversed T shaped connector for the previous toilet. blue is new god damn connection, sticking good 4 inches above the floor and providing a roller coaster ride for the fecal matter. i go all WTF. at this time maestro arrives so i order him to take all this apart and get the plomero back in the house.

what i want is to simply move this reversed T more to the left. like so:

255mjco.png

again, red is existing pipe, blue is a new connection i want, obviously taking the old T out. plomero helper does not understand. maestro does but he still looks at me like i am a moron.

am i crazy? tell me i am not crazy. toilet plumbing here is a piece of crap as it is and it has tendency to block. why the hell would anyone put more corners/curves to make it more difficult?
ill be there in december buy me a few beers , ill tell you don't move the toilet ! and don't install a double ! and save you a big headache , 4" above the floor that funny !! sorry

lplumberman

Nov 19, 2014
LOLOL Good stories here !!! we have it here too in San Francisco people try to go cheap , you pay what you get {in most case } but a least he did a good job not like the other guy his toilet off the floor 4"

lplumberman

Nov 19, 2014
LOLOL Good stories here !!! we have it here too in San Francisco people try to go cheap , you pay what you get {in most case } but a least he did a good job not like the other guy his toilet off the floor 4"

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ill be there in december buy me a few beers , ill tell you don't move the toilet ! and don't install a double ! and save you a big headache , 4" above the floor that funny !! sorry

the sink is bought and paid for. maybe it was a good idea but that dastardly miesposo takes too much room at the sink, damn! :)

the toilet was moved. i mean, the pipe, really. i am already pi**ed off beyond belief because the pipe was only covered with some loose dirt/earth. it does not look solid enough to pour the floor over this. and again, i saw the same reaction to my directions as before: my word has no weight unless miesposo says the same. wtf. i pay you, fcukers.

lplumberman

Nov 19, 2014
the sink is bought and paid for. maybe it was a good idea but that dastardly miesposo takes too much room at the sink, damn! :)

the toilet was moved. i mean, the pipe, really. i am already pi**ed off beyond belief because the pipe was only covered with some loose dirt/earth. it does not look solid enough to pour the floor over this. and again, i saw the same reaction to my directions as before: my word has no weight unless miesposo says the same. wtf. i pay you, fcukers.
I'll be there late dec in sosua if you live by I'll ck it out

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011

Seems to me you could do it yourself :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so, this tiny wrinkled raisin is putting on tiles now. he tiled two walls, i was happy. third wall going up, i leave the matter in the hands of miesposo and take a nap. wake up to find the guy put the tiles horizontally instead of vertically. my mind. it is boggled. also, miesposo went to check the bathroom few times and said he "did not notice". is anyone interested in marriage to me? send applications. attach the bank statement and a note from your doctor that you know the difference between horizontal and vertical.

TP666

Sep 6, 2005
PVC forever - hot water - cold water - drinkg water God what a fu@king country -Retards all -Adults with kiddie brains!
In NYC I have seen Dominican homes piping natural gas through copper pipe!

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
and i will sell you all my plumbing tools...could never resist a pipe wrench or a faucet seat reamer....my favorite tool