Im a plumber looking to retired soon in DR

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
There are many types of PVC pipe, including one that is designed to be used with hot water.

Not just plumbers. Good tradesmen in construction here make excellent money and really aren't available to do small jobs for anyone.

The big contractors doing mega projects here have them all on lockdown.

I've seen woodworking shops in 40-50k sq. ft. buildings turning out all kinds of exotic mahogany woodwork for high-end projects.

I knew a guy who specializes in wood ceilings for million-dollar villas and has a crew of about 20 guys.
Which for some reason brings me to the subject of skill levels of doctors. LOL. All doctors have that plaque on the wall of degrees and license BUT
in the total mix someone graduated at the TOP of their class and someone graduated at the BOTTOM of the class. Spin the wheel baby and keep checking the backgrounds and review. And check here on DR1 of course.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
The problem with doing plumbing work here is the availability of stock that you need to do the job correctly, I've been to many ferritarea's from pop to santa Domingo and not one of them could compare to home depot never mind a plumbing supply house. The only plumbing I do here is in my own house, I'ts just not worth the effort as you spend more time running around looking for stock than doing the job. I'm sure on big jobs they import all the stock.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The problem with doing plumbing work here is the availability of stock that you need to do the job correctly, I've been to many ferritarea's from pop to santa Domingo and not one of them could compare to home depot never mind a plumbing supply house. The only plumbing I do here is in my own house, I'ts just not worth the effort as you spend more time running around looking for stock than doing the job. I'm sure on big jobs they import all the stock.

I could write a book about the grumbling I’ve heard from Mr AE over the years about the plumbing supplies in DR. He brings his own, always buying copper stuff (I say stuff because I don’t have a clue what any of it is), but there’s inevitably something he needs and doesn’t have. That’s when the cussing usually starts.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I could write a book about the grumbling I’ve heard from Mr AE over the years about the plumbing supplies in DR. He brings his own, always buying copper stuff (I say stuff because I don’t have a clue what any of it is), but there’s inevitably something he needs and doesn’t have. That’s when the cussing usually starts.
I was Same way but found last 5 yrs you can get a lot more then before..

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I was Same way but found last 5 yrs you can get a lot more then before..
Found any 1/2" slip by threaded PVC elbows ? I don't like adding a slip by threaded adapter. that introduces one extra joint and makes things stick out too far.
If so tell me where ( confirmed)
How about plumbers putty ?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Our plumber was just here (we rent so don't have to pay). The only tool he brought was his plumber's crack (literally). He borrowed a neighbors pliers and fixed 2 of the 3 things wrong. He only created one new leak.
2 out of 3 not bad and only half of the repairs leak :rolleyes: (y)

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
In Trade schools here they hand you a switch and screw driver and if light bulb works your an electrician if it doesn’t your plumber...

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
If i wanted to keep busy by doing odd jobs [ plumbing ] 1st is there a need for a good plumber ? what could i charge ? ill be moving around Sosua
Plenty of different advice here. My bit: do it for fun once a week. Do a good job while building up your contacts and reputation. After one year you may start charging and in the meantime you will know the rates. There is demand and gringos will pay you a premium. Your English is a higher assest then Spanish a liability.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
In Trade schools here they hand you a switch and screw driver and if light bulb works your an electrician if it doesn’t your plumber...
20200802_201804.jpg

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Found any 1/2" slip by threaded PVC elbows ? I don't like adding a slip by threaded adapter. that introduces one extra joint and makes things stick out too far.
I have seen plumbers putty in Bellon.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Lucianos in sosua had plumbers putty 2yrs ago when I installed new sinks ...