I'm A Young Traveler With A Million Questions - Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
It is great you have such an adventurous spirit however adventure and living on a very tight budget do not always make a good combination. Not having a support system and trying to etch out a living on your budget may be doable but you will be cutting it very close monthly financially. As a gringo/foreigner here and not really knowing much about the DR it will cost you more especially in the beginning. But if you willing to live a very and I mean very basic life then it may be possible.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Dominicans are tolerant but that being said they identify themselves as Catholic and support traditional values. What that means is that one needs to be careful whom they associate with when traveling around the country. For example, many Dominicans get involved in the gay scene for money only, especially in the tourist areas. The Claudio Nasco murder is a relevant example. However, if one is just looking for friendship Dominicans are generally very welcoming.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Chen" you asked for our "Advice" you got some.
Then you say you already know how you will live here.
You Don't!!!!
---------------------------------------------------
"Rich Snob Gringo"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I wont give up - I remember one time I hoped on a bus and I ended up in South Beach Miami, I had 1 bag and $300 dollars to my name, I got a hostel paying $14 a night and paid my self a place for 3 weeks, I had nothing to my name but $300 that I could use for food and maybe to cover a few extra days of rent at the hostel.

No where to go, no one to turn too and no option to turn back, mind you this is south beach, in no time I started fixing computers for pocket change and 5 months later I had my own apartment, a good job and I was happy...

what happened to survival? what happened to sacrifice, whats wrong with making a tight budget and taking risk... I guess I had a different upraising in life...

I was once told, he that sacrifices nothing, gains nothing.

I think you can do it. It doesn't seem that you have your sights set to high and you speak Spanish. Contrary to what some say on here there are many non-Dominican Latinos in the DR and they are accepted without issues. I think that you have to make sure you have enough money to cover an emergency (medical, fight back to USA or P.R.) but if you are careful 22,000 pesos is doable. The biggest issue is making money.
It's true that the average wage is 10K pesos or so, but the tellers at the bank make around 15K, a teacher working fulltime is around 30k pesos, the person managing the customer service desk at electrical company makes 18,000 pesos, a store manager around 20,000 pesos. Many of them do not live with family ...etc. Understand that those that are warning you that you need 1000 dollars per month minimum are talking out their reality and not trying to steer you wrong.
I 've lived here for two years and some months we spend several $1000 dollars but other months we spend around 20,000 pesos per month and that's including everything for two people.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
The reality is if you keep aside money for a return flight and taxi fare to the airport, you can come and enjoy 'til the money runs out - whether it's a week or 10 years.

22000 is doable. It will however be a very basic existence. For me, that covers about 3 days of expenses.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
You are 26, RD$22,000 will get you along plenty fine as a single person here. Pay $8,000 for an apartment, $1,000 for water, $1,000 for electricity, and $2,000 for internet which leaves you with about $10,000 give or take for food and transportation. Problem is the internet you have to sign an 18 month contract. Rent you need 3 months up front so about RD$25,000 depending on how much they charge for the contract. Water you need to pay for the meter which was $2,500 when I got it and same for electricity. You're going to need around US$1,000 - US$1,500 to set up life here then you need about that same amount saved for back-up in case you need to leave. Also, I suggest having that amount here for any emergency situation down here.

I highly recommend for your situation finding someone that is looking for a roommate so you don't have to incur those expenses and end up leaving after 3 months.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I love these threads! I'd never recommend half the things I did while traveling as my younger self, but what great memories!

What we can do for a few months, and what we can do over our lifetime is quite different. I'm one of those rare gringas that can eat la bandera daily for months on end if I'm in the DR, but rarely make rice when I'm at home. How many of us seriously had health insurance when we were young? (And now would never be without it?)

I'd reach out to any "friends of friends" or family friends that can hook you up with places to stay or a meal or two. Knowing Spanish is a plus, but being Puerto Rican may not be. Having skills and good stories comes in handy, too!

StephenChen

Jul 18, 2014
I wrote an ad on dr1 a few days ago regarding a possible long term trip, minimum four months to Santo Domingo. I also mentioned in the post that I'm gay, and it seems some people were put off by it.

Anyhow, that being said I was wondering if you could give me a sense of direction,by offering me advice and guidance, or connect me with some contacts in order tomake my arrival and stay in DR smoother.

I'm going to take this opportunity to reintroduce myself and explicitly detail what I'm looking for. I'm 26 years old, gay and masculine. When I say "masculine," it means I act pretty straight and off of first impressions, you would not say I'm gay. that alone is an advantage on its own around homophobes.

I'm by far not rich, nor have I ever lived a lavish life, I am a young hardworking man that lives within my means and wishing to experience the life in another country for a few months.

I don't expect to go to DR and live like a king. I simply wish to go visit for a few months and live life within local standards: eat at home, stay away from tourist traprestaurants, and drink cheap beer.

As far as living conditions. A small studio apartment would be best; ideally, maybe a house. My budget is at most RD$8000 monthly. I'm looking for somewhere near the young gay scene. A place that has a great nightlife that includes clubs, bars, lounges, and restaurants.

My skills lie within technology. I'm very adept in computer science. to be more specific, I can repair, program, and pretty much anything else related to computers. If it can be done on a computer, I'm an expert. Linguistically, I speak Spanish perfectly, read it, write it and translate it flawlessly.

Thanks for reading all of that and I hope to hear from you soon.

Stephen

P.S. I will be living off a weekly income of RD$8600 weekly - will that be enough to survive?

I will add, I have the escape plan covered if all was to go bad, an airline ticket back home, a home to come back too and a job to come back too.

StephenChen

Jul 18, 2014
La Rubia _ I Love Your Spirit - Badass.... hehehehe your by far the kindest and realest person on here....

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Hey Bori, I'm starting to get the feeling your full of yourself. If you're a PR then you could probably tell the majority of dr1ers more about the DR than they can tell you. You are right next door, aren't you?

I get that your gay, and that you're gay that your gay. Gay for you, but what gives with smearing your s*** all over the forum. Starved for attention? That "Badass" is starting to stink badass.

StephenChen

Jul 18, 2014
well my dead pal, I am not really sure if I am full **** or not but I can most def tell you this, in order to know what being full of **** is like, I am sure one needs to have some good experience, I am sure u have plenty with being full of ****....

smearing ****? how about you just grow the **** up and get the **** out of your stupid old fashioned mentality... people like you are the ones that inspire the power of hate or non the less condone it.

I have a good friend whos chinese, he know not one word in his native language, his favorite meal is spaghetii and meatballs and the funny **** is, hes more american "gringo" then any other white guy here. just cause I am puerto rican it does not mean I know anything about puerto rico, just cause you speak a language it does not mean you know anything about your culture, I know many dominicans here in NYC who have never put their feet on your island... dont talk shizt

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Seems some members on DR1 have issues with gays.....Hey God loves you too Mr Chen, so chill out on the diatribe.
Just as you have the right to say you are gay, people are entitled to their own opinion about the lifestyle you shared on a public forum.
Your budget for a single person on rice and beans and a random beer seems fine. Keep in mind, if you have to live in a rough barrio to make ends meet, your possessions may magically vanish...........

StephenChen

Jul 18, 2014
Can I Afford DR

Ok you know what I have an idea... let me make my question more concise and to the point...

I'f I was to arrive in DR with $1000 in my pocket and a bag of clothes....

along with an additional $200 weekly income for six months

and an escape plan with airline tickets, home to go back too, and job...

would I be able to make it in DR for a good 4 or 5 months?

Last edited:

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Ok you know what I have an idea... let me make my question more concise and to the point...

I'f I was to arrive in DR with $1000 in my pocket and a bag of clothes....

along with an additional $200 weekly income for six months

and an escape plan with airline tickets, home to go back too, and job...

would I be able to make it in DR for a good 4 or 5 months?

If you want to live in un pension, yes.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Stephen, you've gotten good advice in your threads, digest it all and make your decision. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.