IMF wants more taxes: yes or yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Real estate is the biggie. One they really haven't touched yet. A virtual gold mine waiting to be tapped.
Carbon taxes are a great way for governments to raise money. Denmark has upped their game by carbon taxing farm animals, so there are lots of creative ways for governments to bleed citizens dry.

Our Canadian government has managed to climb to second place worldwide in collecting the carbon tax, however plans are in place to replace them before reaching #1.

Jan 9, 2004
Carbon taxes are a great way for governments to raise money. Denmark has upped their game by carbon taxing farm animals, so there are lots of creative ways for governments to bleed citizens dry.

Our Canadian government has managed to climb to second place worldwide in collecting the carbon tax, however plans are in place to replace them before reaching #1.

Thank you for reminding me about the carbon tax.

While I find it another useless tax that would likely benefit few in the DR, except for the agency that will collect and administer it, Abinader who rode to his first presidential swearing in ceremony in a Tesla, may see it two ways if placed on imported vehicles.

First as a revenue raising measure and second as a way to show the world the commitment of the DR to go green. And, second, of course, this will sit well with all the alphabet soup agencies who dole out loans and grants.

This is a tax that would not in theory burden the poor, yet raise significant revenue…..sort of a win/win for his administration.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
This is a tax that would not in theory burden the poor, yet raise significant revenue…..sort of a win/win for his administration.
All tax initiatives place an additional burden on the poor by means of a trickle-down effect... So, not a "...win/win..." for the poor.

The way to deal with the energy consumption problems is to push the development of alternate power sources... And, even more importantly... When and where possible, changing our lifestyle culture.

I attended a SXSW seminar back in 2010. It was being presented by a leading environmental conservation expert. He went through all the charts and it was really quite an eye-opener to see how little that future predictions of alternate energy use would have on economies. In one particular slide, he had to zoom in many multiple times before the line that showed wind-produced energy could be seen. It was sad really... All the BS that had been served up by all the various governmental agencies was simply exposed by facts.

In the end, he said that after his three decades of studying the matter of environmental conservation, he had come to see that only one thing would make a real difference...

Consume less... And make what you already have work longer for you.

He said to fathers... Hand your watch down to your son and tell him to do the same with his son.

Oh yes... And stop requiring events like SXSW to fly in seminar speakers as they did with him.

Long story short... I've seen the enemy... And he be me.

Jan 9, 2004
All tax initiatives place an additional burden on the poor by means of a trickle-down effect... So, not a "...win/win..." for the poor.

The way to deal with the energy consumption problems is to push the development of alternate power sources... And, even more importantly... When and where possible, changing our lifestyle culture.

I attended a SXSW seminar back in 2010. It was being presented by a leading environmental conservation expert. He went through all the charts and it was really quite an eye-opener to see how little that future predictions of alternate energy use would have on economies. In one particular slide, he had to zoom in many multiple times before the line that showed wind-produced energy could be seen. It was sad really... All the BS that had been served up by all the various governmental agencies was simply exposed by facts.

In the end, he said that after his three decades of studying the matter of environmental conservation, he had come to see that only one thing would make a real difference.

He said to fathers... Hand your watch down to your son and tell him to do the same with his son.

Oh yes... And stop requiring events like SXSW to fly in seminar speakers as they did with him.

I believe I stated “ in theory”……and that is how the government could or would sell the tax to the poor. So in the case of the DR they get a tax, but tell the poor it will not affect them unless/until they import a car. Win/win.

As someone who has brought in dozens of electric vehicles to the DR and who has carefully looked at the larger picture, there is no such thing as “green energy”……..just varying degrees…….

And I find it equally repugnant for the so called climate activists to fly all over the world to these so called green conferences……… in their private jets…….yet lecture the rest of us on what we must sacrifice. This holier than though attitude, at times, is quite off putting.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

In the end, he said that after his three decades of studying the matter of environmental conservation, he had come to see that only one thing would make a real difference...

I think all reasonable people understand fossil fuels are not going anywhere, not in anyone's lifetime who is typing on this forum.
Solar is good for your house, maybe for a small hotel or an office building if you have a huge field to install panels. But they won't power whole cities.

But they don't work all the time, need cleaning, especially in snow climates and dusty deserts, and as was found out in Texas they don't survive hail storms.

Wind energy works for a while but the windmills need a lot of maintenance and anyone who has traveled or worked, as I did in the Colombia River Gorge, know how they are the worst form of pollution - they destroy the beauty of the environment. You would have to have them on every hilltop and valley in the world to replace current electricity fuels.

Carbon Tax - it's a way for polluters like Taylor Swift to do virtue signaling and get liberal-atonement for flying huge private jets around the world.
And also for those, like Al Gore, to sell them and make boat loads of money, while spending precious little they rake in to plant some conifer trees that die off 6 months after being planted.

Global Warming is a scam, just like Covid was, and the fools of the world have swallowed it whole..
Whenever the politicians push something so hard, it is only because they have billions of dollar signs in their eyes

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I think you didn't have your coffee yet. The majority of money that moves through remittances is generally unbooked and unbanked. Money that there is no tax paid on, especially money from organized criminal activities such as theft, prostitution and drug sales. The expats on this site, we know who we are, could be the exception because we send money to ourselves from US bank accounts or, apparently, many are sending to their unbanked Dominican partners or extended families. However, this is in the minority.
I want to check your DNA I believe we can be related somehow reasons being you constantly call b******* and love calling out folks .those are my strong Dna traits

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Look at Argentina, they owe IMF $44B so that is why they are falling apart
Argentina had their first month of no food inflation last month in decades and he actually had a surplus in gov't spending.
Whether Melei can turn that hot mess country around without control of his congress remains to be seen. If he can privatize some companies he has a chance.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Argentina had their first month of no food inflation last month in decades and he actually had a surplus in gov't spending.
Whether Melei can turn that hot mess country around without control of his congress remains to be seen. If he can privatize some companies he has a chance.

My friend went there and said you can use your VISA card $100 and it last you DAYS because you can buy breakfast at McDs for like $2 or so cuz its so cheap to conversation rate..... No wonder Buenos Aires are cheap for tourists but not for residents there.

I hope Argentina will be able to get back on track and become a better country.. Be honest, its a amazing city. Melei wants to put airline business and train system into private so it can lure investments to keep it up/running and make it stable while free up state budget for others.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Please return to the thread topic, which is not Argentina, climate change or any of the other distractions that have crept in.

Last edited:

drpesson

Jul 1, 2022
navas
I think all reasonable people understand fossil fuels are not going anywhere, not in anyone's lifetime who is typing on this forum.
Solar is good for your house, maybe for a small hotel or an office building if you have a huge field to install panels. But they won't power whole cities.

But they don't work all the time, need cleaning, especially in snow climates and dusty deserts, and as was found out in Texas they don't survive hail storms.

Wind energy works for a while but the windmills need a lot of maintenance and anyone who has traveled or worked, as I did in the Colombia River Gorge, know how they are the worst form of pollution - they destroy the beauty of the environment. You would have to have them on every hilltop and valley in the world to replace current electricity fuels.

Carbon Tax - it's a way for polluters like Taylor Swift to do virtue signaling and get liberal-atonement for flying huge private jets around the world.
And also for those, like Al Gore, to sell them and make boat loads of money, while spending precious little they rake in to plant some conifer trees that die off 6 months after being planted.

Global Warming is a scam, just like Covid was, and the fools of the world have swallowed it whole..
Whenever the politicians push something so hard, it is only because they have billions of dollar signs in their eyes
everytime i drive by the carnival cruise port in miamon I like to count the number of windmills not working.normally a couple.out of maybe 20.

I saw them assemblying one. They are monsters. No idea what they will do with them after.

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
everytime i drive by the carnival cruise port in miamon I like to count the number of windmills not working.normally a couple.out of maybe 20.

I saw them assemblying one. They are monsters. No idea what they will do with them after.

Whoa, today is a learning experience. When did they put windmills in Maimon (And where?)

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
I believe I stated “ in theory”……and that is how the government could or would sell the tax to the poor. So in the case of the DR they get a tax, but tell the poor it will not affect them unless/until they import a car. Win/win.

As someone who has brought in dozens of electric vehicles to the DR and who has carefully looked at the larger picture, there is no such thing as “green energy”……..just varying degrees…….

And I find it equally repugnant for the so called climate activists to fly all over the world to these so called green conferences……… in their private jets…….yet lecture the rest of us on what we must sacrifice. This holier than though attitude, at times, is quite off putting.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Actually... You said, "...not in theory...", but I see where you may have left out some commas (not a grammar Nazi, just the reason I read it incorrectly)...

That aside... Those who want to control others for their own gain... Such as those who head up the IMF... Always have a holier-than-thou lecturing attitude that is off-putting to those with any sense.

Though there may be no "...green..." anything, other than allowing nature to completely do its thing... There is such a thing as "...greener..." living if a culture of living with a smaller, more eco-positive/friendly footprint is applied.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
windmills in the DR hahahahahahaha....maybe they refitted them to flatten out platanos for tostones,lol.
Noticed them for the first time a week ago yesterday/ Saturday on my bus ride back to Santiago from Sosua. Absolute eyesores. My guess is they picked a spot next to the cruise ship terminals so that all of the arriving cruise ship passengers will impressed by how modern and climate friendly the Dominican Republic is, lol, nevermind the 5 acre Puerto Plata landfill/ mountain of trash that seems to burn uncontrolled at least twice a year for the last ten years.

Status
Not open for further replies.