Immigration Application to Extend Tourist Card for 90 Days

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Dominicans be aware to bring your Cédula and birth certificate of minors born in DR if you are exiting DR on a US or any other countries passport where you hold citizenship if no you will have to pay a tourist fee or won't be able to board the plane. The immigration officers at STI custom counters won't validate the information on your US passport.
I am Dominican by birth, same my wife and my daughter. We have a hard time today at STI luckily we did provided cédula and birth certificate of our daughter but a lady behind me was refused as she didn't have cédula or the amount of money she was supposed to pay even when she is Dominican traveling on a US passport.
That's unconstitutional.

JJ

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Dominicans be aware to bring your Cédula and birth certificate of minors born in DR if you are exiting DR on a US or any other countries passport where you hold citizenship if no you will have to pay a tourist fee or won't be able to board the plane. The immigration officers at STI custom counters won't validate the information on your US passport.
I am Dominican by birth, same my wife and my daughter. We have a hard time today at STI luckily we did provided cédula and birth certificate of our daughter but a lady behind me was refused as she didn't have cédula or the amount of money she was supposed to pay even when she is Dominican traveling on a US passport.
That's unconstitutional.

JJ
All non-residents are supposed to pay, whether you are a Dominican or not.

Reactions: MariaRubia

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Why would citizens be treated like non-residents?

My first thought about this was the $20.00 departure tax.

However, I think Bachata might be referring to the overstay fee. I know from personal experience that immigration officials at STI and SDQ have collected the fee for overstaying the tourist card when I had a valid visa good for a year in my passport.

The first time it happened I was going to my brother's funeral so I just paid the fee and tried to protest it later. I think the issue is simply that Migración sees a stay over 30 days and wants to collect the fee without differentiating between tourists, citizens and valid visa holders (all of whom do not need tourist cards in the first place).

Last edited:
Reactions: AlaPlaya

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Why would citizens be treated like non-residents?

My first thought about this was the $20.00 departure tax.

However, I think Bachata might be referring to the overstay fee. I know from personal experience that immigration officials at STI and SDQ have collected the fee for overstating the tourist card when I had a valid visa good for a year in my passport.

The first time it happened I was going to my brother's funeral so I just paid the fee and tried to protest it later. I think the issue is simply that Migración sees a stay over 30 days and wants to collect the fee without differentiating between tourists, citizens and valid visa holders (all of whom do not need tourist cards in the first place).
All I know is my Canadian passport gets put on a hold in Immigrations computer, and they remove the lock as soon as I show them my Cedula (citizen) . My stepson, who is Dominican with a Canadian passport was having to pay the fee until he got his cedula. Immigration told him all non-residents, Dominican or not are supposed to pay. Thats the tourist card. As far as overstay payment you would think the same rule would apply, but this is thew DR , anything is possible.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

He means the overstay fee. Mr AE has to show his cedula along with his USA passport, even though it says he was DR born. As we know, just being born in DR doesn’t mean you’re a citizen.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
My US passport say I was born in DR, Why do I have to show my cedula?

The lady behind me didn't have a cédula with her and didn't have the money to pay the fee RD $4,500. She probably missed her flight. She is a dual citizen DR / US.

They are retaining Americans citizens ellegally in DR.

Passport say born in Dominican Republic. She doesn't have to pay overstay fees.

JJ

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My US passport say I was born in DR, Why do I have to show my cedula?

The lady behind me didn't have a cédula with her and didn't have the money to pay the fee RD $4,500. She probably missed her flight. She is a dual citizen DR / US.

They are retaining Americans citizens ellegally in DR.

Passport say born in Dominican Republic. She doesn't have to pay overstay fees.

JJ

Because not everyone born in DR is a citizen. For example a child born of foreigners in DR (Haitian, European, American, Canadian, Martian) are not.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
He means the overstay fee. Mr AE has to show his cedula along with his USA passport, even though it says he was DR born. As we know, just being born in DR doesn’t mean you’re a citizen.
If you have an American passport that say born in DR You must have a legal Dominican birth certificate to validate you was born in DR at the time you go through US immigration processing paperwork.

My two cents.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
That is unconstitutional, that old Dominican lady on a wheel chair offered to pay $30. Dollars all the money she have with her but it was not enough they was asking $4,500. pesos.

JJ

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
All I know is my Canadian passport gets put on a hold in Immigrations computer, and they remove the lock as soon as I show them my Cedula (citizen) . My stepson, who is Dominican with a Canadian passport was having to pay the fee until he got his cedula. Immigration told him all non-residents, Dominican or not are supposed to pay. Thats the tourist card. As far as overstay payment you would think the same rule would apply, but this is thew DR , anything is possible.
Wow what differences ...... I just left and didn't need to show residency or cedula and wasn't asked to pay anything.... was quite surprised.... the guy scanned my passport and then stamped it ....... 3.5 yrs since I last left too.....
Returned the other day and breezed through immigration ......

• Wow
Reactions: bachata

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Wow what differences ...... I just left and didn't need to show residency or cedula and wasn't asked to pay anything.... was quite surprised.... the guy scanned my passport and then stamped it ....... 3.5 yrs since I last left too.....
Returned the other day and breezed through immigration ......
And what country is your passport from?

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
That is unconstitutional, that old Dominican lady on a wheel chair offered to pay $30. Dollars all the money she have with her but it was not enough they was asking $4,500. pesos.

JJ

Not everyone born in DR is a Dominican citizen. And everyone except for Dominican citizens and residents has to pay the exit fee. So it stands to reason you need to prove you are a Dominican citizen or resident when you exit.

I always show them my residency but I think they now have it stored in the system as they scan my passport and don't ask me for anything else.

Regarding the point about US residency, you could be born to Haitian parents in DR, they move to the US and get residency, now you get a US passport and were born in Dominican Republic but you still aren't a Dominican citizen. That's why immigration need to see proof of citizenship.

Let's face it US immigration officers are probably the rudest and most pedantic in the world, so how any US citizen can complain about Dominican immigration escapes me.

Reactions: Kricke87

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
In order to prove you was born in DR while doing dual citizenship you must provide not one but many different types of birth certificates you have to get an authorized lawyer translator, you need your parents birth certificates, you need police papel de buena conducta etc, etc...
How in the world USCIS i/ Home land security is going to stamp on a US passport born in DR if they don't have all theses documents.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Not everyone born in DR is a Dominican citizen. And everyone except for Dominican citizens and residents has to pay the exit fee. So it stands to reason you need to prove you are a Dominican citizen or resident when you exit.

I always show them my residency but I think they now have it stored in the system as they scan my passport and don't ask me for anything else.

Regarding the point about US residency, you could be born to Haitian parents in DR, they move to the US and get residency, now you get a US passport and were born in Dominican Republic but you still aren't a Dominican citizen. That's why immigration need to see proof of citizenship.

Let's face it US immigration officers are probably the rudest and most pedantic in the world, so how any US citizen can complain about Dominican immigration escapes me.
Haitians born in DR or elsewhere still Haitians by Haiti constitution.
US immigration officers are kindly everytime after I became a US citizen.
I arrived in Miami the before yesterday and don't even have to go though that long line of visitors or Green card holders.
Now I have Global entry so it takes me just minutes.

JJ

Reactions: bob saunders

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Any help from those familiar with extension to stay for tourist card beyond 30 days! I am looking to go for 90 days.
The usual information say that you just need 3 things: your photo passport and entry date stamp pages+ return ticket! But when I try to fill up the request form 2 additional information are needed: proof of solvency+ medical certificate
May I just leave it and wait at the airport and pay my fine of 2500 pesos at exit day? I am still within my 30 days! Thanks for any help

So many tourists overstay their visit that the airport at Santo Domingo, they have a poster of extension fees prominently displayed before passport control. You are allowed to pay in US dollars or Dominican Pesos