important announcement!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
from-paradise.blogspot.com
ok guys, how bout, we watch me go and lets see who was right?? then we can settle this whole convo and get to the bottom of this, because half the people are saying I WILL have a problem and i DONT listen,while other people are saying that i will NOT have a problem, and that when THEY went they didint question them...sooo the only way to settle this is wait for me to write via my laptop from the dominican and tell you guys what happened!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Yes keep us informed no matter what happens.

If it's customs and immigration that makes that decision it seems to be a hit and miss thing. Maybe they will check and maybe they won't but we can't advise people in the future to NOT get a return ticket if there is the slightest chance that they might have a problem. That would be irresponsible on our part.

It's not a matter of being right or wrong, it's a matter of giving out the right info to people that might not have enough money to buy another ticket at the airport and are now stuck because we gave the wrong info.

Good Luck ;)

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Anna - well said!!! You are absolutely right. The rules are you need a return ticket. Whether or not you get caught is up to LUCK.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
When I purchased my ticket back here from the UK for 31st October it did not occur to me that there may be a problem bringing my 17 year old stepson along on a one way ticket.... I am a resident so no problem but he isn't. FlyThomson.com sold me the tickets so were hardly going to question the fact that they were only singles, not returns, and no-one else queried it either, neither on departure from UK or arrival in DR.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Anna - well said!!! You are absolutely right. The rules are you need a return ticket. Whether or not you get caught is up to LUCK.
It should probably be remembered that 'The Rules' about two way tickets are made by the CANADIAN authorities & the airlines ..... NOT the Dominican Embassy. The Dominican Embassy works on a Dominican culture which is (within THEIR reasoning) to tell you what you WANT to hear, not what you NEED to hear. They will then disclaim any knowledge of having said what they said because they didn't & YOU must have misheard their information i.e. it will come down to YOUR fault. Check with the CANADIAN authorities & see what THEY say .............. Pretty please!! :bunny: :pirate:~ Grahame.

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
ok that last comment was really un necessary... and had nothing to do with this post, but just to make you happy: PUNTA CANA IN REPUBLICA DOMINICANA
to answer your questions, i did speak with the canadian authorities as well, and they said that it's not necessary for canadian citizens to get a round trip ticket...maybe its by country, or as you guys say by luck...
i dont think well ever get to the bottom of this, even if they do let me trough, it still wont answer our concerns weather to inform people to get a one way ticket or not because it depends of the country, the citizenship and the airline...but as i said i did my homework well i called every embassy and authority from both countries and i got the same response... Now unless they stop me and tell me other wise before or after i board, then we can come to the conclusion that the governement doesnt know anything..but until now we can't really determine and say that Yes its a known FACT that you need to buy a round trip ticket, because it can and it is diff for each country...
sighs... wish me luck

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
On the subject of attitude

Lesson #1) Attitudes don't work in the DR.They work in USA and Can. but for some crazy reason not in the DR.
#2 Sometimes there are more than 1 opinion. Sometimes people are lucky, sometimes other are unlucky.One passes a clerk not doing their job the other passes a clerk that is anal.
#3 Free advise doesn't cost a thing. One way tixs at the airport-same day departure--well, I can't afford it.
#4 There are an a lot of very smart, experienced people on this board, that know what they are talking about-with no axe to grind.

Not directed to any particular person-just some observation on this thread.

john

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
My take on the matter............

1. It is the country that you are visiting that may or may not require a return ticket.....(Look at the sites that say who needs and who doesn't need a visa, and within the information it usually states whether a return ticket is needed or not............)

2. Usually it is the airline that will give you a problem since every time a person shows up on the other side with incorrect or incomplete paperwork (if caught) the airline is fined a few thousand dollars for each incident.....

3. The "catching" is usually done at the immigration department at your destination...........and when they went from paper tickets to electronic alot of people were able to slip through by stating that it is an "electronic" ticket and WHEN IMMIGRATION in the DR started posting signs stating that you DON'T GIVE $$$$$ (NI DOLLAR, NI EUROS, NI PESO'S) ..........the immigration officers could care less about catching you....................since they aren't getting anything by "letting you pass"...........and "catching you" would probably require them to do more paperwork than they want to do without getting "compensated".......

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
10 years doing this message forum, millions of visitors, over 1/2 million posts and some posters still make me smile. I have lost count of how many "Miss Novembers" I have seen crash and burn :)

Hey MN, good luck. I hope it turns out for the best and that everything you have ever read or thought you knew about the DR comes true.

I'll get back to making some more humble pie....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Why Does The Phrase,"Like A Lamb To The Slaughter" Keep Running Through My Haed?

This thread is giving me "Deja vu" (All Over Again! Right "Yogi"?)
I have a 3 year old daughter that "Gets It" :cheeky:after I tell her something 3 or 4 times! But this young lady is in for trouble! May God Bless Her!
Cris Colon

caro

Sep 24, 2003

LUCK is the key work here .....

I come from montreal to POP in 2004 on a one way ticket no problem ...I friend of mine come 6 month later me and see I don t have problem do the same thing from the same place , same plane and same destination and guest what ???? here in pop she have to buy a return ticket . by the way not the less expensive .....come with alot of money because if is not your lucky day you will have to pay alot .

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Just to add another twist......

A few years back we decided to go to the States to visit with our son for Christmas before returning to SD.

Had a heck of a time getting on the plane to the states because we HAD a return ticket to SD however we weren't Dominican residents and AA didn't want to let us board without a return ticket to Canada (which we didn't have 'cause we'd come down on a charter and didn't use the return portion 'cause we were staying longer than the one week return!!!).
Couldn't quite figure that one out because we were leaving from SD with a return ticket to SD!!

Then there was the year we decided to stop in the states for a visit with same son before returning to Canada. Airline didn't want to board us because we didn't have a return ticket to SD but had a one way to Canada!!

Go figure!!!

I think a lot of it depends on the luck of the draw regardless of who's rules say what!!

So my advice would be.....buy a one way, make sure you have the funds to buy a return if needed and keep your work contact close at hand when getting on the plane for the flight down and when getting off the plane once here!

I will be meeting up with Miss November in late January, I will let you know how she is doing. I am not optomistic, her salary and what her employer projected as her commissions (high projection IMHO) might get her by.
I wish her luck and hope she makes it to the meet and greet on January 29th.

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
With this rate of rudness i dont know if id want to meet up, i am here simply stating an opinion, or question and your all bashing me telling me , im gonna crash and burn and im a lamb waiting to get slaughtrerd..some kind of "Help" u get on this site
good job guys keep up the GREAT work in controling who gets insulted and who doesnt!
and mr colon
im glad your daughter listens to you looking at her age she SHOULD listen to you, we will see when she grows old enough to have her own opinon ;) then u can compare her to my brain.
also TO THE POEPLE THAT KEEP saying they got trouble because they had no return ticket AND THEY ARE COMMING From the STATES go back and read the main starter subject CANADIAN CITIZENS DO NOT NEED A RETURN TICKET, AMERICNS DO! so if you got stopped and your stating your story here, it make sno diff because as i said american citizens need a return ticket
as usual this post will end up just like the majority of closed posts, bashed at one person
good job guys!
im out of this post

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Forget the couple of rude comments and try to remember the good advice you've been given in all your threads.

I think people have been more than helpful to you and we do want to know how you made out so don't stomp out like a child if you are an adult.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Sorry Anna can't resist

Miss N.--BTW before you leave let me have your address I have my grade school primer for Spelling to send you. Suggest you put it right along side Dale Carnige's book "How to Win Friends and Influence people"

Good Luck

Johnsittinginthesnowinny

Miss November

Oct 5, 2007
see anna, this is exactly what i mean!
Johne keep your books to yourself, i dont need it, but if you need i can give you some of my psychology books, including " what to say so people like me" havent red that one yet, but seems that it would fit your profile

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
From ANY of the VISA Sites:

Regarding a CANADIAN visiting the Dominican Republic:

National CANADA (CA)
Destination DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (DO)

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (DO)

Passport required.

Also accepted: original Birth Certificate or Birth Registration
Papers or military hospital issued Birth Certificate, provided:
- acommpanied by official photo ID (i.e driver's license); and
- travelling for touristic purposes.
However, it is strongly recommended to hold passport.

Note: children under 18 years of age are not required to hold
photo ID.

Warning: if departing from the U.S.A., a (valid) passport will
be required by U.S. Immigration authorities. For full listing
of accepted documents, see: TINEWS/N10 .

Visa not required for a max. stay of 30 days, provided holding
Tourist Card (issued on arrival). No photos required. Fee:
USD 10.-.
Extension possible for a stay of 90 days. Fee: DOP 62.40.
Further extensions possible.
Note: Tourist Card not required if born in Dominican Rep.

Visitor must hold:
- return or onward ticket (one-way ticket allowed if born in
Dominican Rep. or if being foreign minor, but travelling
with parents who are nationals of Dominican Rep.);
and
- all documents required for next destination.

Non-compliance with entry regulations will result in
deportation on same aircraft and carriers will be fined USD
1,000.- for transporting passengers with improper documents.

..............The above is from the Delta Airline Site..........there are many other sites which say the same thing also...........

Status
Not open for further replies.