Importing a 42 inch TV

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There are "TV's, and there are "TV;s"!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Not all are created equal.
Price depends on "Make", model, "features", and a lot more.
TV's sold "On Sale",at "Big Box" stores here, are older models, with less "features" than the latest models.
You Get What You Pay For!"
I have the distinct advantage of having poor eye site, and worse hearing, so the "Contrast, refresh rate ,conectability, and sound" make little difference to me.
I used to say "Buy There", but now I say, "Buy Here"!
Your TV bought there, has no guarantee HERE!
If it arrives damaged, you can spend the next several months fighting to see who will pay you for a replacement, or just buy a new TV here, "THEY", will NEVER pay you!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcc

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And above all, keep in mind that you could import the same TV 100 different times and get 100 different results. Such is the transparency of customs here.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Widguy is 100% right!
You might get the "Tuesday after noon, sunny, and Breezy" rate, or the "Sunday, rainy, calm" rate.
Or even the "Phucking Grigo con pantalla Larga" rate!
CCccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccCC

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
A warning on Panasonic, Toshiba and some other brands: I was told by several sales people at Plaza Lama and at La Sirena that they no longer honor most manufacturer warranties on LCD/LED TV other than Sony and LG because most brands (even the ones they sell here) do not have the proper voltage regulator installed for our bad electrical system. Right or wrong, it's their policies so double check the warranty and make sure it's in WRITING and from the manufacturer, not just the store...

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
To the OP,

You've gotten some really good advice here. If at all possible, get a refund on the one you have, and buy one locally. They'll deliver and install it for you, and you won't have to stress out over taxes and warranty issues. If you can't do that, then look at an importer. Sure, it'll take a bit longer, but you'll likely save a good bit of change.

But Criss, Tambo, and Windy know what they're talking about. Their free advice could save you quite a bit of change.

Either way, good luck. :glasses:

Drob

Feb 20, 2011
To the OP,

You've gotten some really good advice here. If at all possible, get a refund on the one you have, and buy one locally. They'll deliver and install it for you, and you won't have to stress out over taxes and warranty issues. If you can't do that, then look at an importer. Sure, it'll take a bit longer, but you'll likely save a good bit of change.

But Criss, Tambo, and Windy know what they're talking about. Their free advice could save you quite a bit of change.

Either way, good luck. :glasses:

Drob

I have, over the last 2 years on many, many flights, brought with me most of the "stuff" we have now in our condos.
Most of it fit in suitcases but even computers, printer, etc have never been a problem amd I never had to pay any import tax.

Locally we bought of course all the large appliances, furniture, etc.

For all the household "stuff", the price was not even the reason I bought it "up north", rather it was much easier to find and buy than looking for all of it in Bavaro or to go all the way to Santo Domingo.

I guess for this TV now my only remaining real concern is if it would be "dead on arrival" for warranty reasons.
Other than that, going by what I have read here, even with tax at the airport I'll come out ahead.
The airlines covers up to $ 1,500 in case of transport damage and setting up the TV is child's play, have done that many times.
It's also lighter, about 30 or so lbs than a "packed" suitcase, so getting it to and from the airports is really no problem.

Thanks, I will give an update here about how it went with customs at PUJ.:classic:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
PAY ATTENTION, it does not matter what you paid for it, it could have been FREE, they look up the model in a book and whack you over the head with a tax, get it? It is at least $500, maybe more, I do not know the exact amount, I do not work in Aduana, wait for a more precise answer. It still may be much cheaper to ship it via a mundanza.

In Canada, call Peralta Bros to check it out.... they just did rendul's shipment w/o a hitch.

I shipped my TV by mudanza..... my recent one. they don't break out the bribes for you - it just gets lumped in.

Oftentimes, at the holidays , they cut back on the duty/tax issue
Believe it or not, they do...... more as favor to the incoming Dominicans I guess

That's been posted here before - don't take my word for it.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Give you an Idea At least , I got this at the end of October from BM Cargo to Puerto Plata

I don't make things up....BTW[/QUOTE]

SERVICIO CANT. LIBRAS TARIFA PRECIO ITBIS TOTAL

FLETE SERV. EXPRESS 1 24.3 105.60 2,566.14 10.58 2,976.72
DGA SERVICIOS 1 116.20 0.00 116.20
FUEL SURCHARGE PE 1 532.60 0.00 532.60
AIRPORT FEE 1 58.10 0.00 58.10
GASTOS OPERATIVOS 1 3,000.00 480.00 3,480.00
INSURANCE 1 127.12 0.00 127.12
Factura RD 6,400.16 890.58 7,290.74

TELEVISION 32''
VALOR US$ 319.00
PESO 24.30LBS
DIMENSIONES 34 X 23 X 4.80

That Looks a Lot Better When I Spent 5 Minutes Putting in the spaces !

Bottom Line was $RD7290.74 to Import a $319 TV From Miami

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks for the quote info jojo. As I understand it the price they charge for taxes and duty is based upon the size of the TV and not the amount you paid. If I paid $199 for a 32 inch TV today, the price would still be $RD7,290.74 which $17 less than the price of the TV to get it here if nothing else changed.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes , Windy
You did that calculation for me and we decided that my Samsung 32" LED was $750 more in RD than in USA.

My whole shipment of 8 items was $750 to ship.... stereo, weedwhacker, etc.
Effectively a wash... in my favour

The OP originates in Canada, that confuses things somewhat b/c the mudanza market is smaller - Peralta Bros in Toronto.

If the TV can be carried/cargoed on WestJet...... do it.
And just talk, smile and walk your way thru customs:bandit:

That's my nickel's worth.......

Feb 20, 2011
If the TV can be carried/cargoed on WestJet...... do it.
And just talk, smile and walk your way thru customs

That's the plan...lol

I have taken over time almost everything we have in our two condos with me on the plane - you name it; small and medium kitchen appliances, table ware, bedding, curtains, computers, printers, decorations, once even a 140 pounds workstation, taken apart and shipped in two suitcases plus one taped-together package lots of trips but worth it in the end.
Never paid any tax so far and certainly never used a shipping company because I own a logistics company and wouldn't want those banditos :bandit: make money of me, lol

Will see have it goes...;)

gandolf50

Apr 17, 2011
As a reference , yesterday we bought a 32" LCD on sale for $199 U$D. $217 with tax. Today AA charged $40 U$D for transport (NY to STI). No Aduanas. Total cost $257.USD to STI airport.

Jan 17, 2009
The back of the customs forms indicates that you can bring presents for up to $500 in value every three months. So, can someone tell me why a TV could not be brought as present as long as the cost of it is less than $500?

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
projector -

An HD projector is the way to go. You can get a top quality 1080p model for US$600 to US$800 and carry it in a backpack since it's not much bigger than an old school VCR. The only downside is once you get a quality projector you will be very dissatisfied looking at televisions.

There are "TV's, and there are "TV;s"!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Not all are created equal.
Price depends on "Make", model, "features", and a lot more.
TV's sold "On Sale",at "Big Box" stores here, are older models, with less "features" than the latest models.
You Get What You Pay For!"
I have the distinct advantage of having poor eye site, and worse hearing, so the "Contrast, refresh rate ,conectability, and sound" make little difference to me.
I used to say "Buy There", but now I say, "Buy Here"!
Your TV bought there, has no guarantee HERE!
If it arrives damaged, you can spend the next several months fighting to see who will pay you for a replacement, or just buy a new TV here, "THEY", will NEVER pay you!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcc

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Much of Plaza Lama and other retailers' stock is refurbished merchandise sold at double the first quality price. Check the serial numbers and date of manufacture and see for yourselves. It's not necessarily a bad thing as long as you get a warranty - - but DavidZ is right about warranty problems.

A warning on Panasonic, Toshiba and some other brands: I was told by several sales people at Plaza Lama and at La Sirena that they no longer honor most manufacturer warranties on LCD/LED TV other than Sony and LG because most brands (even the ones they sell here) do not have the proper voltage regulator installed for our bad electrical system. Right or wrong, it's their policies so double check the warranty and make sure it's in WRITING and from the manufacturer, not just the store...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The price you paid, and the sales receipt, mean absolutely nothing to DR Customs.
They have "The Book" which they say is the "Value" of your purchase.
You pay what they say, not what you should!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC