Importing a 42 inch TV

gandolf50

Apr 17, 2011
We just brought down a new 32" from N.Y. and American only charged $40 extra for the TV. $220 for the TV, $40 for "shipping" total cost to bring down a NEW 32" $260. Why pay so much to bring down a old one??????????????

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I imported a 32" with DVD player which cost about $379 and payed duty and taxes of approximately $300.

LTSteve

Did you bring the TV on a flight with you or did you use a shipper. It seems everyone has a different experience. One poster claims to bring in a TV duty free, another poster recently only paid $100 import fee, you paid $300, and I get a quote of $350.

If it wasn't for the fact I have an excellent TV doing nothing I would probably just buy another one here.

gandolf50

Apr 17, 2011
Did you bring the TV on a flight with you or did you use a shipper. It seems everyone has a different experience. One poster claims to bring in a TV duty free, another poster recently only paid $100 import fee, you paid $300, and I get a quote of $350.

If it wasn't for the fact I have an excellent TV doing nothing I would probably just buy another one here.

Why dont you just pack it up and bring it with you? The airlines don't charge much and if it obviously used I doubt they would charge you anything. Mine was new and they did not charge. They didn't even ask for a receipt or anything!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you imported the same TV 10 times, you would probably pay a different fee each time. Such is the transparency of DR customs.

If you bring it yourself on an air plane, you roll the dice on what that customs official that day will charge you.

If you have it sent by a door to door shipper, they quote you exactly what you will pay upon delivery.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
ok so if I want to bring some stuff with me in my suitcases using Westjet airplace (Canada to Punta Cana) I shouldn't pay any tax? A 30" monitor + Custom made computer

Does it have to be in a suitcase absolutely, if it's in a box or something will I get check by customs at punta cana and need to pay tax?

Noob here, sorry if this have been explain before.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You will never know, until you actually pass through customs here.
The "Rules" change every few minutes.
For the last 5 years, arriving in Santo Domingo at 4 am, they just stare at everyone as we walk out.
They hate to be woken from their deep REM sleep.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
CC is right. If you brought in the same item 100 times, your results might be different each time.

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
My wife just came through POP earlier this month with a 26" Emerson new, and a 32" Emerson used about a year or so. Total bill was 5000 pesos from the not so nice gentlemen (according to her) at customs. Guess they were a little rough on a blonde chick who argued with them in Spanish and didn't like their tone of voice.

last time we went we brought 4 suitcases of musical instruments and stuff, we were leaving it in storage till we came back (tomorrow) The one guy asked me are you leaving it here? I said what i don't understand you...and he just shrugged and let us go. (i did understand him) I wonder what will happen tomorrow with our stuff ;-) It's like a big surprise!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It is ALWAYS better to take what you bring into the DR with you from the airport.
When you go back to pick anything up, they will examine everything.
First they will have to find your stuff, big hassle!
Then they seem obligated to do "something", which usually means charge you a rediculous customs fee.
Good Luck!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chris Dogan

Nov 6, 2012
www.twitter.com
Got a quote from EPS for a package that weighs 40pds and has dimensions of 36 x 8 x 26 i would be looking at $5,548.53 pesos. it will cost me 40.00 USD to have it shipped from houston to miami, and EPS takes it to santo domingo from there. biggest concern is what the charges will be once it hits customs, but since i've priced a few 32" there seems like it'll be cheaper just to have it shipped. How can i tell whether or not my TV will work with the DR's electricty grid?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Got a quote from EPS for a package that weighs 40pds and has dimensions of 36 x 8 x 26 i would be looking at $5,548.53 pesos. it will cost me 40.00 USD to have it shipped from houston to miami, and EPS takes it to santo domingo from there. biggest concern is what the charges will be once it hits customs, but since i've priced a few 32" there seems like it'll be cheaper just to have it shipped. How can i tell whether or not my TV will work with the DR's electricty grid?

The TV will work if it uses 110V AC 60 Cycle power which means any TV you purchase in the US.

As for customs duties, you could import that TV 10 times and pay a different duty each time.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My advice is to buy a TV here.
No shipping, customs, and you "might" be able to get it fixed if it breaks.
If you ship a TV, and it doesn't work when it gets here, "Who Ya Gonna Call?"
A 32" TV will fit in a large suit case, if you are coming yourself.
32" LCD TVs are about $350 US here right now, depending on the model.
If you are sending it as a "Gift" to a Dominican "Friend", DON"T!
They will probably just sell it anyway.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
My advice is to buy a TV here.
No shipping, customs, and you "might" be able to get it fixed if it breaks.
If you ship a TV, and it doesn't work when it gets here, "Who Ya Gonna Call?"
A 32" TV will fit in a large suit case, if you are coming yourself.
32" LCD TVs are about $350 US here right now, depending on the model.
If you are sending it as a "Gift" to a Dominican "Friend", DON"T!
They will probably just sell it anyway.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Few weeks ago I brought old LG 32" from my old desk for our factory use(it had no sound and HDMI ports did not work). At STI I was prepared to dump it on spot but it scanned thru without any issue. I guess the machine or employees were off that day. Now it's mounted on our reception and prepared to hook up one of dvr.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
And above all, keep in mind that you could import the same TV 100 different times and get 100 different results. Such is the transparency of customs here.

You will never know, until you actually pass through customs here.
The "Rules" change every few minutes..............

So true....................

Just recently passed through customs with a 32" LED TV. I paid absolutely nothing at customs. First I was directed to the scanner. Once all my luggage was scanned the agent directed me to the inspection table. She wanted to inspect the one piece of luggage that had my "USDA beef". Once she saw it was no more than beef in the foil lined package she politely wished me a nice visit and waved me on.

Total import fee for 32" TV.......... $0.00 USD............YMMV

BTW, the TV was in the original cardboard box and not hidden in a piece of luggage.

mmilone

Mar 25, 2003
May sound funny, but you're better off having a Dominican bring it down during the grace period, which I know is during the holidays. The taxes are waived during this period. My girl and I shipped 2 of them down last year through one of the Dominican shipping companies located here in N.J., and the price was ridiculous; I think the same as we paid for the T.V's. I'll ask my girl to refresh my memory, but I could swear it was like $400. each. Obviously, they handle the tax situation. But, as you said, it's still cheaper than buying the t.v. in D.R.