Importing a classic car from the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How much ground clearance will it have?

It will really have enough to take the Touristic Highway from the POP are to Santiago or are you just staying on the main highway? These are two very different routes with very different conditions. If you want rough, take the Touristic Highway and let us know how that goes. On the normal highway, I do imagine that car would make it with only a few slowdowns and the occasional pot hole at the present time. But don't expect any road here to be well maintained in the future.

Llego Papa!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Racing Rev is obviously in for some life lessons. We all have to live and learn.

Rev, are you coming from Kansas?

Harley's the wrong tool for the job here.

Kind of figured that. Are there any Yamaha XS650s or the like? Maybe a Triumph? I am nit about practicality for my toys. As a DD I use an explorer SportTrac.

BTW I have driven around the island. Apart from SD (too many people) the only other place I would not take my car is Torre Alta in POP. Never saw speed bumps that high!

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
BTW I have driven around the island. Apart from SD (too many people) the only other place I would not take my car is Torre Alta in POP. Never saw speed bumps that high!
Take a wrong turn anywhere on the island and you can find potholes large enough to garage your car. Try a ride to Munoz. If the potholes don't get you, better bring a snorkel for crossing the river bridge.

Last time I was there in May I saw plenty of HDs. Why do you feel they can't be ridden there. I used to ride up a dirt Holler all the time. Where I am originally from makes the Rural DR seem nice. We still have outhouses at some friends houses and one of my girlfriends in highschool used to ave to use a washtub for bathing.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Kind of figured that. Are there any Yamaha XS650s or the like? Maybe a Triumph? I am nit about practicality for my toys. As a DD I use an explorer SportTrac.
F800GS
XL700V
DL650
XT660Z
XRV750

Adventure bikes are perfect for virtually all the conditions of the DR. My bias is the DL650.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Last time I was there in May I saw plenty of HDs. Why do you feel they can't be ridden there.
I never said they can't be ridden here. A unicycle can be rideen here. You can rebuild a Ferrari engine with a pair of pliers and screwdriver too.

The roads here are brutal. The hazards are numerous. The "right tool for the job" is rugged, mechanically bullet-proof, dependable, miserly, quick responses to rider input, great ground clearance, long suspension play with shock adjustment, etc.

But opinions vary...

How much ground clearance will it have?

It will really have enough to take the Touristic Highway from the POP are to Santiago or are you just staying on the main highway? These are two very different routes with very different conditions. If you want rough, take the Touristic Highway and let us know how that goes. On the normal highway, I do imagine that car would make it with only a few slowdowns and the occasional pot hole at the present time. But don't expect any road here to be well maintained in the future.

Llego Papa!

I take the touristic highway. Nothing there that I haven't driven in before. I remember when I was 16 I high sided my 1971 Corvette on the center between two ruts. I used to take my TransAm off road all the time. I guess you guys are too used to civilization. :p

The Fiero has about 6" of clearance and the Corvette had 4". You have to plan carefully but you can get them almost anywhere. I usually carry some steel to drive on if I know I going off road.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Not really worth it - set and example as a Reverend - use an electric bicycle and conserve God's earth.

You'll never get to heaven ..... in a Pink Cadillac so the song goes.

pi2.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
God gives Man the knowledge to fix what he destroys. We are here but a short time. Enjoy it.

We are not allowed to discuss religion in normal forums of DR1. I do agree with your second and third sentences, just not the first.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I never said they can't be ridden here. A unicycle can be rideen here. You can rebuild a Ferrari engine with a pair of pliers and screwdriver too.

The roads here are brutal. The hazards are numerous. The "right tool for the job" is rugged, mechanically bullet-proof, dependable, miserly, quick responses to rider input, great ground clearance, long suspension play with shock adjustment, etc.

But opinions vary...

You had me thinking of my ex-wife there for a moment, until I got back to the subject...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The DLs are great. I friend of mine rides the daylights out of his. Just not my style.
People are different. Some want style. Others want substance.

My bias is substance.

I have 11 DL650's here in the DR. From a purely utilitarian perspective, the number of motorcycles that offer higher utility for the DR is very, very short...if such a list can be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.