importing wheels and tires to the DR?

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
I'm wondering if anybody has had any experience wheels and tires to the Dominican Republic before?
I'd like to import 5 sets...

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
hook up with somebody that brings in a container. Otherwise i do not see how this could make any sence financially.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'm wondering if anybody has had any experience wheels and tires to the Dominican Republic before?
I'd like to import 5 sets...
5 sets, or a set of 5?

A rim will run around 30-35 lbs each, a tire runs about 30-50 lbs. each. Food for thought

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I once imported a set of brand new Bridgestone tyres using Encargopaq Maritime shipping service. I found it to be economically viable. I knew that the tyres I purchased in the US were brand new and had very little shelf life.

When I checked the price of new Bridgestones at a reputable tyre centre in Santiago, Hysla I asked to look at them. Yes they had never been used, but the manufacture date was over over five years old.

Tyres do have a best before date, even if they've not been used. The US and Europe have strict rules on selling shelf life expired tyres. UK regulations state that a tyre can not be sold as new if the manufacture date is older than five years. The DR does not, that's why there are so many old tyres for sale as new here. In typical Dominican rip off style, tyre dealers sell you life expired tyres at extortionate prices.

One of the few places that sell decent tyres is Pricesmart, in my experience. But they have limited sizes for popular vehicles only. If you drive something with a rare tyre size, I would go for importing. One thing I don't skimp on, my whole driving life is cheap tyres. Your life depends on them.

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
life expired tyres
I am in the tyre recycling and export business. Having personally inspected hundreds of thousands of used tyres almost daily over the last 12 years and can say that the main aging factor is exposure to sunlight. The UV radiation of the sun breaks up the macromolecules of the rubber which leads to porosity.
Have seen 20 year old unused tyres that were stored wrapped in blankets. The looked and smelled like new.
Porosity (aging) greatly depends on the rubber mix. Some models seems to be immun to porosity, like Dunlop Sport, others are considered scrap after 4 to 7 years like Michelin Energy. The Michelin Pilot series with the same profile as Michelin Energy are not as delicate.
My observation over the last years (and of others in this business) is that many new tyres get porous faster. My suspicion is that recycled rubber flour is mixed in now, however Michelin writes that they use only 100 percent natural rubber.

In short: when buying older new tyres, check for porosity by pressing on the sides.
Stick to premium brands like Michelin, Bridgestone, Continental, Goodyear, Pirelli.

Alexander

Reactions: beeza

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My US car has very few miles but turned 7 last year..... original tires.

I swapped them off......

I have imported lots of tires here..... never bought any tires here...... buy right on sale, add $30-35 each to ship and I have still saved money.

In this wheel/tire combo, they'll come mounted and balanced........good idea

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
My US car has very few miles but turned 7 last year..... original tires.

I swapped them off......

I have imported lots of tires here..... never bought any tires here...... buy right on sale, add $30-35 each to ship and I have still saved money.

In this wheel/tire combo, they'll come mounted and balanced........good idea

There's a company in the UK that sells wheel and tire packages for my specific make and model of car. The new tires are balanced on the new aftermarket wheels, which is great. However, the company they use is TNT/Fed-Ex and the maximum pallet os 68kg (149 pounds)

So, can you share with us how you were able import "wheel/tire combo" into the DR "economically?"

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I posted I import tires only...... via aa mudanza from NYC.... never done wheels

Any US based tire/wheel company will work too..... thru a mudanza

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
5 sets, or a set of 5?

A rim will run around 30-35 lbs each, a tire runs about 30-50 lbs. each. Food for thought

total of 5 special Goodyear tires and 5 aftermarket wheels - includes the spare that's on the back door of the Suzuki Jimny