Industrial floor sander - Rental?

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
Hey everyone,

Does anyone in SD know where I can rent an industrial floor sander for wood floors?

I have asked at a few rental places and they just look at me like I am crazy! I have been to two just past Carrefour and the one behind Diamond mall - hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction

Thanks

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am pretty sure the only industrial floor cleaner you will find here is called jacques pie and speaks creole.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Uncommon

A machine (8" sanding drum type?) of that nature is rare and would be uncommon for rent here. You have to consider most of the floor construction on this island is of cement and tile. Wooden floors do exist. The sanding of these floors, if done, would be manually by hand or with electric hand sanders. There is little demand for industrial sanding equipment of that type you are looking for. There is an abundant supply of manual laborers who would do the task.

The amount of money and time seeking a machine would be better put to use by hiring hand laborers.

You may want to opt to phone contractors and inquire if they have the equipment, then go from there.

Regards,

PJT

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They sand /polish all types of stone here.... is that machine compatible with wood floor sanding.

They use the hand sander on their knees as PJT says.....and are good at it.

Sanding a floor will be easy.... they clear acres of land by hand, one leaf or blade of grass at a time !!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Floormax 1,600 Watt

We have a heavy duty Hoover "Floormax" commercial floor machine which we used to smooth and polish our natural tile ('lajas') floors.
It is an older machine, strong as an elephant (14.5Amp; weight 93 lbs.; 300 RPM), they don't make them any more like that...
The discs have a diameter of 20" and my workers mounted grinding stones on them...
The machine was also used for cleaning and stripping (bristle/nylon discs) and waxing stone floors. It has a HD 50-foot cable.

We do not rent it, but may consider selling it.

donP

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Bane to wooden floors

Disc type sanders are the bane to wooden floors because the circular motion of the spinning disc scores the wood in a direction inconsistent to the direction of the wood grain. Belt sanders or the industrial drum sanders properly used finish the wood in the direction of the wood grain without the unsightly scoring.

Regards,

PJT

May 29, 2006
You'd want a belt sander for wood floors or you'll end up going across the grain. I've rented a big one in the US and they weigh well over a 100 pounds. The rental wasn't as big of a cost as the sandpaper(at several dollars each), but I was doing a very large area. If you're doing around 200 sqft or less, you'd be better off with a hand belt sander and cheap labor to do it. Be sure to wear a mask and use a dust bag, esp if there is old finish that you are taking up. Shellac dust is not something you want to be breathing in.

I'd look for a local finish carpenter who might have a handheld one for furniture work.

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
Thanks for the responses guys - I have a hand belt sander but we are talking close to 200 sq meters... Im guessing it will just burn it out. Dam ahh well will keep looking I suppose - thanks for the help

Chris