Innocent

Status
Not open for further replies.

paintedlbird7

Mar 8, 2012
What about babies, what do they get out of it besides applying for a visa when the child turns 21, if the child sponsors him? :ermm:

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
The reasons below are assuming that the relationship is not based soley on love but that monetary considerations are in play as well:

if it is a local woman with an expat man the baby can be a means of trying to secure money each month through child support

if it is a local man with an expat woman the baby is a macho bragging point

for either gender having a child with an expat increases the chances of the expat being blinded by love a little longer and that the expats are more likely to try harder to bring the partner to their country of origin - if the expats don't stay blinded by love long enough to get the visa they at least have the reasons listed above

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You got to see the baby!
[video=youtube;rkadtxlCRU4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkadtxlCRU4[/video]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
What about babies, what do they get out of it besides applying for a visa when the child turns 21, if the child sponsors him? :ermm:

POWER. this is what they get. power over the mother and a child. if the mother is foolish enough to give birth in DR and double foolish to register the child with father's name she is f**ked. when (or if, maybe, sometimes) the relationship goes bust she will not be able to take the kid out the country without father's permit. and a father will want a nice lump of money for his signature (providing he can write, that is).

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
POWER. this is what they get. power over the mother and a child. if the mother is foolish enough to give birth in DR and double foolish to register the child with father's name she is f**ked. when (or if, maybe, sometimes) the relationship goes bust she will not be able to take the kid out the country without father's permit. and a father will want a nice lump of money for his signature (providing he can write, that is).

For a mother to leave the country with baby, is it a form the father has to fill out, or just a legal document typed up by a lawyer? Can't the mother just forge his signature, I know that is not legal, but would she Be easily caught?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
For a mother to leave the country with baby, is it a form the father has to fill out, or just a legal document typed up by a lawyer? Can't the mother just forge his signature, I know that is not legal, but would she Be easily caught?

if all it took to take the child away from the country was crooked jose perez scribbled on a piece of brown paper torn off the bag that previously housed presidente bottle there would be no tears and drama of gringas and gringos. and there would be lot more pretty mocca-skinned kids being taken away from DR by couples unable to bear children and desperate to have one sans years of paperwork and legal procedures.

having said that: surely, when there's will there's a way. if one has enough money and contacts signatures can be forged and notario can be bought. or, of course, one could always off the stubborn parent. depends of the level of desperation, i guess.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Not sure if I agree, dv8

Many people report that no-one looks at the letter, which was my case. (And I have a lovely "mocca" colored one, and I'm not, well, "mocca":p).

Now, I do think the Dominican authorities take every precaution to make sure that the child is yours, not someone else's, but I think they overlook the "single parent traveling alone could be a parental abduction angle."

I would say that a foreigner, returning to their country of origin where both parent and child hold passports are likely to fall under the radar. Sadly believe that it's way too easy to travel without the other parent's permission, don't think you need to go to extreme of forgery. It's much easier to play dumb about knowing that you need a letter, in the unlikely event that you are asked. Perhaps it would be harder for long-term residents in the DR.

All hypothetical to the OP, who doesn't even have a child yet!

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
OP = "original poster" or "original post".

It refers to the original post(er) in a thread.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
What if baby is born in US & US citizen. Does he/she still need permission by the father to leave DR?

Forunately, the DR isn't Saudia Arabia, the Hague convention does apply. Many will argue that although the DR is a signer, they don't comply.

You can't even just get a US passport for a minor child without both parents being present (or written permission from the other). In order for you to leave the US with the child, you'll need his permission, unless he's travelling with you, regardless of whether you are together, married, divorced, or never married. That permission to leave the US, would most likely include your return date, so he'd have given you permission to leave in advance.

Solo Parent Alert: Documents for Travel with a Minor

Now, if something happens, and he changes his mind, you are NOT likely to outsmart a Dominican who wants to stop you from doing something on their home turf. If you mess with the wrong person, you'll have many more things to worry about.

If you want a sperm donor, or just want to raise the child yourself, don't bother putting the father on the birth certificate, it'll be easier in the long run.

You're either a troll, or not thinking clearly. You report that he's being petitioned by his mother, he wants a baby with you, although you've never met him in person, but you won't marry him or give him papers. You don't have money, and neither does he (as it would take him a year to save up enough for a plane ticket) so are you planning on living with him in the Dominican Republic?

If you really think about it, is this the circumstances you'd want your child to be born into? I know there are no gurantees, but even your heart is telling you to stay clear.

You're not listening to your own little voice, we can't really help you.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
What if baby is born in US & US citizen.. Does he/she still need permission by the father to leave DR?

The easiest way around this is to not put him down as the father on the American birth certificate and don't fill out any paperwork for the child's Dominican citizenship. Then take the birth certificate with you when you travel - he has no proof he is the child's father.

BUT.......

Why on earth would you consider having a baby with a man that you barely know and don't trust and then think about him being part of the baby's life? If you want a bit of fun instead of a sperm bank fine but once you have what you want drop him asap. If you want a "daddy" for your baby then get in a supportive stable relationship with a man that doesn't carry all this drama.

Mi dos centavos.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
kinds, yes he does say that he wants to have a child with me..... I know it sounds crazy

Doesn't sound crazy to me, sounds like a Dominican tiguere.

How many children does he already have, and what does he do to support them?

Having children and taking care of them are two entirely different things.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
traditionally, i will start from: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!
i can only come to to the conclusion that OP is a medio polovo (half-wit) and that is putting it gently and politely.
if a man, any man, gets told by a woman he barely knows that she wants to have a baby with him he'll say "call you tomorrow", pack his bags and move to yukon. but god forbid a stupid woman hears the same from some dude she spent about five minutes with! she'll be, like, "here's my uterus, PUT IT IN!!!"
i rest my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.