Insect Screens

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
to mrs whirleybird
the large ferreteria on the way out of carburetor on the left going to sosua has a selection of netting in various widths - he will take you down into the basement to show you what hes got

Useful advice John and thank you, assuming you mean on the road from Cabarete to Sosua - not sure I want to see what he has got but certainly would like to see his range of flyscreen material. :surprised

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Another problem with screens, aside from dogs :)

is that most frames here are so poorly fitted/made that there are always gaps that allow mosquitos in.

We have all our windows and doors screened but still have our share of mosquitos in the house.

Having a skanky, mosquito breeding lagoon across the street at an abandoned construction site doesn't help.....:paranoid::ermm:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Sky,
You seem to have very good information. Do you think that if the government was approached along the lines of say a drive to reduce the threat of malaria and dengue by getting windows screened that would prompt the locals to demand screens?

As said by others... NO!

Dominicans seem to only know how to open doors, not close them behind them.

I constantly have to close doors behind them everytime they come to the house. I built a house for the in-laws with screening, they leave the doors open all day and at night until they go to bed.

Asking them to do otherwise is a waste of time.

Don SantiagoDR

J

John Evans

tip
take a tape measure and allow for at least two inches extra in all directions

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Sky,
You seem to have very good information. Do you think that if the government was approached along the lines of say a drive to reduce the threat of malaria and dengue by getting windows screened that would prompt the locals to demand screens?

It's a possibility; but not in all places...

This isn't a bad idea to promote with officials...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It's a possibility; but not in all places...

This isn't a bad idea to promote with officials...

'ta loco tu???? :)

At least 80% of the homes in this country are made out of palm wood with large (>6") spaces left between the roof and the top of the wall. Not only that the palm wood is very irregular and many spaces are left on the interior and exterior walls. The doors are equally porous as well. See an example below from the inlaw's house.

2wrqkhl.jpg

leekiv

Mar 5, 2007
Question

is that most frames here are so poorly fitted/made that there are always gaps that allow mosquitos in.

We have all our windows and doors screened but still have our share of mosquitos in the house.

Having a skanky, mosquito breeding lagoon across the street at an abandoned construction site doesn't help.....:paranoid::ermm:

Sorry to go off topic but I seem to remember you Momma talking about the mosquito Magnate ! Do you use it in the DR and if so does it work well? Or was it another product you where using?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
'ta loco tu???? :)

At least 80% of the homes in this country are made out of palm wood with large (>6") spaces left between the roof and the top of the wall. Not only that the palm wood is very irregular and many spaces are left on the interior and exterior walls. The doors are equally porous as well. See an example below from the inlaw's house.

2wrqkhl.jpg

That's 80% in the campos maybe, 95% of homes in the City of Santiago and Santo Domingo de Guzman are built with cinder blocks and concrete roofs...

:ninja:

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Let me explain something to most folks here:

Samana, Puerto Plata, La Romana, etc... Were never cities to themselves, but always considered campos close to the sea...

When you think of the DR and all the provinces don't try and compare them to the same rule of other countries. In the DR there are two big cities only and the rest is pretty much campo still.

The influx of foreigners that have come to the DR and made those coastal cities home; is what has added to the growth as cities to those campos.

Santiago for example has grown horizontally unlike the D.N. of Santo Domingo.

When I hold a conversation with anyone about the DR and we touch on cities, I make it a point to speak of the two mentioned above; the rest is "montes y culebras".

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
That's 80% in the campos maybe, 95% of homes in the City of Santiago and Santo Domingo de Guzman are built with cinder blocks and concrete roofs...

:ninja:

You must have forgotten that I live here in Santiago. Thre is no way on God's green earth that 95% of the homes here in Santiago have concrete roofs - or have you forgotten El Ejido, Pueblo Nuevo, La Joya, Bella Vista, etc etc etc?