Interceptor has arrived

Dixbim

Apr 21, 2012
Promote a diet free of ink and cardboard. Better for locals, better for health, better for environment.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

An absolute waste of time, funds and energy.

Until people are educated and plastic is banned, it's a lost cause. We lived without plastic and styrofoam before, and it can be done again. But I don't think that will ever happen in the DR. They're going to let the island become a complete dump, beyond repair. Only when tourism drops to nothing because of the garbage, will they get it. But then it's too late.

Reactions: CDNBear

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
An absolute waste of time, funds and energy.

Until people are educated and plastic is banned, it's a lost cause. We lived without plastic and styrofoam before, and it can be done again. But I don't think that will ever happen in the DR. They're going to let the island become a complete dump, beyond repair. Only when tourism drops to nothing because of the garbage, will they get it. But then it's too late.

Now that was a start to a very cherry morning. One opinion only type guy and if y'all don't follow my opinion it will be the end of the world.Throw the technology in the basura as well. LOL

May your heart be filled with hope not despair.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Now that was a start to a very cherry morning. One opinion only type guy and if y'all don't follow my opinion it will be the end of the world.Throw the technology in the basura as well. LOL

May your heart be filled with hope not despair.

The garbage problem in the DR didn't start yesterday. Do you see an end in sight? Do you see any education taking place with kids? And do you actually think this silly machine is going to make the island pretty?

No despair here. If it gets much worse, I'll just be gone. Which is what a lot of people will do.

• Wow

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The garbage problem in the DR didn't start yesterday. Do you see an end in sight? Do you see any education taking place with kids? And do you actually think this silly machine is going to make the island pretty?

No despair here. If it gets much worse, I'll just be gone. Which is what a lot of people will do.

While I agree with you that there is a huge problem, seeing the young protesters cleaning up before and after their demonstrations gives me hope

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

There is plenty of education efforts put towards medio ambiente , but seems soon as the kids are back on the streets they go back to the old habits they learned from their parents. Every morning I find all sorts of trash in front of the school. Yes, I pick it up and into our garbage cans. If I caught a kid throwing down their chip bag...etc I make them pick it up and put it in the garbage. Last year I caught two boys throwing their garbage into the neighbours yard. I made them pick up all the garbage outside the school for three recess breaks- they use the garbage cans now. Education plus enforcement is what it takes and it works for about 80% of people; the other 20% will do whatever they want regardless of the consequences.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

You can leave at anytime. It's not your country, is it? And you probably don't have one bit of say in any matter of high importance. do you? So leave.
Adios.:)

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
There is plenty of education efforts put towards medio ambiente , but seems soon as the kids are back on the streets they go back to the old habits they learned from their parents. Every morning I find all sorts of trash in front of the school. Yes, I pick it up and into our garbage cans. If I caught a kid throwing down their chip bag...etc I make them pick it up and put it in the garbage. Last year I caught two boys throwing their garbage into the neighbours yard. I made them pick up all the garbage outside the school for three recess breaks- they use the garbage cans now. Education plus enforcement is what it takes and it works for about 80% of people; the other 20% will do whatever they want regardless of the consequences.

Keep up the good work, that's exactly the teaching they need.

We've discussed it before, North America went thru something similar after WWII. It took a nationwide ad campaign plus teaching in the schools to stop it. The DR is in much worse shape, tossing garbage is just a way of life for some. Yes, there's glimmers of hope. But it would probably take a decade of a nationwide effort and solid teaching in every school to make a lasting change.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
While I agree with you that there is a huge problem, seeing the young protesters cleaning up before and after their demonstrations gives me hope

I think it's great they were cleaning up after the demonstrations.

I would have been even happier if there had been nothing to clean up in the first place.

it's a great start though. Not that long ago there were no articles in the news about cleanups.

You can eat an elephant one bite at a time.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
This will give Dominicans the idea they can pollute because it will be cleaned up.
The only way to stop it is fine the offenders. Make deposits on beer and plastic bottles. And outlaw Styrofoam

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
We have a lot lacks of education, I in a Free Zone, and I see people inside here throwing garbage and from corner to corner you can find here a big garbage can, and every time that rain you can heard people complaning because San Pedro become a big swimming pool.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
This will give Dominicans the idea they can pollute because it will be cleaned up.
The only way to stop it is fine the offenders. Make deposits on beer and plastic bottles. And outlaw Styrofoam

I always say People in Hell want ice water too.

Like Riva, I'm in a Free Zone, and we have the large plastic garbage bins every 100' or so that hold the equivalent of 5-6 55 gal. garbage bags of refuse.

Every morning I watch people walking to work eating food in hand and when they walk by the bin, they throw their garbage in the general direction of the bin, rather than change the direction they are walking by 1-2 degrees so they could score a basket.

That is the mentality behind why we have rivers covered in trash.