Interceptor has arrived

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I always say People in Hell want ice water too.

Like Riva, I'm in a Free Zone, and we have the large plastic garbage bins every 100' or so that hold the equivalent of 5-6 55 gal. garbage bags of refuse.

Every morning I watch people walking to work eating food in hand and when they walk by the bin, they throw their garbage in the general direction of the bin, rather than change the direction they are walking by 1-2 degrees so they could score a basket.

That is the mentality behind why we have rivers covered in trash.
I think this also goes to the quality of the Dominican workforce. If you have ever hired them for work at your house you know what I mean.
The cleaning lady who doesn't move the couch or clean the cosmetics off the top of the toilet tank. Or the handyman who loses your tools as soon as you loan them to him. Or maybe not taking the time to use a level to get things plumb, or forgeting to glue plastic pipe.... I'm sure many people have examples

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Reactions: JD Jones

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I think this also goes to the quality of the Dominican workforce. If you have ever hired them for work at your house you know what I mean.
The cleaning lady who doesn't move the couch or clean the cosmetics off the top of the toilet tank. Or the handyman who loses your tools as soon as you loan them to him. Or maybe not taking the time to use a level to get things plumb, or forgeting to glue plastic pipe.... I'm sure many people have examples

I had a plumber who installed a new water pressure pump for me...I provided all the Teflon tape; he left saying that it was done and working well.
I turned it on and every joint leaked...no Teflon tape!!!
He told me that teflon tape was expensive and the job would cost more if he had to use it...
Did I mention that I supplied the teflon tape.
In the end he did the re-installment of the pump with my Teflon tape... and took what was left with him.

• Haha
Reactions: nanita and CDNBear

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
A week ago I was walking down a country lane, which is quite clean..with my step-son (12) , he stopped and picked up a styro-foam lunch container, cussed under his breath and took it to the closest garbage bin.... all without prompting.

By the way we can recycle styro-foam and PET water bottles with todays technology available.
Russell

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I had a plumber who installed a new water pressure pump for me...I provided all the Teflon tape; he left saying that it was done and working well.
He told me that teflon tape was expensive and the job would cost more if he had to use it...
In the end he did the re-installment of the pump with my Teflon tape... and took what was left with him.
Teflon tape is dirt cheap

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017

mine does I have a great Nanny...... she would kill for me and my family very humble women from the hator mayor,,

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017

it's expect here everyone can do everything. i once had a plumber ask me for my lighter to heat weld the plastic I tolfd him to get your tools and left .. tools was a hack saw blade...

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
An absolute waste of time, funds and energy.

Until people are educated and plastic is banned, it's a lost cause. We lived without plastic and styrofoam before, and it can be done again. But I don't think that will ever happen in the DR. They're going to let the island become a complete dump, beyond repair. Only when tourism drops to nothing because of the garbage, will they get it. But then it's too late.
Agree with the part regarding waste of resources.
Start at he source to prevent the garbage to end in the river. Must be cheaper and more effective use of resources. Here in DR that is a low hanging fruit. Not a cool project though.:cool:

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Imagine here in the DR where the garbage trucks/collection are almost non existent in some regions, or not funded enough.

Use the money to improve that service and start recycling might be another idea.... Preventing most of the plastics to end in the river in the first place.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
For the optimal PET (water bottles) recycling project that would do well in DR look up << J.D.Composites Inc. Meteghan, Nova Scotia recycled PET bottles to houses >> that should get it.
Our Lab ran this project for almost ten years, now very good business.... plenty of PET available in DR to support such a project.
Now a popular recycling project world wide.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Soo, anyone knows if this were an success?

If I were to look only at the DR's track record.
Probably not. Cleaning up the trash is one thing,
teaching people to respect what this beautiful
country has to offer everyone who lives here?
Well, that's gonna take some time,
a lot of time, probably more time than you or I
have left on this planet.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
For the optimal PET (water bottles) recycling project that would do well in DR look up << J.D.Composites Inc. Meteghan, Nova Scotia recycled PET bottles to houses >> that should get it.
Our Lab ran this project for almost ten years, now very good business.... plenty of PET available in DR to support such a project.
Now a popular recycling project world wide.
If we wait long enough for Mother Nature, the plastic gobbling bacterias probably will mutate and be more effective and take care of it as food. Hopefully they don't fart co2

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
If I were to look only at the DR's track record.
Probably not. Cleaning up the trash is one thing,
teaching people to respect what this beautiful
country has to offer everyone who lives here?
Well, that's gonna take some time,
a lot of time, probably more time than you or I
have left on this planet.
Last status report I saw said it were docked for repair

nanita

Jul 28, 2014

hahaha oh God, stories like these remind me of when I lived there and why I left... although I would spend more time down there if I was in a full-service rental behind a big gate... maybe in Punta Cana... ohhhh one can dream...

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Soo, anyone knows if this were an success?

It broke. Last i heard it was being sent out to be repaired. I asked about it a week ago at the Marine Dredging place on Rio Ozama. I ask 3 different uniformed me and they had o idea what happened to it. One guy said that it was parked sith the other Marine boats and he pointed. I told him it has not been ere for at least 3 months. He looked around and gave me the duhhh look. Humans are so clueless.

Reactions: CDNBear

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
It broke. Last i heard it was being sent out to be repaired. I asked about it a week ago at the Marine Dredging place on Rio Ozama. I ask 3 different uniformed me and they had o idea what happened to it. One guy said that it was parked sith the other Marine boats and he pointed. I told him it has not been ere for at least 3 months. He looked around and gave me the duhhh look. Humans are so clueless.
Dominicans are very helpful even when they don’t know answer! ;)

• Love
Reactions: CDNBear

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

It's designed to collect plastic and they used it to collect lilies that damaged it.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Yes, that was my first thought when watching the video celebrating it's first day in the river

It's designed to collect plastic and they used it to collect lilies that damaged it.