International Driving Licence info please

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
Call your insurance company guys! Ask from the Horses mouth yourself!!! Don’t tell them your real name if your worried...
I can only tell you from personal experience on making sure I’m legal for my time here which is under 3 months a time , on this forum you get all sorts of opinions and some things develop legs of there own and people believe as fact after awhile there always was fight here about 30-90 days rules , 3 yrs ago it developed legs that you legal only 30 days long as your tourist card was valid ... the insurance company I posted up above is from well known respected expat insurance broker website...

The insurance company statement in the website that you posted confirms that the insurer will pay 3rd party liability damages in 99 percent of the cases regardless of whether you are here legally. I think what you are confusing is the follow up statement that says an insurance company may not pay for damages to your own vehicle if you are here illegally. English is obviously not the first language of the author in this website, but here's what it says: "CONCLUSION: Every valid car insurance pays the damage or injury of the third party = liability in case of guiltiness! The Full insurance is not obligated to pay the owners damage, but does it in most cases (99%). Every Insurance provides the Guarantee (Fianza) and a Juristic assistance. The insurance from the other party is not obligated to pay your damage when you are guilty!"

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
Upon further study of that insurance company website statement, I think what the author is trying to say is that the insurance company is obligated by Dominican law to pay liability damages on your behalf regardless whether or not you are here legally, but they are not obligated to pay for damages to your own vehicle, even though they typically do 99 percent of the time.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not true it’s not 30 days.. it’s 90 days and 6 months with international DL

For those on a tourist card after 30 days and illegally in the country, how can their license be valid for 90 days or 6 months with an International license?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It can't be and it isn't.

Some appear to be searching for or applying selective logic in a vacuum.

Eg. Visitors may use their foreign license for XX days = applies to everyone, in all circumstances, all the time. That is just not the reality of the legislation.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
For those on a tourist card after 30 days and illegally in the country, how can their license be valid for 90 days or 6 months with an International license?

Agreed. That's only common sense. Whether or not your drivers license is valid becomes irrelevant if you are here in the country illegally. But this thread has morphed off topic. My question was whether the IDL is valid after 90 days in this country if you are here legally - either because you have residency or a visa or whatever. So far all I have seen is varying opinions and anecdotes. And we all know what those are worth in this country. I wish someone could reference an actual definitive and authoritative answer because I can't find it.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
No different then our home countries allowing 1 yr on foreign license but visa is only good 3 month or six.. no where does it say you have to be legal in country for lic to be valid in US or Canada and we know things are ass backwards here..
..call your insurance broker or lawyer , I did before buying car...police don’t even know the rules here and seem to care only that someone’s gonna pay..

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
It can't be and it isn't.

Some appear to be searching for or applying selective logic in a vacuum.

Eg. Visitors may use their foreign license for XX days = applies to everyone, in all circumstances, all the time. That is just not the reality of the legislation.

This horse will not die, will it?