International Solution to The Haitian Problem (OPINION)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
without Haitians nothing would get builted......
lol You are aware the DR existed well before Haitian workers dominated construction, right? It's a comparison of 178 years +/- vs 30 years +/-.

How did anything got built without the Haitians for some 158 years +/-? That's at least 6 generations and something. :unsure:

One of the things that caught peoples attention about Odebrecht (before it was toppled due to a corruption case) was that you pass by a site under their construction and all the workers were wearing helmets and wore safety gear, plus most construction workers were Dominicans. How could it be??? Then you passed by another construction site not related to Odebrecht and, well, it wasn't like that, that's all I'm going to say. Even the construction mess was different, somehow Odebrecht sites were less messy and produced less dust than other construction sites.

Last edited:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
There are so many different types of Haitians - honest and hard working, pleasant, religious. And there are tigres and putas too.
If they are looking to deport them start with the ones who commit crimes in DR.
I find most of the Haitians working near me pleasant.
But I had one run in with a laborer working nearby, who tried to strike one of my dogs with a hammer and swung wildly and struck me in the hand instead, splitting my finger.
For him I would like to see him deported certainly. Luckily for him his fellow workers told him to take the day off because they did not want the scrutiny of the police arriving as I had told them I was going to report the assault. He decided to comport himself respectfully after that day.

Reactions: JD Jones and johne

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
History certainly has a role to play. And we can learn from it. But I really don't see the point in talking about the glory days when the problems that concern us are right now. Look around the Dominican Republic right now. What do you see? Those are the problems that need to be addressed. Are Haitians to blame for all the current problems that exist in the Dominican Republic?
I will be the first one to admit that they are not mine to be addressed. I am already a political refugee from my home country. As a guest in the Dominican Republic I am here at their invitation and I only remain as long as I make a positive contribution to their society.
So, I bob and weave.
I stick and move.
I am making a run for the hills now that city life has become an untenable situation to live with.
I do know this...if anyone wants a different result they have to make a different choice. I choose to run.

It should be noted that over the years of living in the Dominican Republic I have had way more negative experiences (of all types) with Dominicans than I have ever had with Haitians. But since this a thread about Haiti and Haitians I will not write the short story that I could about them.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
History certainly has a role to play. And we can learn from it. But I really don't see the point in talking about the glory days when the problems that concern us are right now. Look around the Dominican Republic right now. What do you see? Those are the problems that need to be addressed. Are Haitians to blame for all the current problems that exist in the Dominican Republic?
I will be the first one to admit that they are not mine to be addressed. I am already a political refugee from my home country. As a guest in the Dominican Republic I am here at their invitation and I only remain as long as I make a positive contribution to their society.
So, I bob and weave.
I stick and move.
I am making a run for the hills now that city life has become an untenable situation to live with.
I do know this...if anyone wants a different result they have to make a different choice. I choose to run.

It should be noted that over the years of living in the Dominican Republic I have had way more negative experiences (of all types) with Dominicans than I have ever had with Haitians. But since this a thread about Haiti and Haitians I will not write the short story that I could about them.
However if you lived in Haiti I am sure you would quickly have some negative experiences with Haitians.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
lol You are aware the DR existed well before Haitian workers dominated construction, right? It's a comparison of 178 years +/- vs 30 years +/-.

How did anything got built without the Haitians for some 158 years +/-? That's at least 6 generations and something. :unsure:

One of the things that caught peoples attention about Odebrecht (before it was toppled due to a corruption case) was that you pass by a site under their construction and all the workers were wearing helmets and wore safety gear, plus most construction workers were Dominicans. How could it be??? Then you passed by another construction site not related to Odebrecht and, well, it wasn't like that, that's all I'm going to say. Even the construction mess was different, somehow Odebrecht sites were less messy and produced less dust than other construction sites.
Odebrecht, despite their corruption at the top is a professional engineering and construction company, with years of international experience.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
However if you lived in Haiti I am sure you would quickly have some negative experiences with Haitians.
The same with being a member of DR1.
I quickly had some negative experiences with them.
And most likely will continue to have them.
Your post not withstanding. LOL!

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Due to geographical reasons, if Haiti prospers, so will the DR and vice versa.

One can moan all day while wringing their hands, Haiti is de-facto DR's " problem" . An economically stronger neighbour is ALWAYS a good thing.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Any posters on this forum board employ Haitians?
I don't.

Like I said recently a few days ago in another thread, I think
population control should be their main focus. They have got
to get a handle on their out of control birthrate before any
country is going to make a real impact throwing money/
additional resources at this problem.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Due to geographical reasons, if Haiti prospers, so will the DR and vice versa.

One can moan all day while wringing their hands, Haiti is de-facto DR's " problem" . An economically stronger neighbour is ALWAYS a good thing.
It goes without saying that a better Haiti helps everyone. Heck, having Haiti be like Jamaica is desirable than what it is today. However, never has the entire island been on the same economic page. When the island was split between the Spanish and the French, the latter were heads over heals in their western strip vs the formers who had most of the island. We are talking they created one of the wealthiest colonies in the history of humanity on the same island the Spaniards created one of the poorest colonies in the Spanish Empire.

Now the former Spanish colony us much ahead of the former French colony with the difference the neither of the two are some of the richest places in the world. Yet, the DR is ahead of most developing countries while Haiti lags behind almost all of them.

The point is there will always be a difference between the two halves. Even during the 200 years or so when the entire island was Spanish, the western part lagged compared to the eastern part (not to mention that then the western part was destroyed circa 1606, the first step,that lead to the creation of Haiti further down the lanes of time).

Looking that the island has always been different (and that's just focusing on the economic side, because there are differences in other aspects too su h as language), I highly doubt any plans to make both halves "equal" will work.