international translation of dominican license (international license)

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
I have read the previous threads on this topic. i have two dominicans travelling to the US to work for the company i do consulting work for. My question is where can they obtain a translation of their dominican license. Is the motor club the only option? And as they are travelling to New Jersey they definitely need this.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I have read the previous threads on this topic. i have two dominicans travelling to the US to work for the company i do consulting work for. My question is where can they obtain a translation of their dominican license. Is the motor club the only option? And as they are travelling to New Jersey they definitely need this.

What type of license? Just driver's license?

Jan 17, 2009
It depends on the state they'll be driving whether or not they can drive with a foreign driver's license. I know I can drive with my DR license in Virginia for example. Otherwise, some states will ask for an International Drivers License. This one is usually issued in the US by AAA. If you get one locally, it may not work as you may still have to take them to AAA for certification that it is indeed a valid international driver's license.

Best course of action for you is to search the State site where they'll be driving.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
It depends on the state they'll be driving whether or not they can drive with a foreign driver's license. I know I can drive with my DR license in Virginia for example. Otherwise, some states will ask for an International Drivers License. This one is usually issued in the US by AAA. If you get one locally, it may not work as you may still have to take them to AAA for certification that it is indeed a valid international driver's license.

Best course of action for you is to search the State site where they'll be driving.

i drive all over USA with my DR license. I was told in state of georgia that i can legally drive for 3 months with my foreign license. I have rented cars all over USA with my DR license.
AZB

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
Although you may be able to drive legally in certain states with only your dominican license the problem here is that the guys will be driving ice cream trucks.
The Police in New Jersey are super sensitive to this. Therefore they must obtain New Jersey licenses when they arrive to the states. (after obtaining social security #s)
Here is why they need the international translation. If they go to the DMV with only the domincan license they will have to take both the written test and a road test which in New Jersey takes 1 to 2 months to schedule. If they have the international translation they only need to pass the written test and will be issued a New Jersey license the same day.
The international license is usually a paper book similar to a passport. Ive seen plenty of them I just dont know where to get it here. If they werent driving ice cream trucks around kids maybe they could get by with only the DR license but that is not the case here.

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013

the NJ DMV only recognizes the international translation issued in the home country