Internet by satellite in the Dominican Republic

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Thanks Dunhill. You took more time than I did initially.

Let me tell you something about doing business in the Dominican Republic. We have never met Dunhill personally. We've had phonecalls, private mail and many communications. From time to time we get enquiries to underbid Dunhill. We have never shopped them, or given a lower quote to get the business. And in return, they have never shopped us.

The reason is simple. Quality respects quality, and respect deserves respect. Its a good thing!

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
archetype said:
While all this is very worthwhile, can one of the experts answer the question of the capability of taking the satellite signal wirelessly to three or four computers?

first let's get rid of a misunderstanding

WiFi and a Satellite signals are apples and pears

The satellite signal feeds the satellite modem

from the modem you have the option to connect other tcpip based hardware

like a WiFi router , a hub, VOIP/SIP phone, IP cam etc as long as it tcpip/IP based

If you want to create a local network than a router (pref. with firewall)
is a good option

This router create a local network and you are able to connect up to 255 pc's (or devices)
Here you start sharing your speed (bandwidth), if evrybody, just, uses plain internet, read email etc than with a 512 connection 10pc's won't give a big problem, because not everybody is downloading something (webpages/emails) at the same time

IF someone is using a P2P application like Edonkey/limewire or is downloading BIG games (lurking) the whole day than this connection will be "eating" the whole bandwidth.

For that reason we always try to find out what the need of the client is, divide/multiply that with the USE and we get a result.

10 wifi laptops from tourists on a 512K connection is very good possible

2 heavy online gamers/downloaders on a 1536k connection can give a "bad" speed for other user(s)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
DunHill said:
For that reason we always try to find out what the need of the client is, divide/multiply that with the USE and we get a result.

10 wifi laptops from tourists on a 512K connection is very good possible

2 heavy online gamers/downloaders on a 1536k connection can give a "bad" speed for other user(s)

Find me one other satellite connectivity business in the Dominican Republic that would ask you any, or even one of these questions. Or even just one question... What do you aim to do with your connection? How many computers, doing what, would you like to have on your connection.

Your local backyard installers treat it like satellite TV. And it is not. OK, I'll get off my high horse now and calm down.

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
And correct me if i am wrong:

A few months ago you told us that there was NO COVERAGE possible in the Dominican Republic, and that it was, even IF, not possible to service equipments in the DR

But your quotes of DW an Starband are correct, but still people go for the "Possible max. speed" whih you never get

iDirect is not so expensive as you state
for $4555 you can have a fully installed system

Arjan

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
good morning to all, any updates on Satellite Internet.. I want ot get off the local companies unstable internet... i am paying abot 80usd per month...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
good morning to all, any updates on Satellite Internet.. I want ot get off the local companies unstable internet... i am paying abot 80usd per month...
Still ridiculously expensive, still absurdly slow, especially upload. There is only so much bandwidth a satellite can handle, unlike ground-based systems that can expand almost infinitely and cheaply...

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Well, I know this may be a little late, but maybe not...I have a 4.5 dish 1 sonic view premier receiver, 2 lnbs, tripod, with 8 Months left of free programming that provides over 800 channels free ready to watch tv upon install, only asking 9,500 pesos and will help install if your close to me...

if this helps anyone here in the DR post away or send me a PM..I'm in pop..Puerto Plata

Anthony

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Hey Chola,

no problems with the Internet for SAT..I have Claro, although I hate them because you cannot get phone seperate from Internet wasting money here...But never a issue for Satellite..

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Hey Chola,

no problems with the Internet for SAT..I have Claro, although I hate them because you cannot get phone seperate from Internet wasting money here...But never a issue for Satellite..

Yes you can get phone without internet, or internet without phone from Claro.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Well, trust me, I have no reason for a phone & Internet.. had the same issue when lived in SD when Claro was Codetel, same story...I had to have both phone & Internet...Has something changed now?? This was a recent install of just 7 Months ago, so got the same story...I would love to cancel my phone service, no need for it..But again, as for Satellite, its great! I was getting 1MBPS, but wanted faster speed..so my SAT works great even with the min MBPS

Ant

Not true me thinks (I am using their service Internet 8 down / 1 up without I had to sign up for phone service too.

Claro - Rep?blica Dominicana

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
You really should work on your Spanish...

No need to sign up for phone & line (I have this connection since more than 7 months already...):

Adem?s....
Ahora puedes tener Internet Fijo sin poseer l?nea fija* en cualquiera de estas velocidades:

Velocidad
Bajada
Subida
Renta RD$
1 mbps 256 Kbps $ 995
1.5 mbps 256 Kbps $ 1,120
2 mbps 512 Kbps $ 1,420
3 mbps 768 Kbps $ 1,920
4 mbps 1 Mbps $ 2,325
6 mbps 1 Mbps $ 3,350
8 mbps 1 Mbps $ 3,850
10 mbps 1 Mbps $ 5,450
15 Mbps 1 Mbps $ 7,450
20 Mbps 1 Mbps $ 10,450
30 Mbps 1 Mbps $ 13,950
40 Mbps 1.5 Mbps $ 17,550
50Mbps 2 Mbps $ 19,650

Precios no incluyen impuestos.

Al adquirir el servicio, el cliente estar? recibiendo un kit de f?cil instalaci?n que incluye el m?dem inal?mbrico gratis. El servicio es activado remotamente por lo que no es necesaria la visita de un t?cnico. En caso de que el cliente desee de todos modos la visita del t?cnico para la instalaci?n del servicio, ?sta tendr? un costo de RD$1,000 m?s impuestos.
Solicita tu servicio llamando a nuestro Centro de Atenci?n Telef?nica en el 809-220-1212, visitando nuestros Centros de Atenci?n a Clientes o Distribuidores Autorizados a nivel nacional.

*they install a line with a wall outlet with plug in for the router/ modem but without plug in for phone.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Mike, appreciate the info, although had to translate it..so, I cut it short and called just now, spoke to Miguel as usual, get him pretty often in the English area..Same story I was told, cannot have Internet without their phone service..That said, can this be an area thing? I live in POP, Puerto Plata, but again, same story when I lived in SD..what gives?? Who can I speak with if your certain I'm being snowed??

Thanks!

Ant

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Dunno, I am in Bavaro.

Since they publish it on their page without pointing out any restrictions one would assume this goes for the whole country...

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Okay Mike,

Thanks, I plan to call back and call them out on their ad...wow, I'm paying over 1,000 pesos more a Month for something I don't need...love it, just love how corrupt they can be...

Thanks again bro

Ant

Dunno, I am in Bavaro.

Since they publish it on their page without pointing out any restrictions one would assume this goes for the whole country...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Don't get disappointed...if I want the 6mb download speed I have now, without phone line I'll pay the same as I do know for Internet + phone (800 mins) + ClaroTV. As soon as I figure out if the orange internet gives a stable speed I'll get the 4g plan of them for my house and will cancel Claro Internet, cable and phone. I'm still hesitating though while the quality of my Claro Internet is excellent.