Internet question.

Aug 6, 2006
I am trying to help the three kids of my GF of three years (7, 15 and 17) to get a passable education, and therefore want to have them able to use the Internet.
They have electricity at least 12 hrs a day in Barahona, but Claro says that the area is too far to string wires to the home. I know that the colmado on the corner, maybe 10 doors down has a phone line, as does a Internet place about two blocks away on a parallel street. Is there some way to get Internet to our house?
Many thanks to all who answer.

Jul 28, 2014
Generally, hanging RG-6 is good for a 150 foot drop (line), beyond that, they should move up to an RG-11 drop to a maximum of 500 feet, beyond that would be a distribution line .500 ID aluminum cased, plastic sheathed. How far are you from the Tap (the connection point where ariel lines thread/connect on to)? Assuming you are looking for Internet over Cable

Aug 6, 2006
Thanks.
I have no idea. I don't know what Claro normally offers to people with a phone line.
All I know is they said it is too far. I don't know how far too far is. I have no experience installing cables, DSL or any other sort of connection.
Could you tell me what is the best way to get some sort of connection? DSL would be okay, I suppose, it works okay for me here in Miami. Cost is a factor.
I donlt much care about Cable TV, either, or "bundles".

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There are no phone lines where we live, we can get internet through Claro either through a dongle that plugs into a USB port, through a small wifi wireless device, or through our phone. We prepay for all of these, so no surprise bills for you, if the use up the prepay they're cut off. They do offer free social media days.

All of this presumes that Claro has a decent phone signal where they live.

Aug 6, 2006
There are no phone lines where we live, we can get internet through Claro either through a dongle that plugs into a USB port, through a small wifi wireless device

Thanks.
Can I buy one of these in the US? What do you call it?
Here at home I need a modem as well as a router. Do you use either or both of those?

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Thanks.
I have no idea. I don't know what Claro normally offers to people with a phone line.
All I know is they said it is too far. I don't know how far too far is. I have no experience installing cables, DSL or any other sort of connection.
Could you tell me what is the best way to get some sort of connection? DSL would be okay, I suppose, it works okay for me here in Miami. Cost is a factor.
I donlt much care about Cable TV, either, or "bundles".

You're probably too far from the CO for DSL; there's a physical distance limitation. You're probably better off getting satellite internet (obviously only good while there's power). Aside from that, does Claro even offer a dialup internet service any longer? If not, I think AOL is still lurking around.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I am trying to help the three kids of my GF of three years (7, 15 and 17) to get a passable education, and therefore want to have them able to use the Internet.
They have electricity at least 12 hrs a day in Barahona, but Claro says that the area is too far to string wires to the home. I know that the colmado on the corner, maybe 10 doors down has a phone line, as does a Internet place about two blocks away on a parallel street. Is there some way to get Internet to our house?

Generally speaking, I?d say it $ound$ po$$ible.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There are no phone lines where we live, we can get internet through Claro either through a dongle that plugs into a USB port, through a small wifi wireless device

Thanks.
Can I buy one of these in the US? What do you call it?
Here at home I need a modem as well as a router. Do you use either or both of those?

You can only get them from Claro. Sometimes they give them for free with a new account.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
... but Claro says that the area is too far to string wires to the home. I know that the colmado on the corner, maybe 10 doors down has a phone line, as does a Internet place about two blocks away on a parallel street. Is there some way to get Internet to our house?

Exactly what is the "reason" for them saying they can not string wires to the home?

Years ago I had a similar problem, my wife's cousin said he knew a Claro executive.
Turns out the "distance" problem was not a signal problem, but a physical problem.

There's a distance limitation between the closet pole and the house.

We were "too far" from the closet telephone pole (Public one, there were 2 Tricom poles).

I bought and had installed two poles and we got our service.

Aug 6, 2006
I suppose that I will have to go there and do the research myself. Again, do I need a router and a modem if I have the dongle or whatever it is?
How does satellite internet work? I thought it was only for downloading.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I suppose that I will have to go there and do the research myself. Again, do I need a router and a modem if I have the dongle or whatever it is?

All you need is the dongle but it has to be plugged into a laptop or tablet with USB port. Otherwise the wireless router, which is smaller than a pack of cigarettes, for non USB or phone internet. Go to Claro.com page and read!

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014

This is probably a schtoopid question: is there a library?

Aug 6, 2006
This is probably a schtoopid question: is there a library?

Well, there is a small library downtown, about a 20 minute motoconcho ride.
There was no apparent internet connection in said library last time I was there.
I will check again, but traveling to that library would probably not result in any serious study.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Satellite internet is YUGELY expensive and very slow.

If you're too far from the switching station DSL won't work. We couldn't rent an amazing house---a real bargain---because there was no consistent high-speed innerweb.

Dongles work but can be inconsistent and problematic...and tough to share: one dongle, one computer. And the bandwidth is limited.

There is a downside to Paradise...

Aug 6, 2006
All I have here in Miami is a DSL connection via Earthlink using ATT lines, and a subscription to Netflix. That costs me about $40 per month.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
S

Dongles work but can be inconsistent and problematic...and tough to share: one dongle, one computer. And the bandwidth is limited.

There is a downside to Paradise...

You can share the dongle - I do it all the time. Control panel, Network and Sharing Centre, Setup new connection, set up a wireless ad hoc network. Dongles depend on the strength of the signal I used one full time for 3 years with few problems.

Matilda

Aug 6, 2006
You can share the dongle - I do it all the time. Control panel, Network and Sharing Centre, Setup new connection, set up a wireless ad hoc network. Dongles depend on the strength of the signal I used one full time for 3 years with few problems.

Matilda

I have noted this for future reference.
I assume that I will not need to take a modem or router with me.
Many thanks.
By the way, what was the cost?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am also "too far" from the Claro central station to receive reliable DSL via their phone lines.
This despite the fact that nothing moved and I used to have OK service from Claro up until one day
a few years ago.

I went with a cable modem from the local cable company. Far better system for my purposes.

Others have mixed success with wireless dongles that are purchased with plans from Claro, Orange and Tricom. Costs vary from all three and depend greatly upon the speed provided.
None of the plans will be inexpensive (and nowhere near as fast as a basic US plan for $50 US monthly). Internet is a rip-off here.

It all depends upon where you are and how good the supplier is in your location.