Internet Speed in DR - In which part of the island a stable connection can be found?

What is your internet speed in DR?

• Total voters

piotrrs11

Dec 11, 2020
EU
Hello,

With friends we are moving to DR and we need internet to be able to work remotely.
A stable connection is required to be able to have an uninterrupted skype call for example.

How is the internet in general in DR?
Is my requirement something hard to cover or most of the places should have a reasonable internet connection?
I believe to have stable call even 4-5 Mbps should be fine.

If possible please give me some picture how it looks (and which part of the island is better taking into account the internet speed if it matters)

Thank you in advance!
BR

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
3.35 download and 2.19 upload. Today is a good day. Usually download is less than upload. De lancer in sosua

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Got claro fiber, supposed to be 20 down/ 10 up
But always get a bit better speeds.
You can get way higher speeds depending on the plan you pick, but no matter how fast you go with the plans, it always comes down to how busy the trunk is that interconnects to the US part of the internet.

This is in Santiago City.
Fiber is not available everywhere in the country! So it all depends on where are you going to select as your home here.

Attachments

• 873E6C8E-062F-4EC4-990C-3F576C3D0D9A.jpeg
    873E6C8E-062F-4EC4-990C-3F576C3D0D9A.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 284
  • Love
Reactions: jinty05

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I've fiber here in upstate NY 944mpbs down and 921mpbs up while my 2nd home in Santo Domingo I've Claro fiber 40mpbs down and 20mpbs up.

I wish DR has like that, but when is the answer?

DR has long way to go to reach everything what USA offers.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I've fiber here in upstate NY 944mpbs down and 921mpbs up while my 2nd home in Santo Domingo I've Claro fiber 40mpbs down and 20mpbs up.

I wish DR has like that, but when is the answer?

DR has long way to go to reach everything what USA offers.

The issue is what they call contestability as well. In DR there is less traffic on the lines, so you get a far better result. Although lines can carry traffic faster in the US, there is a lot more traffic to carry. It's like having a smaller road with less traffic compared to a 7 lane highway which is completely rammed. I have the same setup as you, 1Gb in London and 40Mb in Santo Domingo, but Santo Domingo is always pretty fast, I never have to wait for anything to load, while in London 40Mb would be really slow.

To answer the OP, life in Punta Cana / Bavaro, Santo Domingo and to a certain extent Santiago is very comparable to life in a developed country, you can find most goods and services you need to live a first-world lifestyle. Outside these areas things become considerably more limited and you'll have to make far more compromises.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Middle of nowhere, up north,
4 down , 4.9 up
Real issue for me is the ping. A speed test will tell me 21ms, but in practice I connect to european or US servers, so the real ping is 180-240 ms.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have 10 down 2 up with Claro wireless. Nice when it works, constant disconnects with the wireless. San Cristobal. There are a few areas where Claro offers fiber optic up to 50Mbps if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
While some of the responses can be helpful to the OP, they are slightly skewed and misleading.
A more accurate glimpse of the situation would be to instead present which plans are currently AVAILABLE AND FUNCTIONABLE within various parts of the country by the various providers, with FUNCTIONABLE being key.
Each provider offers several levels of service. A member of the community may state that he has 20down/10up in Barahona, but where does that fall within the alternatives/possibilities available by said providers in that particular region. Bottom, middle, or upper tier of availability and pricing?
It is highly unlikely that some of the more frugal members of this community would be shelling out top coin for the most expensive pricing tiers of service, whereas those that may rely upon such for business purposes would not bat an eyelash.

Reactions: Africaida
Feb 7, 2007
Telecable Internacional, fiber optic 1Gbps down /100 Mbps up, 5400 pesos taxes included. Includes HDTV cable.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Also, bear in mind that some of these options are not available on short term (only yearly contract) and/or harder to get if you are a not resident.

The easier way would be to speak to your landlord see the service he has to see your option. If he is locked in a contract, you can ask for an upgrade even if you have to pay for it.

As Caonabo said it also very location dependent. In LT, some area of the town have fibers while others don't, same with reception.

Make sure you have a back up modem that you can charge because if electricity goes out, you are out of internet. If you have an inversor, even better.

Reactions: nanita