Interpol Takes No Shyte.

hombrenegro

Apr 21, 2006
Ths sure looks like a whitewash to me. Doesn't look like anything more than a couple of hand slaps will come out of this. Very sad state of affairs. There remains no doubt that colusion with drug trafficers goes pretty far up the chain of command of this country. I'm starting to believe that enactment of the early closing law was simply to deflect attention away from the massive drug problem.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You may be right but we obviously didn't get the whole story in the first report since tonight El Nacional has another with additional information. One PP Fiscal is also to be suspended and disciplined, the Army lieutenant has been named, a 23 year old assigned to DNCD only 2 months earlier. He denied firing but they say only he had the type of weapon which caused the death. His case will go to criminal investigation.

There is a lot more information about the various criminal deeds in which the dead Fiscal was allegedly involved, a list of them including ordering hits on traffickers, extortion, ordering a hit on an Italian couple in PP to obtain their house etc etc.

Finally the commission made recommendations about increasing the number of Public Ministry internal affairs staff, being vigilant about their own members' shortcomings and setting up forensics teams to monitor evidence and standards. More here
El Nacional, la voz de todos

El Nuevo Diario

hombrenegro, I think that the suspension of the Fiscals is due in large part to the barrage of pressure kept up by certain papers and particularly the local PP paper where journalists and lawyers formed an alliance as well as political pressure at the local level by functionaries in Sosua. Without that, I don't think it would have happened. Earlier leaks made it look like a low level police officer would be the fall guy (which looks to be the case) and that all Fiscals would get off with no disciplinary action whatsoever.

Expect reaction from the family of the deceased & the Sosua Ayuntamiento shortly.

Island777

Oct 9, 2005
Thank you Lambada

Your efforts posting links to the articles on this subject were a community service. Reading the earlier, now closed, thread reveals how the information dribbled out, some accurate, some not:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/56698-fiscal-sosua-cabello-shot.html?highlight=fiscal+murder

I trust that the DR1 news summary will finally report on this startling incident.

Does anyone know the name and status of the elderly Italian couple in Puerto Plata who Ceballos allegedly sought to have killed?

Has the full report been published online?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
It just seems so convenient for the government that the only person who can't talk anymore is the guilty one !

So all dominicans newspapers are publishing articles explaining how Ceballo was a corrupted official...

Hey, maybe it's true... -Who knows ???

It just sounds like an easy way to settle an embarrassing affair...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There is more in the papers this morning. I can't get into Hoy, for some reason I keep getting an error message and I've tried several different ways. I would have expected there to be some coverage of this story in Hoy today because there wasn't yesterday. So if anyone has better luck than me please post the link here.

I think it would be fair to say that the dead Fiscal was no boy scout. They appear to have on tape his conversations ordering a hit on a known trafficker who subsequently was eliminated. Of course he did not have the right to order a killing BUT since he clearly knew who in the Government or military was protecting this guy, he probably felt that a prosecution would achieve nothing and the guy would walk. There are people who would thus applaud his action of assuring one less trafficker. Remember that 10 days before his death the Fiscal, in a TV interview, signalled that he could get taken out.

The investigation report says this was a botched arrest attempt rather than a deliberate assassination of the Fiscal (well, it would, in any event, wouldn't it?). The report also says that the arrest should have been aborted. There are many who will not believe that it was an attempted arrest because he could have been summoned to SD to the Attorney General's office to be arrested or arrested in his own office in the PP courthouse any day of the week.

The Italian couple have not been named as far as I am aware. Earlier reports said their house was in PP but now it looks like that meant PP province because recent reports are putting their house in Sosua Abajo. As far as I am aware they were not killed - there have been no recent reports on the killing of an expat couple. So this is allegation. The only name given was that of the hired gun, Popo. I don't know if it is the same guy but I knew a Popo when I was visiting Fortaleza (to see an innocent American prisoner) 6/7 years ago. Got to know him quite well since I was there every 2 weeks for 14 months and he was the 'trustee' who used his wheelbarrow to transport food etc from the gate to the cells. Most helpful guy and he would be out now; I hope it isn't him.

So far no reaction in the papers from the Fiscal's family who appear to be in Jarabacoa. There will be, you can count on it! Nor have I seen reaction from the journalist witness whose account does not appear to have been mentioned in the report. For sure, there will be. By ignoring her account they have in effect called her a liar.

I think when reading all the accounts one has to bear in mind that the nature of the Fiscal's job brought him into contact with some pretty unsavoury characters. I also think he didn't always go by the book!! There are accounts that he upset some foreigners by purloining their assets in an illegal way. But there are also accounts that because he tried to shut down drug puntos which kept being tipped off, he stopped using local police and DNCD because he saw them as informing the narcos. Not only that but those police were protected by people pretty high up. He thus used his own private security personnel to make arrests etc and maybe he used the funds of foreigners to finance this?

There are many Dominicans who perceived this man as the Serpico of Sosua (remember the film based on a true story? The undercover cop who exposed police corruption). Exposing police/government corruption is a dangerous occupation in the DR right now. There are many vested interests, the business is very well organised and there are international connections.

There are so many unanswered questions in these reports. It looks like the only criminal investigation will be in relation to the 23 year old lieutenant, who had only been assigned to the DNCD 2 months ago and who says he didn't fire his weapon. No mention of the Colonel who was named as suspended earlier last week. If ever was the time for a truly independent inquiry it is now in this case.

Below are the links to today's papers. Take a look at the readers' letters. And if anyone has information please add to those readers' letters. You can sign in under any name so anonymity is assured. They haven't yet sequestered the papers' computers to trace ISPs! At the end of the day this isn't really about whether the dead Fiscal was a dubious operator or not. It's about a shootout in a residential area which killed a Fiscal at the hands of those sent to arrest him. So both from a moral standpoint and a safety standpoint it affects all of us. If we look the other way on this, we are in no position to complain later when something even worse happens.

CLAVE DIGITAL - DIARIO DIGITAL DOMINICANO DE NOTICIAS

List?n Digital :: La Rep?blica

http://www.elcaribecdn.com/articulo_multimedios.aspx?id=111291&guid=3935525252094EBABB7A772D040E0063&Seccion=63

Sorry if this post is a bit on the long side.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You have to ask yourself were all these journalists at the same press conference when this report was presented because they seem to have picked up different things! Here is Diario Libre's take on this: they talk about how the evidence was manhandled including removal of important evidence from the scene of the crime and they refer to the forensics chief (the 'fumigator' !!) as not following proceedures.
Diario Libre Online

They also ask why if the order to pursue the arrest so late in the day was authorised by Attorney General he isn't being disciplined as the person with ultimate responsability.

El Faro's Tuesday report is here. This actually mentions the fact that the witness journalist Teresa Acosta's evidence has not been touched on in the report.
.: Peri?dico El Faro?Edici?n Digital :.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The family of the dead Fiscal have now responded to the investigation report. Apart from the words they use to describe it, they are pursuing civil proceedings against the investigating commission, the 2 SD Fiscals, the 2 PP Fiscals and maybe even the Attorney General. Hopefully, this will keep things peaceful in Sosua Abajo as the residents can see that family and local politicians are taking legal action.
Bienvenidos al Hoy Digital

It would appear that some of the administrative changes reported yesterday as having been made in the Procuradur?a General were as a result of this report i.e. the removal of the AG's acting deputy who was the one who gave the order to pursue the arrest late at night in Sosua. It would also appear that the forensics chief really IS a fumigator by profession!! When I read that yesterday in Diario Libre I thought it was a tongue in cheek remark by the journalist who had also reported that evidence was prematurely cleared from the crime scene. But todays report clarifies that his profession is a fumigator.............:rolleyes: Would someone else please read the two DL reports and correct me if I'm wrong?
Diario Libre Online
One of the readers' letters points out that he is a proper pathologist!

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It would also appear that the forensics chief really IS a fumigator by profession!!
Someone mentioned the Twilight Zone, in another thread.
I would say that this is a cross between the Twilight Zone and Monty Pythons Flying Circus.
PS: Yes, that certainly is what they wrote in Spanish, in that report.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
'Fumigator' fumes!

It would appear forensics chief has resigned in disgust after the comments in investigation report that he cleared crime scene prematurely & mishandled evidence. Previous link identifying him is correct: qualified in Canada, 24 years experience, medical qualifications, plus postgrad. plus criminal psychology plus alternative medicine. None in fumigation however.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Here's the Listin Diario report about what the family of the dead Fiscal is doing (plus photo of him supervising burning of a punto).
List?n Digital :: La Rep?blica
If they were to get a swift & just victory, it would set a precedent, that could pave the way to erradicating some of the corruption in our present judicial system.
Some of the "higher ups" might get a little bit nervous, to know that they can be prosecuted.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It would appear forensics chief has resigned in disgust after the comments in investigation report that he cleared crime scene prematurely & mishandled evidence. Previous link identifying him is correct: qualified in Canada, 24 years experience, medical qualifications, plus postgrad. plus criminal psychology plus alternative medicine. None in fumigation however.
And he will, no doubt, become the new scapegoat.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
One might hope that 'the fumigator' might make some political mileage out of this by inviting the press along to a "Freebie" at the Police Headquarters & Judicial offices of those who compiled the report. He could "Fumigate" to eradicate cockroaches, lice, general vermin etc & then spray the whole area with a perfume to get rid of all the nasty smells!!

It will have to be a very strong aroma though!! ~ Grahame.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
One might hope that 'the fumigator' might make some political mileage out of this by inviting the press along to a "Freebie" at the Police Headquarters & Judicial offices of those who compiled the report. He could "Fumigate" to eradicate cockroaches, lice, general vermin etc & then spray the whole area with a perfume to get rid of all the nasty smells!!

It will have to be a very strong aroma though!! ~ Grahame.
This has probably been going on, since the beggining of time.
Now, with all the press and easy communications, it's coming out into the open.
Maybe there's hope, yet.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There is a lot about this case in today's papers; I'll try and summarise. On Friday Hoy published the reaction of the family of the deceased who called the report 'cunning, foul and full of irregularities'. They also said that anyone whose information did not accord with the report had their testimony discounted. El Nuevo Diario reports the Ceballos family lawyer as saying that Dr. Fontaine's report confirmed that the dead Fiscal did not fire his weapon and that all the bullet holes in his vehicle were from the outside in. The Attorney General said that Dr. Fontaine had not resigned but had in fact been fired, as reported in Diario Libre. It also said Dr. Fontaine has outstanding business with the justice department and is due to be prosecuted. Beginning to look like a pretty dirty campaign, isn't it? There is also a lot of coverage in the print version of El Faro which does not appear in the online version including the replacement of the suspended Fiscal Domingo Belliard by Jesus Maria Suero. The Editorial is devoted to this subject plus a nice little news item announcing that Sunday will be celebrated as Judicial Power day in Puerto Plata. No comment!
El Nuevo Diario
Diario Libre Online
.: Periódico El Faro • Edición Digital :.
.: Periódico El Faro • Edición Digital :.